Duke's Documentaries

There are 76 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 85,465 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I just bought a dvd about the life story of Gen.lewis (Chesty) Puller.
    He was the most decorated Marine in Corp history. The film is narrated on
    screen by John Wayne with film by John Ford.
    anyone else have any vhs or dvds narrated by Duke?

Loads of them.

I am not sure folks realise just how much work JW did other than his 204+ films.

My collection (and bobs) of individual audio and video items, which covers TV shows, films, radio shows, interviews, commercials, documentaries, promos etc is approx 900 items and I know of at least 200 I do not have.

We have pulled together a list of documentaries which includes those narrated by JW but it is a bity out of date I will try to get it updated soon.

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Elly anything you can post would be great. With that list you have it may take till 2011.

Hi Bill

there is a start here

http://www.dukewayne.com/showthread.php?t=4635

and also look in the list of JW TV appearances in the same form there may be a few things on there as well.

I need to warn you collectiing in this area of JWs work is all consuming! if you dont beleive me just ask Colorado Bob LOL

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Nothing of great importance, but this release has me at least curious.

As far as I can tell it contains this documentary

Looks like it includes the two VHS documentaries.
    Bigger Than Life, and The American West of John Ford, (see below)
    They both released as VHS (I have them)
    See here:=
    Duke's Documentaries- Discussion-Post 6

Looks like as in DVD releases, it has 'extras'.

Bigger Than Life

Quote from ethanedwards

This documentary pays homage, to Duke
    throughout is life, showing rare footage
    and clips, a worthy tribute to a classic legend.

Personally, I thought it was just about OK!!!

The American West of John Ford

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Odessa,
    I'm wondering if the special to which you are referring might be the documentary "The Turning of the Earth" which I believe is available as one of the extras on The Searchers DVD. It's been a real long time since I've watched it, so I can't be sure, but it's worth checking (even it's not what you're looking for, it's good watching). If I'm wrong, one of my compadres will jump in and let us know. :wink_smile:

Again, welcome to the JWMB! We look forward to getting better acquainted!

Chester :newyear: (and the Mrs. :angel1: says "Howdy" too!)

Glad you mentioned this Jim, and it got me thinking that we hadn't posted this doc before.

So here it is, I will also copy this to the
    Duke's Documentaries

A Turning of the Earth: John Ford, John Wayne and the Searchers (1998)

Documentary on the making of _Searchers, The (1956)starring John Wayne and directed by John Ford, with outtake

Directed by
    Nick Redman

Writing Credits
    Nick Redman

Patrick Wayne ... Narrator (voice)
    John Milius ... voice of John Milius (voice)
    Pippa Scott ... Pippa Scott (voice)
    Lana Wood ... Lana Wood (voice)
    Dan Ford ... Dan Ford (voice)
    Peter Rainer ... Harry Carey Jr. (voice)

Produced
    Brian Jamieson .... producer
    Nick Redman .... producer
    Michael Rosendale .... co-producer
    Vince Stancarone .... producer
    Trevor Willsmer .... associate producer

Thanks
    Harry Carey Jr. .... special thanks
    Ted Elrick .... special thanks
    John Ford .... dedicatee
    John Wayne .... dedicatee

User Review

featuring tons of outtakes and rare footage from "the searchers" intercut with interviews of many of the surviving cast and crew,
    "the turning of the earth" is an outstanding documentary about the making of one of the greatest films of all time.
    it's insightful, well-researched and well-made, one of the finest films on the making of a film. "the turning of the earth"
    is (as far as i know) only available with "the searchers" special edition laserdisc, but it's well worth seeking out for any
    john wayne/john ford fans. for fans of "the searchers" it's an absolute must.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• Interesting to see the full 90 minutes of the Gene Autry Western tribute. I've only ever seen bits on Youtube before. I am not sure there is any other footage of Wayne and Ford together being themselves. Curious how much Wayne stands behind Ford, not pushing in, unlike Ward Bond, who Ford hastily pushes to one side. Also interesting how much Ford touches Wayne, puts a hand on his shoulder, leg. Very Possessive body language.

I never saw the ending before but in the mock fight with James Arness and the stuntman, you can see Duke crash in and "win" the fight, while everyone around starts laughing. As it was filmed live it looks like it was not planned and Wayne was having fun.

• The American West of John Ford....that is the one I was telling Peter about. I had never seen it and thought I had seen all of his. But it was on that $5 John Wayne Tribute Collection I mentioned before with all the 1939 movies, Angel and the Badman, and McClintock on it. That was a great bit on Ford. Just wish they wouldn't have put in all the movie parts and just done what they did with Pappy, Hank Fonda, Jimmy Stewart, and Andy Devine....that was funny! Notice how Pappy says he wanted Ward Bond for the part but he couldn't drive a six-up. Wondered if that was true...now, I heard it from HIMSELF! I actually seeing Lucy Meets John Wayne on TV a few times.

Well about ready for my post on Katie Elder. Guess there are no rules, you just do it as you want. KPKEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• The American West of John Ford....that is the one I was telling Peter about. I had never seen it and thought I had seen all of his. But it was on that $5 John Wayne Tribute Collection I mentioned before with all the 1939 movies, Angel and the Badman, and McClintock on it. That was a great bit on Ford. Just wish they wouldn't have put in all the movie parts and just done what they did with Pappy, Hank Fonda, Jimmy Stewart, and Andy Devine....that was funny! Notice how Pappy says he wanted Ward Bond for the part but he couldn't drive a six-up. Wondered if that was true...now, I heard it from HIMSELF! I actually seeing Lucy Meets John Wayne on TV a few times.

Well about ready for my post on Katie Elder. Guess there are no rules, you just do it as you want. KPKEITH

Previously posted here:-

The American West of John Ford (1971) (TV) (68 mins)

Produced by Tom Egan, Dan Ford and Brit Lomond
    Directed by Denis Sanders

Hosted and Narrated by John Wayne,
    Henry Fonda, and James Stewart,
    this documentary pays homage to
    'The guy who made westerns'
    Duke joins John Ford in Monument Valley,
    which also features, Andy Devine.
    Includes many clips from the films,
    made there with Ford.

A worthwhile documentary, and a must have.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• WOW, and I got mine for $5 plus a lot of old movies and a documentary on John Wayne! It has four DvdS. Sometimes you just get lucky! KPKEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Do you count running movie commentaries or only separate documentaries?

Keith

Really stand alone Documentaries.
    The problem with this subject is that some have been shown, but not released.
    However I have attempted to highlight the one's we know of so far.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Here's a few more I have come across,
    Anyone seen or got them??

THE YOUNG DUKE:Wayne Before Stagecoach
    Bob Sessions; Wonderland Entertainment.(1994)

Traces John Wayne's early career from his debut in 1928 in silent films and westerns, showing original and rare footage.

The story of the man who personified the tough laconic peace-maker of the prairie before his rise to stardom.
    John Wayne made 80 films in eight years prior to “Stagecoach”, and during this time developed the swaying walk
    and lopsided grin that was to become his trademark.
    From his first film job as an extra, this programme features many of his early roles.

Watch this trailer
    Trailer

COWBOYS OF THE SATURDAY MATINEE (75 mins)
    James Coburn (Host) (1984)

Hosted by James Coburn, "Cowboys of the Saturday Matinee" takes a fond look back
    at many of Hollywood's most famous western heroes.
    Features archive footage of
    Gene Autry, Tex Ritter , Roy Rogers
    and John Wayne

A NATION BUILDS A FIRE (40 mins)
    (Vietnam War)
    Armed Forces Information & Education/ U.S. Department of Defense.(1967)

Introduced by Vice-President Hubert Humphrey and hosted on camera by John Wayne, this Defense Department film describes the Vietnamese social revolution, in which the South Vietnamese Government is trying to improve the health and welfare of the people and build a nation. Individual US soldiers explain how America is helping this effort. Footage includes Saigon street scenes, peasant life, Seabees construction projects, sailors teaching carpentry to Vietnamese children, and the training and village operations of revolutionary development cadres.

Propaganda documentary account of the South Vietnamese social revolution and the ways in which the United States attempted to help the Vietnamese populace modernize and defend their country.

THAT'S ACTION (108 mins)
    John Wayne (Primary Contributor), Cary Grant (Primary Contributor), G. David Schine (Director). (1977)

Art Linkletter hosts this compilation of action-filled scenes from over thirty Saturday matinee favorites, including "Gunga Din," "The Hunchback Of Notre Dame," "Johnny Guitar," "High Noon," Fair Wind To Java," "The Quiet Man," "Rio Grande," "White Cargo," "Salome," "Flying Tigers," "The Fighting Seabees," "Dakota Incident," "Dark Command," Brimstone," "Angels of the Amazon," "War Of The Wildcats," "Sands of Iwo Jima" and many more.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 5 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• The 'other' one off the The Searchers 2 Disc Special edition

THE SEARCHERS AN APPRECIATION (30:58)
    John Milius/ Martin Scorsese/ Curtis Hanson>(1956/ 1998)

Three directors, John Milius, Martin Scorsese, and Curtis Hanson, track their relationship with the film and explicate its fine points. The image is widescreen and enhanced. Frankly, one gets more out of this than Bogdanovich's audio track. It's heart-wrenching to hear Milius wax so eloquently about The Searchers, as his career achievement could easily be comparable to Ford's, were it not for a vague, unofficial blackballing of the man in Hollywood due to his politics. This featurette is credited only to Sparkhill Productions and copyrighted 2006.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England