Duke's Daughter-In-Law- Gretchen Wayne

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 26 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Paula.

• Re: Duke's Daughter-In-Law- Gretchen Wayne

Hi ethan
      there's just a little change.
      the 1st was in the preview of Hondo and the second was in the preview
      show of High and the Mighty.
      However , these photos are almost the same.:wink_smile:

Taka
      Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
      ~Steve McQueen~

The post was edited 1 time, last by H.sanada ().

Keith,
      Just how well do you know Gretchen Wayne ?
      :glare:
      I first met her in the 1980s with Mike at the Bank in Beverly Hills , and I can tell you First Hand that Batjac is All About M-O-N-N-E-Y !
      :hyper:
      You must remember Gretchen is Not of John Wayne Blood, and it is only because of Mike Wayne that She Now Has Batjac and now has Control of Many of Duke's Great Films !
      :cry2:
      Bill
      :cowboy:

The post was edited 1 time, last by William T Brooks ().

Thanks for posting this interview. It certainly is nice to get a tough of something non-negative about Gretchen. However, I got a feeling from her last few answers, that she can be a pretty difficult person to deal with and that for some strange reason, she does not want to give much to Dukes fans. I mean, whats the big deal about creating a Museum or to donate some money to the one that's trying to be built in Iowa? From the looks of it, it does not sound like Gretchen is hard up for cash and she could easily afford sending some money towards that project.

Just my two cents worth.
      Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

For continuity,
      Here are copies from the YouTube thread

28th. August 2008
      William T Brooks

Re: Gretchen Wayne talks about John Wayne.
      Great T.V. Story, and it never fails to Amaze me that The Duke is thought of this way all over the World, after He has been Gone for Almost 30 Years Now !

I know that at the Museum the Hundreds of People that come from Over Sea want to Hear all the Stories about the Duke, and You Brits want to Hear all about "Brannigan" and "The Quietman," and Victor and Maureen, and what they were Realy Like ?

Bill

28th August 2008
      DukePilgrim

Re: Gretchen Wayne talks about John Wayne.
      I dont think any of the Wayne family have time for fans or any idea of a museum. By their reckoning the fans took enough of their father's time when he was alive.

The ironic thing is that Duke's films have remained popular without any help as no individual or company controlled all of his output. Can you imagine if Batjac was in charge of DVD releases. Look how long it took for Hondo Island in the Sky and High & Mighty to appear.

An example to remember is Laurel & Hardy whose rights to Hal Roach films were sold to one company in charge of releasing videos then DVDs. Their films ceased to be broadcast on TV for over 10 years and as a result their popularityand recognition with the public and potential new fans has free falled.

The post was edited 1 time, last by ethanedwards ().

Hondo Duke Lane wrote:

I can't remember where I read the information I have but from what I remember about Gretchen taking over Batjak after Mike's passing. No family member wanted to take over the production company, and Gretchen has been in this business for a while, so she accepted the head job. Again, I don't remember where I read this, but it was at the time of Mike's passing.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

You could have read it at JWayne.com

Not sure about the "No family member wanted to take over" part but this article was insightful: jwayne.com/news/archives/00000073.shtml
      Kevin - Moderator/Administrator
      jwayne.com

Kevin wrote:

You could have read it at JWayne.com.
      Not sure about the "No family member wanted to take over" part but this article was insightful: jwayne.com/news/archives/00000073.shtml

We did, and found it Very insightful !

Thanks Kevin.

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs :angel1:

The post was edited 1 time, last by chester7777 ().

A nice photo of Gretchen, with
      some of Duke's grandchildren and great-grandchildren

Gretchen Wayne & Family

Photo includes, Duke's grand-children,
      Christopher Wayne, Maria Wayne King, Josie Wayne,
      children of the late Michael and Gretchen Wayne
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 1 time, last by ethanedwards ().

• Re: Hondo (1954)

Here's an interview with Gretchen Wayne (Michael's widow) about the new Blu-ray of Hondo. She also discusses True Grit (old and new) and other titles she'd like to see on Blu-ray.

hometheaterforum.com/t/321298/…-blu-ray-release-of-hondo