General "RIP" announcements that might be of interest

There are 3,145 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,150,837 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• As you thought of Shall We Gather at the River, I thought of The Streets of Laredo which was one of the first songs I learned to play on the guitar and sing. He used that as a lullaby in Three Godfathers. KEITH

I know that he originally wanted to be a singer, but did not think he was good enough. Personally I think he had a very good singing voice.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• I know that he originally wanted to be a singer, but did not think he was good enough. Personally I think he had a very good singing voice.

I saw somewhere once where he talked about trying to become a singer as his mother, Olive didn't want him to be in the movie business. Some folks have stage presence and a great voice, some just have the great voice. Think Dobe was one of the latter. I met Vic Damone when he played golf at my club one week. He was a super nice guy but just seemed kind of "blah" for lack of a better term.....just no pazzazz or something. Anyway, it made me realize what Frank Sinatra meant when he said that Vic had the "best pipes" in the business just had no stage presence. So, he finally found himself doing "opening acts" for either great singers or comedians. I once saw him open for Schecky Green in Vegas....pretty sure it was Schecky.

Also, don't know how you did it, but thanks for naming the pics for Jim on Duke's older years. I posted after that and put a picture on there that Jim couldn't get on.....also showing him how to post without the numbers on the bottom and making the pictures larger, LOL. Can you identify that other picture also, please. KEITH

I believe Dobe, after trying the singing and having Pappy give him The 3 Godfathers part, realized he really had it made with the people who loved his father and who would help him along in his career as a character actor. He knew he would never be a leading man, and it didn't seem to bother him. KEITH Sure did get better as a character actor as he got older though......danged good, I would say.

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

Edited once, last by Hawkswill: mistakes ().

• Speaking of Shecky Greene, I sure wished that he had stayed on COMBAT for at least a full season--he was good VERY good as Braddock.

Never saw him on that...didn't even know he was on TV. Only knew Shecky from Vegas. He was a very funny man both on and OFF the stage! Like Ukie Sherin, Sheck was a "laughing machine", LOL! Hmmm, thought I had read he was on it for two years..must have "misread". I am surprised anyone knows who Shecky was......thought he was mainly a Vegas and nightclub type figure.....but then that was in the early '70s, so maybe he was only that then? Keith

• Never saw him on that...didn't even know he was on TV. Only knew Shecky from Vegas. He was a very funny man both on and OFF the stage! Like Ukie Sherin, Sheck was a "laughing machine", LOL! Hmmm, thought I had read he was on it for two years..must have "misread". I am surprised anyone knows who Shecky was......thought he was mainly a Vegas and nightclub type figure.....but then that was in the early '70s, so maybe he was only that then? Keith

Actually, I had never heard of him until I saw him on COMBAT. He was on it in the first season and was only on about 8 episodes. He was Pvt. Braddock, and was hilarious. One of my all time most favorite episodes in the entire series has him becoming a driver for a Colonel Clyde, excellently played by: Keenan Wynn. It was because of that episode--that I became a Keenan Wynn fan ;-))

Keenan Wynn was in two episodes of COMBAT. In the one that Shecky was his driver--nobody dies or really gets injured. You will have to see it because it was a great episode--as most were ;-))

Forgot to mention, if you get hold of some season one eps--Greene is the one wearing the camouflaged combat pants.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Keith, et al...

From what I understand, Dobe thought he might be suited for a career in Opera or Oratorio singing (soloist for choral works), but found his voice was not as strong as he would've needed it to be, nor as durable.

I don't think he ever wanted to be a "crooner" like Sinatra, Damone, Crosby, etc, etc...that is: a singer of popular music.

The presumption regarding stage presence or charisma being integral to a performer's career (especially in THAT genre) is SPOT ON.

As time has passed, more and more singers (from the earliest days of performance) have benefited from a savvy PR campaign that tells the general public what they really like to hear (even if they never thought they did!), and tells them who they want to hear, as well.

For nearly EVERY singer (but not all) that has ever had any success (read: made $$$), there are at least 50 other unknowns that are even better than the ones in the public eye.

I speak from many, many years of experience in the vocal performing field!

• I agree wholeheartedly, Russ. Many times I saw Lounge Entertainers in Vegas and Tahoe that could easily have taken the place of the mainliner!
    You get your check in a few days..........looking forward to hearing your voice on those tapes........You Have MY BOY BILL recorded? How about one of my fave Oklahoma ones? KEITH

• Henry George "Dobe" Carey, Jr. (May 16, 1921 – December 27, 2012), known as Harry Carey, Jr., was an American actor. He appeared in over 90 films including several John Ford Westerns, as well as numerous television series.
    (bud)

"JOHN WAYNE AMERICAN"
    ======================

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards: Re-direction Link to another site ().

• I just watched him Sunday week ago on TCM in 3 Godfathers. What a great movie and seeing such an icon leave us is so sad. It saddens me to see them all go. And he was so good. Not the biggest actors out there, but seemed to have a big heart.

R.I.P. Dobe. You're walking to the sunset to see your dad, Duke, Pappy, and so many others. It is sad to see them go. What a life!

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

Edited once, last by Hondo Duke Lane: Ading picture ().

• I was one of few who missed that episode--cant recall why? I was in the 6th grade at the time.

You were in sixth grade - you should not have been watching the show in the first place!

Dallas--I only watched it to keep from going to bed early and most of the time I fell asleep anyway.

I sure miss the days when Magnum P.I. and Simon and Simon were on.

See? You fell asleep - you should have been in bed!

We were also BIG Magnum and Simon & Simon fans!

The Music Man has a special place in my heart, as it prominently features a barbershop quartet - the incomparable "Buffalo Bills," 1950 International Quartet Champions of SPEBSQSA (Barbershop Harmony Society).

As many of you know, I've been a member of the Society since 1979, but sang BBS for years before that, and the movie, released the year after I was born, showcased our artform (one of only 4 original American artforms) with a spectacular quartet.

. . . know that I'm a big R&H fan, having done "Curly" in Oklahoma in summer stock at age 18, and being offered the understudy to that part in the road show revival in 1979. I turned it down to take a college scholarship...I was the first one in my family to go to college.

Tennessean, I appreciated learning these things about you.

You know, these deaths usually happen in threes...makes me nervous!

I know what you mean

I often think the same thing, especially if there two in close succession, then I am wondering who the third one will be.

Thanks for posting this . . . though they obviously missed Klugman, Durning, and Dobe. I like the way they interspersed with scenes from the old drive- in.

I'm not generally superstitious, but since I've been noticing this kind of stuff (about 40 years), they do seem to happen in threes (sometimes more) a very high percentage of the time!

It sure did this time!

I just watched him Sunday week ago on TCM in 3 Godfathers. What a great movie and seeing such an icon leave us is so sad. It saddens me to see them all go. And he was so good. Not the biggest actors out there, but seemed to have a big heart.

R.I.P. Dobe. You're walking to the sunset to see your dad, Duke, Pappy, and so many others. It is sad to see them go. What a life!

Thanks, Mike, for that great pic of Dobe! Very precious.

Mrs. C :angel1:

• You were in sixth grade - you should not have been watching the show in the first place!

(((That's tame compared to what kids watch these days :lol: ))))

See? You fell asleep - you should have been bed!

(((I was probably sleepy cause my big Brother snores as loud as a Chainsaw. We nicknamed him--believe it or not? Jigsaw. :lol::lol::lol: ))))

We were also BIG Magnum and Simon & Simon fans!

(((Loved Mag/P.I. and the theme song. I havent collected it yet on DvD but will as a complete series box set--if not too expensive? ))))

I think my all time most favored episodes were the ones where they went back to "Nam." I think they were called: "All For One" as well as Did You See the Sun Rise?"

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Edited 2 times, last by chester7777: Separate Carl's comments from Mrs. C's quoted post ().

• Just watched him with his dad and the Duke in Red River this past weekend.

Seems we have lost another great link with a great past the likes of which we will never see again.

Rest in peace Dobe.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

Edited once, last by Tbone ().

• Well, this is just getting a bit scary, isn't it?

Mike, loved what you said about Dobie being with his Dad, etc. That is how I like to think about it. Although you said, RIP, and I know that is just a regular thing forever, I have always hated it. Rest In Peace........Lordy. Guess that means hope you have a strong coffin with a vault that won't let any bugs get at your body! I like to think of them meeting up with lost loved ones and friends and doing what they like to do....once again whole and in perpetual good shape.
    Well, to each his or her own I guess. Still is a bit scary. KEITH

• Patti Page, Honey-Voiced ’50s Pop Sensation, Dies at 85:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01…nger-dies-at-85.html?_r=0

Sad to Patti Page leave us. I have been a Patti Page fan for a lot of years. Several years ago I wrote to her, and she sent me a very nice letter back. I think I'll go put on some of her CDs and reminisce.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.