Duke's Companion- Pat Stacy

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 44 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by MattieSue.

• Re: Duke's Companion- Pat Stacy

Sounds like a great read, i wonder if the fact she said he was'nt riding off the set was not an indication he wasnt a Horse lover, more an indication his health had been an issue and he was taking extra care not to push things to far in case luck ran out, a fall at that weight and age would have been a real drama i expect.

pat stacy was a good looking women.im glad duke had a happy life towards the end,especially what he had to put up with with his 3 wife's.even do pilar was the best of his 3 wife's.the story about the last few hours of his life is so sad,it brought a teer to my eye.

I only just not long finished reading Pat's, DUKE: A Love Story.. and it was an excellent read, a lovely story, VERY sad in the last few chapters though!

I know in the book she tried to move on after Duke's passing so had to move away from Newport, but does anyone know if she had another man in her life after Duke? Did his children have anything to do with Pat specially when she was dieing from cancer?

katbellamar wrote:

I only just not long finished reading Pat's, DUKE: A Love Story.. and it was an excellent read, a lovely story, VERY sad in the last few chapters though!

I know in the book she tried to move on after Duke's passing so had to move away from Newport, but does anyone know if she had another man in her life after Duke? Did his children have anything to do with Pat specially when she was dieing from cancer?

Interesting question.
      I cannot find any information regarding Pat,
      after Duke passed away.
      However we do know that she and Patrick were at his beside
      when he passed away and that she attended
      Duke's funeral alongside, Pliar and the children
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

He was still married to Piliar wasn't he? I mean, i'm glad he found some happines but i can't quite say it was a beautiful Love story. Even though they had seperated, in some parts of the world thats considered cheating on your wife.

PILIAR, LEFT THE DUKE AND MOVED TO BEVERLY HILLS BECAUSE SHE DID NOT LIKE HIS LIFE STYLE, AND AS A CATHOLIC SHE WOULD NOT GIVE HIM A DIVORCE !!!
      :mad:
      Pat Stacy Donahugh, 53, companion to John Wayne who wrote a book about their years together. Before her marriage to Richard Donahugh in 1982, Pat Stacy worked as an assistant to the fabled actor and became his companion in the last 7 years of his life. She later published her book, "Duke, a Love Story." A native of Louisiana, she graduated from Northeast Louisiana University and became a teacher. Moving to California, she worked for the Arthur Andersen Co. accounting concern in Beverly Hills and then for Wayne. After his death, she became an aide to Donald L. Bren of the Irvine Co. she past away in Newport Beach.California IN 1995 of lung cancer !!!
      :sad_smile:
      CHILIBILL
      :cowboy:

In light of several comments that have appeared in this thread, I'll simply say this: none of us were there, nor had any insight beyond what we've read, it really isn't fair to sit in judgement over anyone else's life.

Too many variables come into play in these situations (I know, I lived through them), but rarely what's seen on the outside is a true indication of the entire scenario.

The post was edited 1 time, last by The Tennesseean ().

I have a copy of a letter that Duke wrote to my friend John McElwee, a very well known figure in the film world (John McElwee film historian on Google). It was in 1978 and he told John he was just getting over a bad case of the flu. Anyway, he was very much interested in some of John's collections as he said he had neglected to keep a lot of things that would be important to him at the time. He had asked John if he would send them to him. He promised to copy them and return them. He asked John to call his secretary and reverse the call, Pat Stacy, and make arrangements for them. If I can make the copy big enough, it is a JPEG, I will post it. Funny, at the beginning, he addresses it to Mr. McElwee. Then, he says, because of the age difference, I guess I can call you John, LOL! He mentioned he would be in Salisbury, NC, (about an hour from John and I), for a Sportswriters' Award bit in a few months. I doubt that he made it.

Keith
      God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

Well, of course I had tears through it all, but the two things that got me most was
      The High and the Mighty Music....I could just hear it and
      The picture of the two of them walking away from us.

Thanks BILL, KEITH
      God, she reminds me of me! DUKE