General "RIP" announcements that might be of interest

There are 3,145 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,136,339 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Like Hondo/Mike said, life is like that. Unfortunately, most of these folks have been out of the spotlight for a while so we haven't been thinking about them until they pass on. Then it is a shock to our senses and we grieve.
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

"Not hardly!!!"

• Carl,
    As long as it's not us, perhaps!!!

Hi Keith, I definately hear you on that one! :thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

Well-said Saddletramp, Mike, Bill, Jay, :thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

Im embarassed to admit, that years ago I was like that and didn't miss them. As I grow older and hopwfully wiser, my tastes have changed for the better I think? and I realize how wrong I was in not appreciating some of them as much as I do now.

I didn't really care to watch movies that has people like Barbara Stanwyck, Clifton Webb, Spencer Tracy etc etc in them. Now days, I thoroughly enjoy movies much more when I do see them and their likes.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• You know they were the ones who were from the golden age of Hollywood including Duke, and they set the standards of film making today. If you notice that they are remaking many of the classics and making sequels because in my opinion, they don't know what works today, and don't have a story to tell. They also think we are stupid.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I didn't really care to watch movies that has people like Barbara Stanwyck, Clifton Webb, Spencer Tracy etc etc in them. Now days, I thoroughly enjoy movies much more when I do see them and their likes.

Tastes change over the years, but another reason we look back on these actors and their movies with more respect and admiration is that they have an enduring quality that seems to have been lost in recent generations.

"Not hardly!!!"

• I agree with Hondo and Jay 100%. And it is my faith as well that gets me through as I see those who represent the "good 'ole days," pass on. Those days gone by are really GONE. I am grateful that I was born in a time when those like Duke were still here setting the standard and blessing our lives. I would hate to think of never having the honor and priviledge of them gracing my life. The memories they leave behind for us are some of the most cherished.:cry2:

Cindy

• Well-said Princess, I feel the same way as you do. I guess that mostly from here on-im only going for older movies. Im looking forward to very few films these days.

• Thanks Cindy for the gracious thought, and your insight. I agree with you and wish I got to know more of those great ones myself. I miss them but am glad to see them everyday on the screen.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I know we have lots of RIPs about stars that have appeared with John Wayne in one or more of his movies, or classic movie stars, but occasionally there might be news stories of someone's passing that might be of interest because that person was in a classic movie or something along those lines.

I heard this story today, about the passing of Fred Crane, who played one of the Tarleton twins in Gone with the Wind (the other twin was played by George Reeves, famous for his role in the fifties' TV show Superman). He was 90.

Anyway, when we hear of similar stories, of a "smaller" nature, now we have a place to share them.

Chester :newyear:

• I just heard about this late yesterday but, Actor Jeff MacKay-best known for his roles in Baa Baa Blacksheep As Lt. Don French, in Tales of the Gold Monkey as Stephan Collins's Mechanic "Corky" and also in Magnum P.I. who was a USN Intelligence Operator who Magnum was always pestering and who was later on killed by Ivan-passed away last week. May he Rest in Peace.

Sorry for the run-on sentence.

• the actor who played the indian chief in hondo has passed today at the age of 88 (he was an aussie)

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Hi

One other loss related to Duke was the death on 31st March 2008 of the director Jules Dassin who died in Athens.
    The director of Re-Union in France he was victim of the HUAC trials of the late 40s and 50s.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Michael Pate who played the Apache Chief in Hondo passed away on monday 1st September 2008, he was 81. A story about Michael Pate, he was born in Australia & went to the states as a young actor to try his luck. He landed small parts in tv like Batman & Get Smart before landing his big part in Hondo.

May He Rest In Peace

• Timtam1,
    Thanks for your post and informing us.
    The passing of this fine actor,
    has already been posted earlier,
    so I have merged your post.
    He was born in 1920, so he was 88!
    Michael Pate was brilliant as Vittorio
    in Hondo
    He also played Puma
    in McLintock
    He was also a character actor in many Classic TV Westerns,
    and other TV series.
    May he rest in peace.

1920- 2008

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 8 times, last by ethanedwards ().