John Wayne films shown in Southern Ireland

There are 5 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,902 times. The latest Post () was by chester7777.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I was wondering if anyone knows which John Wayne films, particularly Westerns, were shown in Southern Ireland during the period 1934-1949? I am having trouble researching this information in newspapers, perhaps because of their 'B' movie status.

• Margaret,

WELCOME to the Original John Wayne Message Board! You are a member of one of the friendliest John Wayne communities on the 'net, and you will find a very knowledgeable group here as well.

I personally don't have an answer to your question, but there is a possibility that someone here may have some information for you.

Are you researching for a particular reason? (Not meaning to be 'nosy', just curious, and of course, you're under no obligation to say :wink_smile:).

Again, welcome!

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• Dear Chester,

Thank you for your very warm welcome and your interest in my research. I am a PhD student from the University of Nottingham, UK and am looking at the different types of popular performance in Frank McCourt's memoirs. He specifically mentions John Wayne when talking about his desire to be 'the John Wayne of pedagogy' rather than the Irish schoolmaster, wielding strap and cane. There are also references to Cagney and Astaire in the memoirs but the Wayne films that McCourt might have seen in Limerick are much more difficult to research. Let's hope that someone out there has the answer!

Very best wishes,

Margaret Eaton

• I was wondering if anyone knows which John Wayne films, particularly Westerns, were shown in Southern Ireland during the period 1934-1949? I am having trouble researching this information in newspapers, perhaps because of their 'B' movie status.

Howdy Margaret,
    It would be difficult at best to say with any certainty which films McCourt saw. Perhaps the best course would be to try and find out what theaters were in his neighborhood, and what films they were showing during that time frame. If there were any local newspapers, and if any archives still exist for those newspapers, there might be some advertisements in them listing the movies being played. I am sure that distributors would have sent many of his B westerns there. Undoubtedly McCourt saw Stagecoach, Red River, and Fort Apache which were three of his biggest and most popular westerns during that time frame. I hope this helps and good luck in your research.

- Colorado Bob

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Dear Colarado Bob,

Thank you very much for your help. I think another trip to Limerick is required to search the newspapers with a fine tooth comb. I am wondering if it is the fact that only the main film was listed and not the 'B' film that is hindering my research.

Very best wishes,

Margaret :holiday_irish:

• Margaret,

Another tool you might use, to help limit your search, is IMDb (the Internet Movie Database). You may already be very familiar with it, so I apologize if I'm giving information that's not useful to you.

However, not knowing, I will continue on . . .

On the page devoted to John Wayne, you can click on each movie title, and on the page for each movie, in the Overview section, there is a listing for the Release Date. If you click 'more' you can see when it was released in different parts of the world. You can at least see at which point to begin searching, rather than having to go through many months in vain.

Cheers!

Mrs. C :angel1: