General "RIP" announcements that might be of interest

There are 3,145 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,135,531 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• This is a sad day to hear about a great actors passing. I too always liked Michael Pate. I thought his role as Vittorio was absolutely brillient! Rest in Peace ;(

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• RIP to one of my favorite actors, Paul Newman. Except for his political views, I thought he was a class act and loved alot of his movies. I pray for his wife a fine actress as well. I think what I revere the most from Paul and his wife is that they were a Hollywood couple who stayed together there whole lives. He will be missed by alot of people.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• RIP to one of my favorite actors, Paul Newman. Except for his political views, I thought he was a class act and loved alot of his movies. I pray for his wife a fine actress as well. I think what I revere the most from Paul and his wife is that they were a Hollywood couple who stayed together there whole lives. He will be missed by alot of people.

Agree with everything you said, Todd.

I've said before that although the Duke was my favorite actor, I thought Paul Newman was the best actor. And there is a difference.

I can think of at least 6 or 7 movies that I thought he should have won the Best Actor Oscar.

I also very much admired the fact that he and Joanne stayed together their whole lives, unlike so many in Hollyweird.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Here are some of Paul's personal qoutes:

"The light that you think you emanate is not necessarily the light that other people see. You think of yourself as a shy, retiring whatever it is, and some other people will see you in an entirely different way. ... You have to constantly learn. Obviously, you have to start with some kind of gift, but people don't understand that. ... I don't have a gift for anything. I've only had a gift of pursuit." — 1990.
    ___
    "I remember a speech I did at a graduation. I was saying how you spend your whole life trying to get 'it' and you never know what the 'it' is. You want to connect somehow, to be in touch, and this business is terrible because it encourages you to create that protective wall. Otherwise, you get eaten alive." — 1994.
    ___
    "There aren't many jobs you do where you do your work and people criticize you in print and on television about it. 'He's really off. He shouldn't do that.' ... They praise me, too, but that can be just as bad." — 1994.
    ___
    "I didn't seek out those (anti-hero) roles. They're probably written better. ... Maybe it's because the writers, good writers try to choose people who are loners or are anti-heroes for characters. You can probably find some good connection between that and their own writing talent." — 1994.
    ___
    "I've been trying to quit almost everything I do for the last 10 years, and I've managed to quit absolutely nothing. ... I was going to give up my race team, I was going to quit racing. I was going to quit films. I was going to turn the salad-dressing business over to somebody else. And get out of politics. And unfortunately, I'm busier now than before." 2002.

"I used to make three pictures a year, and now I make a picture every three years. Things change. There have been a lot of good things out there, but they weren't the kind of pictures that I wanted to make. I didn't want to do pictures about explosions. I don't want to do pictures about shattered glass and broken bodies and blood. That just doesn't interest me." 2002.
    ___
    On his longevity: "Luck. ... Genetics is luck. Appearance is luck ... being born in the United States." — 1999.
    ___
    On working with Robert Redford on "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" and "The Sting": "We were lucky. We did two almost perfect films together. And to try to maintain that special quality is pretty tough." — 1999.
    ___
    On continuing acting or not: "There's a lot of stuff floating around, but I don't like to talk about it until it's in cement. I think I'd like to make one more film and then take a powder. It's time Joanne and I spent quality time together." — 2005.
    ___
    On his Newman's Own food business: "I got into the theater because I was running away from the sporting goods business. I could never understand the romance of it — I mean, of any (retail) business. ... Now that I'm in this business, I understand the allure of market share, and killing the opposition. ... Yes, I'm very competitive." — 1999.
    ___
    On auto racing: "Young (drivers) think about winning. I think about whether I'm going to have a pulse. ... When you get older and older, you start slowing down. Everything is off one-50th of 1 percent. Your eyes are a little off, your reflexes, touch — everything. You multiply that by just a factor of 1 percent, that's two or three seconds a lap." — 1990.
    ___
    "I don't regret anything. It came at the right time. I was getting bored acting. ...You become passionate about one thing, it leads back into something else. If you can gain a sense of passion and commitment in your life in one arena, it's bound to bleed back into other arenas. ... In all the things I started to attack — football, tennis — I had no gift for it at all. I had no gift for racing, either. It's just something that I really wanted to do." — 1990.
    ___
    "I'm thrilled. I'm on a roll now, and maybe now I can get a job." — Joking after winning his first best-actor Oscar in 1997.

-John Wayne

• Depends on what you mean by "their whole lives". Newman and Woodward were married for 50 years and he was the only husband that she ever had but, Paul Newman was married for 9 years to another woman, Jackie Witte with which he three kids, including his late son, actor Scott Newman. But if you go by Hollywood years, then yes, they were together their whole lives. Cause being married for 50 years in that world is about 100 in the normal world.
    And he was a liberal but, I never heard him flaunt it or go around like some of the Hollywood left and say nasty things about the right. I think he kept it close to home and he was certainly a very selfless person, what with taking whatever money was made from his Newmans Own food products and giving it to charity.
    My personal favorite Newman movies:
    Cool Hand Luke
    Exodus
    Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid
    Cat On A Hot Tin Roof
    Slap Shot
    The Sting

• Here's an interesting thought . . . with which I don't necessarily agree . . . .

A local radio show host was talking about Paul Newman's death, and what a class act he and his wife Joanne Woodward were (I do agree there). He (the host) was suggesting that he thought that the next comparable couple from Hollywood would be Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. I don't know about you, but I think the stars from yesteryear are in a class by themselves, never to be replaced. It was a different era, never to be repeated.

Chester :newyear:

• Here's an interesting thought . . . with which I don't necessarily agree . . . .

A local radio show host was talking about Paul Newman's death, and what a class act he and his wife Joanne Woodward were (I do agree there). He (the host) was suggesting that he thought that the next comparable couple from Hollywood would be Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. I don't know about you, but I think the stars from yesteryear are in a class by themselves, never to be replaced. It was a different era, never to be repeated.

Chester :newyear:

I don't even think Jolie and Pitt are married, are they?? Plus, she is too excentric to have the relationship last. She will have to be "stimulated" by someone else shortly!!!

-John Wayne

• I understand what you are saying but I meant it as they stayed true to each other. There are many people who marry young and find out they shouldn't have for many countless reasons but then find a person they do spend the rest of there lives with. I would also venture to say there is not alot of people in the whole country that are married 50 years..... And to be in Hollywood, I think they deserve a medal or something!!

-John Wayne

• See you Paul, God speed, we will miss ya.

I had the good fortune to see him at Limerock, Conn at his home racetrack in the late 70's. He and Joanne said hello to the whole group of us from atop a motorhome. He had just gotten done qualifying laps. He was a few classes up on our 240Z we ran.

• R.I.P. Paul Newman.

here is Maggie Van Ostrand's nice story.
    Paul Newman wasn’t just an Oscar-winning movie star and director, he was a philanthropist, practical joke player, and award-winning race car driver.
    The roles he chose were immortalized by his outstanding performances in films like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Hud, Cool Hand Luke, Somebody Up There Likes Me, The Hustler, The Sting, The Verdict, The Color of Money. He was an electric Mt. Rushmore with a thousand twinklers behind his bright blue eyes
    And he tried to soften the effect he had on fans. Here are two stories of what it was like to encounter Paul Newman face to face:
    When I was an agent, my office was at 9000 Sunset Blvd., a building owned by several show business people, including Paul Newman. I often saw him on the elevator, said hi, and averted my eyes out of respect (but it was really because I didn’t want him to think I was uncool or a slobbering fan).
    One night about 2:00 a.m., I pulled out of the parking garage in my new Mustang convertible and at the first traffic light on unusually empty Sunset Boulevard, I happened to look next to me while waiting for the light to go green. There was Newman grinning at me and gesturing with his forefinger mutely inviting me to race him down Sunset. He was in a beat-up VW bug, rusty-reddish in color, and faded. Really dinky looking. No contest.
    I had a new Mustang. No contest. I shrugged “sure, why not?” and, when the light turned green, I jammed down the pedal. Before it even hit the floor, I was covered in his dust.
    Next day somebody told me Newman did that all the time, that he had a racing engine under that crappy looking hood and was always on the lookout for victims.
    Another time, a Michigan tourist visited a small Connecticut town. Sunday morning, she got up early to take a long walk. After a brisk five-mile hike, she decided to treat herself to a double-dip chocolate cone, and stopped in at the local ice cream parlor.
    One other person was in the shop. Paul Newman. He was sitting at the counter having a doughnut and coffee.
    The woman’s heart skipped a beat as her eyes made contact with Newman’s famous baby-blues.
    The actor nodded hello and the flustered, star struck woman smiled back. Now what?
    Pull yourself together, she told herself. You’ve got a life. He’s just a person like you. Oh really?
    The clerk filled her order and she took her double-dip chocolate ice cream cone in one hand andher change in the other. Then she went out the door, avoiding another glance in Paul Newman’s direction.
    When she reached her car, she realized that she had a handful of change but her other hand was empty. Where’s my ice cream cone? Did I leave it in the store? Back into the shop she went, expecting to see the cone still in the clerk’s hand or in a cone holder on the counter. No ice cream cone was in sight.
    With that, she looked over at Paul Newman. His face broke into his familiar, warm,friendly grin and he said to the woman,
    “You put it in your purse.”
    Hemingway said of bullfighters that they lived all the way up. So did Paul Newman.

regards,
    Taka

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• Thanks for that, Taka - those were cute anecdotes. Like other people have said, he was a class act.

One of my favorite Newman movies, which I don't think has ever received the attention it deserved, was "Sometimes A Great Notion". It also starred Henry Fonda and Richard Jaeckel.

• To me, one of the most fascinating aspect of Paul Newman's career was the huge contradiction between his real and his screen persona.

As everyone knew, he was the archtypical liberal in real life. Which means he would undoubtedly embrace government, as all liberals do. Government stands for authority. Yet Paul's most memorable roles had him playing a rebel, totally rejecting any kind of authority, including government.