Pinned The Bargirl and the Cowboy

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 32 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by tonymus.

• Re: The Bargirl and the Cowboy

The sight that met Duke's gaze when he opened his eyes left him speechless. They were in the middle of what seemed to be a miltary encampment full of young men dressed in uniforms of a colour and style that he had never seen before. Though he could see no orchestra, lively music that bore a south of the border flavour played in the compound. In between the two large tents in front of them stood an older man carrying three stripes on his arm, confronted a younger soldier carrying a rifle equipped with a large bayonet.
      "En garde!" barked the older soldier as the confused youngster raised his weapon in a defensive stance.
      "Play that thing again" he ordered.
      As the same tune repeated the two men appeared to be dancing to the rhythm with the older soldier shouting out orders above the music as the bewildered youngster tried to follow.
      "Shift your weight! Left, left!" He yelled.
      "You'll get the knack of it. Practise about half an hour each day".
      Duke watched the scene with interest, enjoying the lesson in footwork being taught by the older more experienced soldier.
      "He reminds me of me", the cowboy said in admiration.
      Maureen smiled.
      "When you rescued Debbie, she was little more than a child like these young recruits you see. She grew up to become a beautiful woman and fell in love with a storekeeper named Alfred Styker".
      Dukes brow wrinkled in bewilderment.
      Maureen continued.
      Over the next few years Debbie and Alfred were blessed with three sons, the youngest of which came along just as Debbie was sure her child bearing days were over. This child was John, a son who left the family business to enlist in the United States Marine Corps. He is the serjeant we have been watching".
      Maureen waved her arm toward the men.
      "I have brought you forward in time into a new century. It is 1942. Our country is engaged in a war which involves the whole world. This platoon of recruits is training to fight the Japenese on a remote island in the Pacific Ocean called Iwo Jima.
      Walk Tall - Talk Low

dukefan1 wrote:

You got me captivated, Arthur. Every time I sign on and see a new installment, it's like Christmas! :teeth_smile:

Ditto . . . I couldn't say it better! I'm really enjoying the interweaving of so many familiar stories, yet there is the element of not knowing exactly where it will go next. Masterful, Arthur!!

Mrs. C :angel1:
      ( . . . looking forward to more :wink_smile: )

Maureen continued.
      "If these men are led by your great nephew they will survive the bloody assault with very few casualties."
      "What do you mean if the men are led by John?"
      Duke pointed to the serjeant still engaged in the private lessons in footwork.
      "He's there in front of my eyes I can see him....Look".
      Maureen clicked her fingers. Instantly Stryker disappeared. The young recruits stood to attention as they were berated by another serjeant.
      "Consider this", said Maureen.
      "Aaron Edwards never had a brother, he was an only child. When the Comanches raided his ranch and took Debbie and Lucy everybody assumed that they had both been killed by the Indians. No one attempted to find her, in fact she was never heard of again. She never met Alfred Stryker, they had no sons. John Stryker was never born and couldn't train this platoon and as a result....."
      Maureen hesitated before continuing.
      "....Every man in that platoon will be killed in the attack on Iwo Jima".
      Walk Tall - Talk Low

Duke looked at his companion and spoke with a quiet conviction.
      "Spirit, for I now know that is what you are, the event as you have described it won't happen, will it?"
      Maureens reply was instant.
      "I came to show you what would have happened if you hadn't been born. But you were born. You are the man who shot Liberty Valance, in saving Ransom Stoddards life you made it possible for him to pursue his political career and marry Hallie. Later when you rescued Debbie you set in motion a train of events that once started could not be stopped. Your life did make a difference in the lives of so many even long after your death. Thanks to you serjeant Stryker will keep so many of his young platoon alive on the sands of Iwo Jima. And now do you see?"
      After a reflective pause the cowboy said.
      "I guess I did make a difference after all".
      "It's time to say goodbye", said Maureen as she reached for his hand.
      "My work here is done. Close your eyes, it's almost daylight, we need to go home".
      When Duke opened his eyes he was standing alone in the saloon, the bartender, the piano player and the man playing solitaire had disappeared as had Maureen. Moving about through layers of dust that gave no evidence of recent visitors, he wondered if it had all been a dream until his eyes were drawn to a shining object on the bar. Picking it up he found it was a brand new ten-dollar gold piece.
      He smiled to himself placed the coin in his pocket and stepped into the sunlight. It was Christmas Day. the biting wind had stopped. His purposful stride showed a new confidence as he walked to the barn. He saddled his horse and monted ready to resume his travels. He eased the sorrel into a trot.
      Perhaps the new year might nor be so bad after all.

The End
      Walk Tall - Talk Low

A little over a Week Ago Our Very Own Arthur put up a Very, Very Good Short Story about Christmas that He Wrote, but now here we are the Day Before Christmas and I think You Might want to Read it Again ?
      :wink_smile:
      I added some Pictures from some of the John Wayne Films that Arthur talks about in His Great Short Story about Christmas in The Old West !
      :teeth_smile:
      I hope that You All have a Safe and Happy Christmas, and Try To Remember What Christmas is Really All About !!!

ranch26bar.com/ARTHURSTORY1.html

Bill
      :cowboy:

The post was edited 2 times, last by William T Brooks ().

I'll be sure to read this. I haven't finished it yet, so I will be sure to read this great story from the beginning to get into the Chirstmas spirit.

Cheers :cool: Hondo Duke Lane

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"
      - John Wayne quote

Hi Bill

Brilliant illustrations. Inside the front cover of The Trail beyond Tim wrote nice Teamwork.

I will say the same to you in appreciation.

And my very best to you this festive season

Best Regards

Arthur
      Walk Tall - Talk Low

Howdy Arthur,
      Words cannot express the tremendous talent you have shown in the writing of "The Bargirl and The Cowboy." This is a wonderful Christmas story, and Tim LIlley is very lucky to have it in The Trail Beyond. We at the JWMB are also very blessed that you have shared the story with us. As I think on it, I truly do believe that Duke would have loved and appreciated your story as well. Thank you Arthur, thank you very much.
      AS Always,
      All My Best to You,
      Colorado Bob
      "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

'Tis the season . . . to (bump) this thread back to the top, for everyone's holiday pleasure.

Just start at the beginning! Enjoy! And if you can't find your way back to the thread on another day . . . just click on the link in my signature (which is present in most of my posts)!

Chester :newyear: