There are 30 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 40,617 times. The latest Post () was by may2.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Thanks RK. Appreciate that. Seems I have missed out all these years on a great actor just because of his appearance......"can't judge a book by its cover". Let me know your couple of favorites.....nice if they have Duke, Ward, or someone like that in them, but, I will gladly add another favorite.
    Thanks again for your time to list them for me! Keith

hawkwill my top 5 joel mccrea western that you should watch would be.try them u wont be sorry.

1 colorado territory
    2.ride the high country
    3.four faces west
    4.union pacific
    5.fort massacre

• In the photos that Lasbugas posted, the one with the lady and Joel McCrea is Mrs Joel McCrea, actress Frances Dee. And their son, Jody, enjoyed a brief career as a movie actor but never achieved the success of his father. Jody McCrea can be seen in the Frankie Avalon-Annette Funicello beach movies as one the beach regulars. He looked quite abit like his dad. A couple of other pretty good Joel McCrea westerns are Ramrod and The Tall Stranger.

• Joel McCrea was gorgeous even in old age.

Maureen Stapleton has said that it was her infatuation with Joel McCrea led her to becoming an actress. She thanked him in her Oscar acceptance speech.

Ride The High country is one of my favorite movies. Check him out in non westerns Sullivan's Travels, Foreign Correspondent and The Palm Beach Story.

• Another goodie from Olive Films, for the Joel McCrea fans. Ben Johnson doubled for McCrea in this film.

FROM THE DIRECTOR OF “SPRINGFIELD RIFLE” AND “DAY OF THE OUTLAW”
    FIRST TIME ON DVD AND Blu-ray
    REMASTERED IN HD FROM AN ARCHIVAL 35MM FINEGRAIN PRINT

JOEL McCREA | VERONICA LAKE
    RAMROD (1947) Directed by ANDRE DE TOTH
    with DON DeFORE | DONALD CRISP | LLOYD BRIDGES | PRESTON FOSTER

PREBOOK 10/23/12 STREET 11/20/12

DVD UPC# 887090046503 CAT# OF465 $24.95srp
    BLU-RAY UPC# 887090046602 CAT# OF466 $29.95srp

This western from legendary director Andre De Toth (House of Wax) was the first of several films based on the stories of western author Luke Short (Silver City). Western legend Joel McCrea (Ride the High Country) stars as a veteran cowhand Dave Nash, who’s hired by Connie Dickason (Veronica Lake), a strong-willed daughter of Ben Dickason (Charles Ruggles), a ranch owner who has become the toady of a powerful local cattleman, Frank Ivey (Preston Foster), whom Ben once wanted Connie to marry. Connie has inherited a sheep ranch from her ex-husband and is determined to run the ranch with the help of her new Ramrod and his crew of anti-Ivey locals despite the opposition of Ivey and her father. The resulting bloody range war is much to the dismay of Dave, who wants to resolve Connie’s problems with Ivey legally. The Stellar cast includes Dan DeFore, Donald Crisp, Arleen Whelan and Lloyd Bridges.

1947 | B&W | 95 Minutes | Not Rated | 1.37:1 Aspect Ratio

“RAMROD” JOEL McCREA VERONICA LAKE DONALD CRISP DON DeFORE
    a HARRY SHERMAN production directed by ANDRE DE TOTH
    RAMROD © 1947 MELANGE PICTURES LLC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

• I should add that I love Joel McCrea... in westerns and everything else! One of my all-time favorite movies is Sullivan's Travels. ;)

Thanks Paula, that's a great film! Glad it's being released by olive films so hopefully it'll be a great transfer. I agree re Joel mcCrea also, very solid in everything I've ever seen him in.
    Currently watching Night of the Grizzly on olive films on Blu ray.
    I must admit, it's the least impressive transfer of all the Olive film Blu rays I've watched to date but it's also the first one I have no direct comparison to check against.

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Well yall, THANKS. After the recommendations from you, I FINALLY watched a Joel McCrea movie, Ride The High Country. At the very beginning, I was not impressed much with him, but he grew on me in a relatively short period of time so that the end was distressing. I think I will find that I enjoy him as as older man as I do Duke....but that remains to be seen. Hope to see more movies, but for the time being, I will watch this one a few more times. Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• To All : FYI ( Thats for your information) if you were out misbehavin all weekend.....There is a Six Gun Salute to Joel McCrea in late September on the Encore Western Channel...Good Movies!! And remember...tomorrow is the anniversary of 9-1-1....Fly the Flag...and say a prayer..for the Innocent Heroes we lost that day.....Best to All....TJ .... The Lawman

A Man..should know how to handle a gun..Use it with Discretion...:cowboy:

• [quote='H.sanada','http://dukewayne.com/bb/index.php?thread/&postID=73970#post73970']
    Colorado Territory and High Sierra telling the same story and the director of both was roul walsh - in a remake of the bogart-film jack palance playes the title role - the films name i dont remember.

"I Died a Thousand Times" was the 1955 remake of the Bogie film with Palance.

• A few weeks back I came upon this list on the net,

“The Greatest American Films Ever Made” (response to a BBC critics poll, 6/19/15)
    Posted June 19, 2015
    1. GREED (Stroheim, 1924)
    2. SUNRISE (Murnau, 1927)
    3. THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS (Welles, 1942)
    4. CITY LIGHTS (Chaplin, 1931)
    5. LOVE ME TONIGHT (Mamoulian, 1932)
    6. THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES (Wyler, 1946)
    7. STARS IN MY CROWN (Tourneur, 1950)
    8. LOVE STREAMS (Cassavetes, 1984)
    9. A.I. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE (Kubrick & Spielberg, 2001)
    10. WHEN IT RAINS (Burnett, 1995)

None of these would make my list . (Ambersons, maybe)

I had never heard of Stars in My Crown so I looked it up. It has played on TCM and was well spoken of on IMDB and I like Joel McCrea so I got hold of a copy. I think it is a very good film filled with terrific actors. James Arness appears but never speaks. Amanda Blake is in it also. They don't meet. They don't make films like this any more either. Shame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stars_in_My_Crown_(film)

BTW, if your having trouble with a DVD, Windex is a good cleaner.