General "RIP" announcements that might be of interest

There are 3,145 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,145,608 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I saw it posted but Hawkswill asked,

Please clue me in as to "SLY" and "SAGE". Somehow or other these have totally gotten by me. As for "SLY"....all I can think of is Stallone.
    Thanks ahead of time. KPKEITH

I thought that would answer his question.

• Oscar Winner Celeste Holm Dies

Academy Award winner Celeste Holm, who was the original girl who couldn't say no in Broadway's landmark musical Oklahoma! before she carved out a serious film career in the late '40s and '50s, has died, according to New York news station NY1. She was 95 and had been suffering heart and other ailments, say recent reports.

A New York City native of Norwegian descent, she had studied drama at the University of Chicago before landing a series of Broadway roles, starting in a short-lived 1938 comedy called Gloriana. But it was her Ado Annie, the good-natured girl of easy virtue in Rodgers and Hammerstein's 1943 tribute to the farmer and the cowboy, that made her a star and led to a contract with 20th Century Fox.

Among her movies was the groundbreaking indictment of anti-Semitism, Gentleman's Agreement (1947), for which she won the Oscar as Best Supporting Actress. She played a fashion editor who befriends the investigative journalist played by Gregory Peck.

Another strong role was that of the long-suffering wife of the playwright in the film classic about the stage, 1950's All About Eve, starring Bette Davis.

In lighter roles, Holm played the photographer girlfriend of the Frank Sinatra character in the musical High Society, and she had an active TV career, earning Emmy nominations for Insight and Backstairs at the White House.

Married five times, Holm, on her 87th birthday, wed opera singer Frank Basile, who was 41. He survives her, as do two son and three grandchildren.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20612122,00.html

• Not too familar with her work but do remember her in "Promised Land" TV series with Gerald McRaney. A lot of losses out there. RIP Cheste Holm.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi

I heard that she was not well and that her husband had taken her out of hospital to be with her own things.

I liked her in High Society with Frank Sinatra.

RIP Celeste another one gone.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Rest in peace, Kitty Wells. Your music will live on forever! - I love Your music!

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

• Rest in Peace Will, it must have been great to have Elizabeth Montgomery as your wife while she was still around. I miss her greatly too.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Although Gordon McCrae certainly didn't need any help in his roles, Celeste really worked great with him in Oklahoma. I saw him in a summer theater production of the same. Once, he got his gun caught getting up out of a chair......he went on and just put it into the show as if it was supposed to be like that. As Pappy said, "accidents happen", its what the actors make out of them that makes them good or bad. Very long and productive life.

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Most correct Tennesseean. It was Shirley Jones, I believe, with Gordon and although she was good, Celeste was much better. Thanks for correcting me.

KP

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE