2009 John Wayne Birthday Celebration

There are 36 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 55,626 times. The latest Post () was by William T Brooks.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I finally got a bunch of them downloaded to Flickr, and you can see them here.
    (Here's a link to the photos in a slide show.)

In addition to posting pictures on Flickr, I have also posted some in an album here on the JWMB (there are only a few duplicates between the two). I'm hoping to share a few stories in the next few days.

Chester :newyear:

• :camera: Darn--you don't have any photos of The Three Dancin' Dukes?? I was so mad I didn't have my camera with me to capture all the hot dance moves and pirouettes you guys did while Lynn Anderson sang "On The Boardwalk" Saturday afternoon. That was truly a sight to behold!

Wayne Davis
    Birthplace of John Wayne
    http://www.johnwaynebirthplace.org

• You know, Wayne, I was kind of bummed that I didn't end up with a picture of that. I'm hoping someone maybe took a picture of . . . that . . . and will share.

I guess it's time to tell a story. At the festivities Saturday afternoon, Lynn Anderson was performing, and called for a few gentlemen to join her on stage. She picked Jeff (aka John Wayne Impersonator) right off, and he dragged me along with him. There was one other man who joined us. I was on her left, Jeff was on her right, and the other guy was on Jeff's right. She wanted us to do a variety of dance steps back and forth on the stage (a real chorus line, we were!). It was all I could do to keep from stepping on her mike cord. As Wayne said, we were dancing to "Under the Boardwalk."

Just for fun, I just searched on YouTube and found another video, with some other 'poor saps' (eventually, I guess we might end up there) doing pretty much the same steps).

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

Yeah . . . a GOOD time!

• Well, the Lynn Anderson clip DOES give you a taste, but man--it's just not the same without the pirouettes!

I just have to say, Lynn Anderson was WONDERFUL--enthusiastic, energetic, lots of fun, hung around to talk with folks before and after the performances, posed for pictures, signed autographs; she was a real delight!

Wayne Davis
    Birthplace of John Wayne
    http://www.johnwaynwbirthplace.org

• I just have to say, Lynn Anderson was WONDERFUL--enthusiastic, energetic, lots of fun, hung around to talk with folks before and after the performances, posed for pictures, signed autographs; she was a real delight!

Very true, what a pleasure to make her acquaintance. She and her entourage certainly added to the event, as did Deana Martin, and Carin Mari. She sure knows how to yodel !

• In fact here are a couple of YouTube videos of Carin and her brothers,

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

Better yet, I found a YouTube posted by Carin and her brothers, of Carin on stage at the Winterset Birthday Celebration with Lynn Anderson,

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

Do you Love YouTube, or what !

• Yep, Carin won the 2008 International Yodeling Championship, so she's quite the accomplished yodeler. She and her brothers are quite a talented group, and it's amazing how they've grown since the Centennial a mere two years ago.

Great job locating that video of her and Lynn! I'll have to link that on the Birthplace site.

Wayne Davis
    Birthplace of John Wayne
    http://www.johnwaynebirthplace.org

• Did you notice next to the brick from DukeWayne.com was the brick of Charlie Daniels the Rock/Country great?

Wow, good eye, Short Grub! I've looked at that picture a dozen times and didn't make that connection. In retrospect, I wish I had taken pictures of all of them and see who else bought bricks. I did look for a few in particular . . . one from the 'official' forum and . . . it's too late . . . I can't remember . . . :sleepy: . . . :sleep_1:. . . .

• Interview with A C Lyles from the California 100 year celebration . . . .

And an interview with AC at the Winterset 100 year celebration . . .

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

I was at the 100th in Winterset. We were heading into the cowboy symposium where co-stars and family members talk about working on Duke's films and his life in general. I had to make a "pit stop" in the men's room and when I came back here is A.C. talking to my wife!! What a nice man and very personable. Nice to see people like that in the movie buisness even though they are few and far between.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hello All
    In Winterset there is a drugstore that has an active soda shop with a long J counter and four staff working at once ( busy). Houses with porches were numerous and brick enhanced the character of many of the homes and businesses. Chester, my cousin and I met a family of 4 who were walkabout and they like to hand catch and release Rattlesnake and other snakes. There is a back to the future like Town Square with a very impressive courthouse in the center. Most of all I enjoyed the people who could respect the past and embrace the present in both lifestyle and demeanor. I can not vouch for the rest of Iowa, Winterset however, ROCKS.:thumbs_up:

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Hi This is Big Jeff The John Wayne Impersonator....I had a very good time with my good friend Jim Sutherlin When we went to the John Wayne Birthplace in Iowa.......Jim and I was a hit! Some one may say that Jim and I was trying to replace John Wayne and We should not talk about the John Wayne Message Board.......They are the one with a problem........And not us! Keep the name alive that all we can do now! Just Keep the name Alive.......It is so much fun for me! I will do it for nothing! But it help when someone give you money for Travel....So I will never forget this trip for the rest of my life....And big Jim and his wife will always be my sear friends.......Best Always Jeff Wayne as John Wayne Imperasonator.....PS Please look for my TV Show Jeffsstartalk.com..................

A John Wayne Collector and Actor that is Name After the Duke himself Jeff Wayne Sutherland.