2010- FIFA (Soccer) World Cup- South Africa

There are 81 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 18,271 times. The latest Post () was by badger.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Well for any member that's into football, to us Brits,
    and soccer to our American members,
    the World Cup draw was announced today and guess what.
    England and the USA are in the same group,
    joined by Algeria and Slovenia.

I personally think it's a great draw for both our teams,
    to progress to the next stage.

Please join in football and soccer fans, and let us know your views.

2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 4 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Hi

A little known fact to our American cousins is that The United States entered the world cup in 1950 played in Brazil and drawn against England they won 1-0 one of the great upsets in world cup history.
    England had a superb team and the USA a bunch of amateurs.

This will be much different the USA team has won one competion already and will be a strong test. Like Kieth I fancy both to progress. Incidentally if James plays for England Portsmouth will have two representatives with Bel Hadj playing for Algiers.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Here are the USA squad players who play for English teams:-

Jozy Altidore.Hull City
    Jay DeMerit. Watford FC
    Clint Dempsey.Fulham FC
    Brad Guzan.Aston Villa
    Marcus Hahnemann.Wolverhampton Wanderers FC
    Tim Howard. Everton FC
    Eddie Johnson.Fulham FC
    Frank Simek. Sheffield Wednesday
    Jonathan Spector. West Ham United.

and one famous player who plays in the USA

David Beckham
    .LA Galaxy

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 5 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• its great to see the great soccer teams in the world cup.for me i think spain will win the world cup.their pure class.its a pity the rep of ireland are not in it since we were cheated out of a place due to henry hand ball.theres a electric store in waterford that when france gets knocked out they will give you a 100 euros of any televisions,dvds or any electric stuff.hope they gety knocked out early.

• My grandparents are from the "old country," and they work themselves into a tizzy every four years rooting for Team Germany. For myself, and for most other Americans, it's the ultimate non-event. It barely registers a blip on the sports radar screen here, although ESPN is trying their level best to promote the heck out of it here. Baseball, football, hockey, basketball, NASCAR, golf, ect. are all far more popular on this side of the pond.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• i m really looking forward to it now the domestic season is over - if we don t win it then i hope germany do. i ve always liked them ever since their 1974 cup team

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• Have to admit any interest I had in football waned over the years. Maybe being a Everton supporter brought that on naturally LOL.

Anyway all the best to all teams but as Tim Howard is Everton player!!!

• I ve drawn Ghana in a sweep so will be looking out for them = DukePilgrim, nothing wrong with being an Everton supporter - they had, as I remember, a really good team in the 80s

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• World Cup 2010 team guide: USA

OVERVIEW

World Cup guide - USA

South Africa has already proved to be a land of opportunity for the United States, who unexpectedly reached the Confederations Cup final there last summer in thrilling fashion. They defeated African champions Egypt and then ended the world record unbeaten run of Euro 2008 winners Spain before succumbing to Brazil after letting slip a 2-0 lead.
    The USA went on to reach a second final a month later in the Gold Cup, before finishing as group winners in a straightforward World Cup qualifying campaign. But the last year has not been an outright success story. A run of five defeats against fellow World Cup qualifiers has cultivated doubts about the team's pedigree, while injury problems could yet expose their lack of strength in depth.
    Aim: To qualify from their group, and preferably finish top. Finishing second in Group C means a probable last-16 tie against Germany.
    THREE KEY PLAYERS

TIM HOWARD The 31-year-old Everton keeper has been a USA regular since helping his country win the Gold Cup in 2007. He made a career-high 13 international appearances last year, and won the Golden Gloves award for the best goalkeeper at the Confederations Cup in South Africa.

MICHAEL BRADLEY The son of US national coach Bob has overcome the inevitable accusations of nepotism to become a vital member of the team. Bradley anchors the midfield but admits he "can't afford to be one-dimensional." Five goals in World Cup qualifying are testament to the fact he isn't. He has been a mainstay of the Borussia Mönchengladbach midfield for the past two seasons.

LANDON DONOVAN The national team's record goalscorer was crowned US Footballer of the Year for an unprecedented sixth time last year. He played in the 2002 and 2006 World Cups and scored five goals in qualifying for South Africa. His 10-week spell at Everton this year - in which he scored two goals in 13 appearances - enhanced his reputation but did little for his complexion; upon returning to LA Galaxy, tanned team-mate Chris Klein said Donovan "looked like he's been hiding in a closet for a few months."
    World Cup photo album: USA
    THE MANAGER

BOB BRADLEY Widely regarded as a master tactician, Bradley has stepped out of the shadow of his friend and former mentor Bruce Arena since replacing him as national coach in December 2006. Bradley was initially given the role on a temporary basis after a failed bid to lure Jurgen Klinsmann, but the US Soccer Federation opted to stick with him and were rewarded with the 2007 Gold Cup title, the Confederations Cup final and World Cup qualification. Despite his success, Bradley polarises opinion among fans. He is unapologetic about his emphasis on a well-organised defence, with the exuberant performances seen at the Confederations Cup an exception to the rule.
    ADOPT THEM BECAUSE...
    The chances are you have already been cheering for at least one of their players anyway: club sides from 10 different countries are represented in the squad, with a record 19 members playing outside the USA.
    HOW THEY QUALIFIED

USA's World Cup qualifying highlights

W 8-0 Barbados (H)
    W 1-0 Barbados (A)
    W 1-0 Guatemala (A)
    W 1-0 Cuba (A)
    W 3-0 Trinidad (H)
    W 6-1 Cuba (H)
    L 1-2 Trinidad (A)
    W 2-0 Guatemala (H)
    W 2-0 Mexico (H)
    D 2-2 El Salvador (A)
    W 3-0 Trinidad (H)
    L 3-1 Costa Rica (A)
    W 2-1 Honduras (H)
    L 2-1 Mexico (A)
    W 2-1 El Salvador (H)
    W 1-0 Trinidad (A)
    W 3-2 Honduras (A)
    D 2-2 Costa Rica (H)
    Qualified in first place in Concacaf standings
    WORLD CUP BEST
    1930: Finished third in the inaugural World Cup in Uruguay, which featured 13 teams. A quarter-final appearance in 2002 is their best performance in recent history.
    Written by Noel Sliney

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• I ve drawn Ghana in a sweep so will be looking out for them = DukePilgrim, nothing wrong with being an Everton supporter - they had, as I remember, a really good team in the 80s

Yes, unfortunately they co-ordinate winning things and having good teams as often as that blue light came round for Ursula Andress in She.

Can you imagine growing up in the 1970s when that other team were winning things. Talk about hardening you who needs to join the marines

Mind you it is nearly 25 years since our last burst of success so who knows!!!

• Well over here tensions start to build up :)

It's the time (every other two years) when Germany is as close as it can
    get to Argentina, Italy or Brasil.. moodwise.
    We have a young team (the youngest since 1934), but we're a tournament team. Everything's possible :)

Nobody here was rally happy about the Ballack incident, but it looks like other teams are following us with bad luck (Robben, Drogba, Ferdinand, Pirlo - VIVA MEXICO -).

In 1990 the final was held on my birthday - and we won :)
    (I hope no more penalty shooting against England, this time we might lose)