General "RIP" announcements that might be of interest

There are 3,145 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,130,779 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I know this is way off topic but I felt I needed to let you good people know that George S. Patton IV passed away recently. I just found out myself a few days ago.

He was a Major General (2 Stars) and he passed away on: June 27 2004 from Parkinsons Disease.

Rest In Peace George. :(

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Was this General Patton the son of the WW2 Patton? If so, I served with him in Germany during my second tour there. We were both assigned to Headquarters, U.S. European Command at Patch Barracks, Stuttgart.

I used to visit the Rod & Gun Club to shoot pool and drink beer. General Patton also hung out there quite a bit. He was much less flamboyant than his father. In fact, he was downright shy and retiring.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Greetings Stumpy, I don't know the the answer but, I figure since he is GSP the 4th, I figure he is Blood -n- Guts's Grandson. My roommate alse served with him but I don't yet know details. I will ask him tonight for info though.

I wonder if the Patton you served with resembled his famed relative in the way of looks? I have never seen a picture of any Patton other that GSP Jr, and his father and grandfather.

Best regards TRK.

• Boxing legend Max Schmelling passed away at the age of 99. He was lifelong friend with Joe Lewis-the man who beat him in a match I think in 1936? in New York.

Max was a Pro Boxer before WWII, then was forced by the nazi's to join the Luftwaffe and become a Paratrooper, and was used as a propaganda tool. One of the jumps he made as a Para was on Crete where he was badly wounded and recieved several combat and bravery decorations because of. He hater hitler and the nazis. Sometime after the war, he became owner of the Coca Cola Bottling Company in Hamburg, Germany.

Also, Actor John Vernon (Dean Wormser in Animal House) passed away today from complications due to Heart surgery, he was 72.

And last but not least, Ossie Davis, who was found dead in his hotel room in miami. I thinkhe was 86? I enjoyed seeing him in the TV series w/ Burt reynolds called: "Evening Shade."

May all of these celebrities rest in peace.

• It is a sad day for those men, but a great one for the Lord above. I also honor those men. I learned a lot about Max Schmeling today, and find his interesting. Thanks for your input Carl. And Ossie Davis was 87. He was a very inspiring man. And will be missed.

John Veron, well what can you say, he's Dean Wormer, and a very good one.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi Ringo ?Hondo

I agree its a sad day

I watched Ossie davis recently in The Scalphunters with Burt Lancaster

and of course John Vernon also played Ben Larking in Brannigan, another one of the dukes Co-workers gone.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• :cowboy: Hi Hondo D.L /Arthur.

Yeah, they are all not intertaining the good LORD but they sure are all missed from here. Speaking of John Vernon, he also played Fletcher in The Outlaw Josey Wales. I always like watching him.

As for Ossie Davis, he was great in the only thing I can recall watching him in which was the TV series: Evening Shade.

Max Schmelling won the first fight between him and Joe Lewis, but lost the second fight to him. I thought it was great that Max & Joe became great friends though.

Hondo, thank you for the age correction, I could not remember if he was 87 or not at that time. And a bit more for you on Max Schmelling. Max Schmelling did not like talking about his experiances in WWII. He focused on his first love which was his Boxing career. I am greatful for the fact that Max Schmelling had a VERY comfortable existance for most of his life after WWII.

He must have been a "headache" of sorts to Hitler and his henchmen. Being too popular to ever make any charges stick, and also I thought it was great at how Max Schmelling helped hide a good number of Jewish refugees during the war. He hid them in his home and I think even had a few "employed" to watch after his family and his home.

Max Schmelling is a hero in my book. :)

• At sometime today, one of THE best actors from the U.K. and one of my all-time favorites SIR JOHN MILLS, has passed away. :( I don't know any details but I do know that what made me become a fan of his was when I saw the movie: Dunkirk, and another called: The Four Feathers; which he starred in.

May he Rest In Peace.

• Hi Ringo

He was one of my favourite actors gaining an oscar for Ryans Daughter. As far as I know he never appeared in The Four Feathers, but was very good in Hobsons Choice, Dunkirk and Ice Cold in Alex. He was 97 when he died.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Rest In Peace Sir John Mills, a very fine actor indeed.I remember him very well in Dunkirk,King Rat and...who could forget The Colditz Story.He lived a very long and full life.

-IHW

• Hi Arthur and all. Yep, he was in The FOur Feathers (The original one) as one of the British Soldiers who were thrown into an Dervish prison. I can't remember the name of his character though because its been many years since I last saw the original. BTW, the remake of it was excellent as well.

IHW, thanks for jarring my memory. I could not remember which Colditz movie he was in.

• I was sorry to hear this news this morning, John Mills was a great patriot for the UK and he will be sadly missed.

I am currently reading the book 'Great Expectations' and I look forward to the movie with Mills in it as I hear it is terrific.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• I like Sir John Mills a lot and didn't know he played in some of the movies that were listed in His Life. I was checking to see if he might have played in any movies with Duke, but I should have known when no one mentioned that he did. I though he might have played in The Longest Day but was mistaken.

Anyway what a great life he had and the many contributions he gave back to so many. He will be missed and I guess another one who is listed as the last of the great ones.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi all

I know whenever I watch Ice Cold in Alex, and John Mills downs in one go the glass of beer while the others watch, it always puts me in the mood for one.

He made a lot of British war movies playing everything from the lower ranks to the highest ranking officer. A great actor.

Did you know that he and his wife were married for over 65 years, and they never spent so much at a single night apart in all that time.

may he rest in peace.

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• If anyone ever watched the Batman TV series like I did, you will remember him as The Riddler. Well, he passed away from a mixture of Cancer, Pneumonia and something else.

Rest in Peace sir. I for one always liked watching you and I will miss your presance on screen.

• Thanks Ringo, for the news. He can also be seen in the film Warlock with Richard Widmark and Henry Fonda.

-ncb

My heroes have always been cowboys.

• Frank Gorshin was an amazing talent. He could play ruthless gangsters, he could be really silly and hilariously funny, and he could do some of the best impressions that I've ever seen!

And he put all of that together as the Riddler on Batman. He was silly and funny, but underneath all that he came across as ruthless and very willing to kill anyone who posed a threat to him. That's hard to do - be both funny and menacing at the same time, but he did it with ease!

He will definitely be missed.

• Hi -
    If my information is correct, Frank Gorshin appears in tonight's season finale of CSI. Speaking of Richard Widmark, Gorshin reminded me of similar characterizations. But that is just a generalization. Gorshin will be missed.
    Cheers - Jay :(

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I remember him in the Batman show, may the good Lord look after him.

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.