Who are your favorite singers?

There are 43 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 9,692 times. The latest Post () was by ringo kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I am a classical music freak, the original heavy metal. Beethoven, Wagner, and many others. I like the Baroque, prior and later, and up to today's composers.
    This is Yngwie Malmsteen an incredible guitarist who wrote this classical piece and played his guitar with it.
    [extendedmedia]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="340" height="285"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/TbHc5i4O2tc&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/TbHc5i4O2tc&hl=en&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="340" height="285"></embed></object>[/extendedmedia]

• Then you have these two fine guitarists. Stevie Ray Vaughn and Albert King..hmm blues.
    [extendedmedia]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="340" height="285"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/9FlaY1P7mkc&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/9FlaY1P7mkc&hl=en&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="340" height="285"></embed></object>[/extendedmedia]

• Some of my favorites:

The Beatles (My ultimate favorite!)
    Led Zeppelin
    The Who
    The Moody Blues
    Badfinger
    Black Sabbath
    Thin Lizzy
    KISS
    Johnny Cash
    Hank Williams Jr.
    Willie Nelson
    Dwight Yoakum
    etc. etc. etc.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Monseur, you are a LuLu!" (The Comancheros)

• The Beatles is my favorite group. My other fav groups are:

Coldplay

U2

Depeche Mode

Dixie Chicks

Pussycat Dolls

• Hi,
    I always liked Cliff Richard, Tommy Steele, Alma Cogan to name a few. But I prefer instrumentals. The Shadows are my favourite group. They had "Wonderful Land" "36 - 24 - 36" "Apache" "Cavatina" to name a few of their recordings.
    Have fun
    Redcap

RACMP - For the troops With the troops

• While we're on the subject of music, let me relate a rather humorous, and ultimately very embarrassing, incident that happened with me about 40 or so years ago. I was in San Francisco at the time, on my way to Vietnam.

I'm a jazz lover so was in a nightclub that catered to jazz artists of the time. While visiting the john, I happened to notice that the guy using the urinal next to me had been playing a tenor sax out on the bandstand. Without realizing who he was, I said to him, "Hey, man, you play a pretty good horn".

Later on, I discovered that I had made this rather insipid remark to Stan Getz, who at the time was considered to be probably the best tenor saxophonist in America. When it finally dawned on me that I had said to the best tenor sax in America that he "played a pretty good horn", I felt like a total and complete idiot.

(I'm almost sure the jazz club I was in at the time was the same one featured in the movie "Bullitt", when Steve McQueen and Jacqueline Bisset are shown nightclubbing.)

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Stumpy, a friend of mine who is a preacher now was Getz's keyboard player at one time. I am not sure the time period. This guy can play great guitar, keyboards and bass. He did studio time with Chick Correa.
    One of my other friends who was suffering some depression came to a Christmas party and loves jazz but no one played that style. My bud the preacher showed up and when he let rip this guy finally smiled for the first time in awhile.

• I listen to:

The sons of the pioneers
    Marty Robbins
    Ferlin Husky
    Johnny Horton
    Johnny Cash
    Waylon Jennings
    Willie Nelson
    George Jones
    Tanya Tucker
    Loretta Lynn
    Tammy Wynette
    Tom T Hall

• I am a classical music freak, the original heavy metal. Beethoven, Wagner, and many others. I like the Baroque, prior and later, and up to today's composers.

Add to those Mahler and Bruckner along with many of the romantics and John Adams and Michael Torke among many of the contemporary composers (and everyone inbetween).

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I'm with Captkirby on that list of singers. Especially Marty Robbins.

Also a big fan of Waylon, Willie, Cash, Jones....and add George Strait and Ray Benson and his group Asleep at the Wheel to that list.

• I feel like the odd one out but my favourite music is from Tina Turner, Bruce Springsteen, Will Tura (Belgian), Soulsister (Belgian), Frans Bauer (Dutch), Nick&Simon (Dutch), Spandau Ballet, and 70's glamrock.

• I forgot to mention Neil Diamond and Fleetwood Mac...

Sally,

I like who you like, and I do like more. Too many to list, and I am a fan of many. I also like Martin and Sinatra, Boston and Kansas, Reba and Garth, Lionel and Marvin, Elvis and early Michael, Beatles and Stones, Clapton and Croche, Ray and Stevie, Bach and Mozart, and many many more.

Not a fan of Hip Hop, Metal, Funk.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• A modern singer of today who has a voice thats a cross between Orbison, Elvis and a little sprinkling of Pavarotti thrown in for good measure is Raul Malo. When I listen to this guy sing he has one foot firmly placed in the past and thats a pretty damn good place to be:thumbs_up:

• mine are:

Dean Martin
    Johnny Horton
    Brad Paisley
    Johnny Cash
    Phil Vassar
    Ricky Nelson
    George Strait
    Trace Adkins
    Merle Haggard
    Hank William Sr.
    Garth Brooks
    George Jones
    John Denver
    Waylon Jennings
    Everly Brothers

[COLOR="Indigo"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"]"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life..." ~John Wayne~[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

• A modern singer of today who has a voice thats a cross between Orbison, Elvis and a little sprinkling of Pavarotti thrown in for good measure is Raul Malo. When I listen to this guy sing he has one foot firmly placed in the past and thats a pretty damn good place to be:thumbs_up:

When the Mavericks became popular Raul was hailed as the 'new' Roy Orbison. So was Chris Isaak. Not that there will ever be anyone really like him.

Bob

• Among the many many singers I love, I want to mention Sammy Davis Jr., because in addition to being a phenomenal singer, dancer, actor and instrumentalist (he played many instruments), he was known as one of the quickest draws in Hollywood! I kid you not. Check it out on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0acMU9nOFzo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aNzFYHyz8&NR=1

Also, First Rebel and Country Girl -- I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Everly Bros. I was living in Germany in the mid-1980s and when the Everlys reunited and gave two concerts at Royal Albert Hall in London, I went with the Dutch Everly Bros. fan club (a most enthusiastic group) to both nights. We had great seats up front and it was pure ecstasy seeing them and hearing them sing live. Their voices had deepened and thickened, but they still had that incredible vocal chemistry and with the passing of the years and a number of painful personal events, their singing had taken on a new emotional richness. Their 1980s version of "Love Hurts," for instance, is an entirely different affair, from a more more experienced perspective, than the teenage plaint of the 1950s. I wish their reunion had lasted longer but I guess we should be grateful it happened at all, and that we got a few more albums and a video of the reunion concert out of it. :)