Pinned Famous Folks Quotes- About Duke

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 36 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by ethanedwards.

• Re: Famous Folks Quotes- About Duke

Anthony Hopkins is a John Wayne fan:

Q: Not at all…but let’s just say I don’t picture you watching a lot of American television.

A: Oh, I love it! American Idol, Dancing with the Stars—I watch all that stuff. The other one I like is The Apprentice. I just think it’s a hoot. When I first came here, I used to watch I Love Lucy and The Andy Griffith Show. I’ve been a movie fan all my life, especially American movies. And I love Westerns; I’ve just TiVo’d two John Wayne movies.

And a country western fan:

Q: You’ve talked about driving around in the States—what do you drive and what do you listen to?

A: My wife and I have an SUV and like to wander. We both like country-western music—Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton.

You can read the entire interview in this past weekend's Parade magazine, at parade.com/articles/editions/2…on_01-30-2011/Sunday-with...

Jay, I was thinking someone should send Hopkins an invitation to the John Wayne birthday celebration. I bet he and his wife would attend -- and travel there in their SUV! ;)

I've read interviews with him before about how much he loves American culture and movies so I wasn't entirely surprised by this one in Parade. He sounds so veddy continental but a lot of Europeans are in love with Hollywood; he's not the only one. The Germans in particular are mad for Westerns and anything about Indians. I'm sure many of the people on this board are familiar with Karl May and the Old Shatterhand books and movies -- that is, at least have heard of them. (I haven't read any of the books or seen any of the movies, they're hard to get here in the U.S. But I've certainly read ABOUT them.) :)

Rock Hudson quoted
      I did a movie with Duke Wayne and was very surprised to find out
      he had small feet, wore lifts, and a corset. Hollywood is seldom what it seems.

John Wayne was then the Hollywood legend, and I was on screen with him.
      The guy is an angel. He saved my life back then when no other film maker wanted to know me.
      - On The Undefeated (1969)
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England