Duke's Documentaries

There are 76 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 85,885 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Keith

Quote" Old June 5th, 2003
    AEC23

The Searchers Documentary
    I ran across some info on a documentary made about the Searchers and was curious if anyone has seen it. It's called A Turning of the Earth:John Ford, John Wayne, and the Searchers. The review I read said... ,"featuring tons of outtakes and rare footage from "the searchers" intercut with interviews of many of the surviving cast and crew, "the turning of the earth" is an outstanding documentary about the making of one of the greatest films of all time. it's insightful, well-researched and well-made, one of the finest films on the making of a film. "the turning of the earth" is (as far as i know) only available with "the searchers" special edition laserdisc, but it's well worth seeking out for any john wayne/john ford fans. for fans of "the searchers" it's an absolute must."

It said only available with the laserdisc. Has anyone found it anywhere else? It really sounded like something that I would love to see. :D

Old June 6th, 2003
    dukefan1

end quote

This is on the searchers DVD just in case you did not know :teeth_smile:

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Hi Elly,

I copied you original post over to this thread,
    and it, and the corresponding replies can be seen,
    just a little fouther up on this page.

Thanks for updating us

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• With so many of Duke's movies out on DVD since the inception of this thread, many documentaries are also now readily available, some on their own, and others as special features on the film's DVD. I am (bump)-ing this thread to bring it to the attention of some of our newer members. I strongly urge you to read from the beginning of the thread. Keith has amassed some excellent information here, with a huge amount of help from Elly and DukePilgrim, as to what is out there.

It would be good if you have seen some of these documentaries, to add your thoughts in this thread. Reading through has renewed my interest in obtaining some of them that I don't have, and watching again some of the ones I already own.

Chester :newyear:

• With so many of Duke's movies out on DVD since the inception of this thread, many documentaries are also now readily available, some on their own, and others as special features on the film's DVD. I am (bump)-ing this thread to bring it to the attention of some of our newer members. I strongly urge you to read from the beginning of the thread. Keith has amassed some excellent information here, with a huge amount of help from Elly and DukePilgrim, as to what is out there.

It would be good if you have seen some of these documentaries, to add your thoughts in this thread. Reading through has renewed my interest in obtaining some of them that I don't have, and watching again some of the ones I already own.

Hi Chester, Sue keith etc...

I just finished updating some of these lists. Just when i think I am done

How about a way of posting these lists so that memebers can add to or change them?

I would love to see this board be the source of the most accurate and comprehensive information of this kind.

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• In honor of the anniversary of John Wayne's death, we watched this tonight. We've had it quite a while, but just now got around to watching it.

It was OK. It seemed to have a less-than-enthusiastic presentation. It had many familiar photographs, but also some I had never seen before.

One thing I particularly noticed was that the time line they presented, of Duke's marriages, was consistent with the possibility of an 'indiscretion' that may have resulted in a not-acknowledged-publicly child.

It was interesting that there was NO mention whatsoever of Pat Stacy, but I think that must have been out of respect for Pilar, who was obviously willing to be interviewed extensively for the special. Otherwise, the producers were not especially shy about mentioning other affairs he'd had (Marlena Dietrich, for example).

There was no comment by any of his children, which I found surprising.

Anyway, it was interesting, but not particularly outstanding, IMO.

Mrs. C :angel1: (Chester is beside me, :sleep_1:)

• I have that on DVD, it is as you say, adequate. Nothing in it is going to make you sit up and say "Wow, I didn't know that". But it is good to have a biography of Duke on a video that I can watch at my leisure.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hi jim & Sue thanks for the review I was interested in your observations that the timeline allowed for an indescretion ( an intersresting choice of words too!)

So are you saying you beleive the claims of Dwayne? I myself do not know enough about him to make a judgement one way or the other. However, it strikes me that JW was not the kind of man to shirk his responsibilities. on ther other hand if there was a huge stigma attached to this at this time then perhpas I can see how he might not want it made public?

maybe we will never know mores the pity.

So are you saying you believe the claims of Dwayne? I myself do not know enough about him to make a judgment one way or the other. However, it strikes me that JW was not the kind of man to shirk his responsibilities. on the other hand if there was a huge stigma attached to this at this time then perhaps I can see how he might not want it made public?

I don't know how bad the stigma would have been, or whether Duke would be so worried about it as to not do the "right thing". I do remember reading in Pilar's book about her life with Duke, that she had gotten pregnant while Duke was still married to Chata (though they were separated). She was worried that it would ruin Duke's career if it got out. But Duke left the decision up to her as to what she wanted to do. If she wanted to have the child, Duke would have stood by her. She chose not to, but it shows that Duke was understanding of the enormity of the situation and wasn't about to duck the responsibility.

I am like you, Elle, as I am not ready or knowing enough to chose to believe or not Duane's story. Like Sue said, the time-line fit if Duke was loose with himself, but more proof would be needed.

Now, back to the topic, I agree with Sue and Todd in that the Biograpy was average at best. Worth a watch, but not to repeat for a while after.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

Edited once, last by dukefan1 ().

• It turns out we had this in our VHS drawer, and had never opened it! So we watched it last night. The short about McLintock! was narrated by Maureen O'Hara. The one about In Harm's Way had quite a bit of information by and about Otto Preminger. I think I have seen the one about The Cowboys (maybe on the DVD?), although at the time the tape was released, it may have been rare.

Most of what we saw, we had not seen before - it was completely worth it, from that standpoint.

• I love the documentaries on The Searchers two set disc. I particularly like the home video's of John Wayne and John Ford.

The one that is really interesting is John Ford looking over the edge of the huge rock that they used for Marty to be swung down. The crew are all standing around watching as Ford looks over the edge. John Wayne in full costume a Ethan is back a few steps with a good hard grip on his wrist making sure Ford does not topple over the edge.

dee

• I'll pay a very high price to finally get
    BIG GAME HUNTERS WITHOUT GUNS.

A behind the scenes featurette on the shooting of HATARI! in color.
    It was available in 35mm & 16mm.
    I could also digitalize it in case anybody has a print at home.

• I'll pay a very high price to finally get
    BIG GAME HUNTERS WITHOUT GUNS.

A behind the scenes featurette on the shooting of HATARI! in color.
    It was available in 35mm & 16mm.
    I could also digitalize it in case anybody has a print at home.

Me too! except I will have to send it to you Mike to digitise it!

• Hello to members of the community JW

The French research the Videos or DVDs of the following events:

• An All-Star Tribute to John Wayne
    1976 - USA - Documentary - 1h

With Glen Campbell (himself), Angie Dickinson (herself), Ron Howard (Himself), Maureen O'Hara (itself), Frank Sinatra (Himself)

The story of "An All-Star Tribute to John Wayne"
    A documentary dedicated to John Wayne by big Hollywood stars

•On Board with the Duke 1995 (68 mins)
    John Wayne and The Wild Goose

•John Wayne The American Unquiet (1997) (60mins)

•Young Duke; The Making of a Movie Star 1992 (45 mins)

•Plimpton! Shootout at Rio Lobo. 1970 (50 mins)

•John Wayne the Duke Lives On: A Tribute 1984 (48 mins)

If can show me where I can find these documents or if I find them I'll be ecstatic.

In the meantime thank you for your answers

lasbugas

Note: I own a video of an interview with John PARIS to present the film Los ALAMOS

• I just bought a dvd about the life story of Gen.lewis (Chesty) Puller.
    He was the most decorated Marine in Corp history. The film is narrated on
    screen by John Wayne with film by John Ford.
    anyone else have any vhs or dvds narrated by Duke?

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• awesome thread, I didn't know a lot of these existed. Better update the Christmas List. :shades_smile:

take a look at the Lists in this Forum which will let you know whats out there.

Beware though! there is a lot of stuff and once you get hooked it takes over LOL

• Hi I have all of these and do a bit of trading with fellow john Wayne fans if you want to send me a PM and we can discuss this.