What are the latest movies you bought on DvD/Blu-Ray?

There are 471 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 173,125 times. The latest Post () was by WaynamoJim.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Just ordered the Criterion release of "Stagecoach" on DVD. Also included is "Bucking Broadway" with Harry Carey directed by John Ford (1916 silent western ) great addition to my collection.

• Just ordered the Criterion release of "Stagecoach" on DVD. Also included is "Bucking Broadway" with Harry Carey directed by John Ford (1916 silent western ) great addition to my collection.

RichatMht, thanks for your post and for joining us
    I have extended a fuller welcome here

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Got my copy of "The Great Escape" on blu ray today. There has been some griping on line about the restoration, but it looks pretty damn good to me and sounds even better. It's a big improvement over the DVD and for $10.00 it's a bargain.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Though I have this on VHS and DVD, it touches my heart to add to my Blu-ray collection The Great Escape! Just an all around great movie with some of the greatest actors of the time. So glad to have this in my collection. Stars are Steve McQueen, James Garner, Richard Attenborough and many many more.

If you haven't seen this movie, which I am sure most of you have here, see it. It is one of the greatest films about war or mainly about WWII prison escapes ever made.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Bought a couple of Blu-rays today. Bought Cleopatra, which just came out in that format. Pu ti on for a few minutes to see the pq and it is dazzling. Liz Taylor never looked better or more delicious. Also bought the Clint Eastwood, Man With No Name Trilogy. took a sneak peek at For A Few Dollars More and Good, Bad, And The Ugly and the pq is good. It's seems to be better on the latter than it is on the former. Got them both at Best Buy, $16.99 for Cleopatra and $19.99 for the Eastwood set, which they normally seel for about $50.

• i just bought 12 movie set of lash la rue
    texas cowboy @ with sitting bull at the spirit lake massacre with bob steele

• Earlier this week I bought the Ultimate Gangster Collection- Classic in Blu-ray. There's four movies, Little Caesar, The Petrified Forest, The Public Enemy, and White Heat. They also have a second collection that has five modern gangster movies in blu-ray, Mean Streets, The Departed, Heat, The Untouchables, and Goodfellas.

• I received a great discount from Warner Brothers site. I was able to purchase with a $5 discount with a $20 purchase two movies. I bought from the One on One a Robby Benson movie from the 1970's about a boy going to college on a basketball scholarship and how he copes with the changes in his life as he grows into a man. And my other purchase is a Blu-Ray of a classic, Rio Bravo for $10.43. Now I am pumped up. I have my favorite Western in my Blu-Ray collection.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Has anyone else become engrossed with so-called "film noir" movies?

Over the last couple of years, I've bought dozens of these old films from the Thirties, Forties and Fifties that were mostly concerned with mystery, crime, etc. Many of 'em are pretty interesting.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• A few months ago I ordered from Amazon several hundred dollars worth of my favorite movies in the Blu-Ray format. Immediately after I placed the order, I said to myself "Jim, you idiot, what are you doing?". I tried to cancel the order but Amazon wouldn't accept my cancellation. So, with regret I went ahead and accepted their decision.

After receiving the Blu-Ray DVDs, I bought a Blu-Ray player and watched several of the movies. IMO, I could discern no great improvement in picture or sound quality between the Blu-Rays and a well-re/mastered DVD. I therefore thought I had wasted a lot of money.

As an aside, after replacing my old VHS tapes with the NEW, GREAT discs, I had decided that I'd never again upgrade my movie collection with so-called technological "improvements" as I was convinced the DVDs were the ultimate in picture and sound quality. I currently own about 1400 DVDs so as you can see, I've sunk a lot of money into entertainment items that I've already seen at least once during my lifetime (I'm 75 yo) I'm a rabid movie fan so I (formerly) considered it money well spent.

But as I approach the end of my life, I've given some thought to the whole thing and thought to myself "Really, Jim, what was the purpose?" and "what are you gonna do with all these movies that the younger generation doesn't care for at all?". I've about decided that I'll give the whole shebang to my local library. Let THEM decide the disposition of the films. Any of my Duke friends think I'm getting a little soft in the head? If so, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

P.S.
    I welcome any recommendations concerning the disposition of all those films.

De gustibus non est disputandum

Edited 2 times, last by Stumpy ().

• I'm quite young but have no interest in upgrading my media beyond DVD, while Blu Ray sounds nice it's still not that common around my way and I imagine it'll be a long time yet before DVDs go out of fashion and even then I'll still keep a few players handy and will be unlikely to upgrade my collection. I guess i'm just not great with technology or change despite being the right age for it. For my birthday I also received the Jimmy Stewart tv movie Hawkins collection which i'm really looking forward to watching as iv'e never seen any of them before.

• But as I approach the end of my life, I've given some thought to the whole thing and thought to myself "Really, Jim, what was the purpose?" and "what are you gonna do with all these movies that the younger generation doesn't care for at all?". I've about decided that I'll give the whole shebang to my local library. Let THEM decide the disposition of the films. Any of my Duke friends think I'm getting a little soft in the head? If so, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

P.S.
    I welcome any recommendations concerning the disposition of all those films.

I think the Library is a good idea, Stumpy. Another idea would be do donate to a local retirement home. The resident folks there would be more of an audience for your older films.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "