Bardelys The Magnificent (1926)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 6 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by ethanedwards.

• Bardelys The Magnificent (1926)

BARDELYS THE MAGNIFICENT

DIRECTED BY KING VIDOR
      METRO-GOLDWYN-MAYER

Plot Summary
      Bardely is a notorious ladykiller of the court, handing out lockets with snippets
      of his hair (which really come from a wig) like there's no tomorrow.
      When his abilities to win any woman are challenged,
      Bardely masquerades as a wanted rebel in order to win the damsel’s hand.
      Unfortunately, he also wins the attention of the law,
      who want to hang him for his crimes against the king.
      by ethanedwards

Information from IMDb

Full Cast
      John Gilbert ... Bardelys
      Eleanor Boardman ... Roxalanne de Lavedan
      Roy D'Arcy ... Chatellerault
      Lionel Belmore ... Vicomte de Lavedan
      Emily Fitzroy ... Vicomtesse de Lavedan
      George K. Arthur ... St. Eustache
      Arthur Lubin ... King Louis XIII
      Theodore von Eltz ... Lesperon
      Karl Dane ... Rodenard
      Edward Connelly ... Cardinal Richelieu
      Fred Malatesta ... Castelrous
      John T. Murray ... Lafosse
      Joe Smith Marba ... Innkeeper (as Joseph Marba)
      Daniel G. Tomlinson ... Sergeant of Dragoons
      Emile Chautard ... Anatol
      Max Barwyn ... Cozelatt
      Gino Corrado ... Duellist (uncredited)
      Lou Costello ... Extra (uncredited)
      Lon Poff ... Prison Friar (uncredited)
      Carl Stockdale ... Judge of the Tribunal (uncredited)
      Duke Morrison ... Guard (uncredited)

Writing credits
      Rafael Sabatini- (novel "Bardelys the Magnificent")
      Dorothy Farnum- (adaptation and scenario)

Original Music
      William Axt (uncredited)
      R.H. Bassett (uncredited)

Cinematography
      William H. Daniels

Trivia
      Movie Status
      Long thought lost, a print of this film was discovered
      in a private collection and restored for a DVD release.
      It was missing its third reel, but scenes from the trailer
      and production stills were edited in via a continuity script

According to Turner Classic Movies host Robert Osborne,
      the reason this film was (almost) lost was that Rafael Sabatini,
      the author of the book, didn't sell the movie rights to MGM outright.
      Instead, he leased them for 10 years, and in 1936 MGM
      chose not to renew the lease because it decided that a silent film
      with a now-dead star no longer had commercial value.
      So, according to the terms of Sabatini's contract,
      MGM destroyed the negative and all known prints.

This Movie has now as a result of restoration,
      become available.

Filming Locations
      Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios - 10202 W. Washington Blvd., Culver City, California, USA

Watch this Clip

[extendedmedia]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTX3RlwOdbo[/extendedmedia]

Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 16 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Re: Bardelys The Magnificent (1926)

Bardelys the Magnificent is a 1926 American romantic silent film directed by King Vidor
      and starring John Gilbert and Eleanor Boardman.
      The film is based on a novel by Rafael Sabatini.
      It was the second film of the 19 year old John Wayne, who had a minor role.

This is one of Duke's movies,
      that has now as a result of restoration,
      become available.

It is a slient movie
      Released just after Brown of Harvard,
      in the spring of 1926, near the end of Duke's
      second semester at USC.

During Duke's freshman year at USC,
      he earned pocket money as an extra
      Duke is uncredited, as far as we are aware cannot be seen.
      He is portrayed as a 'spear-carrying guard'

Life Magazine
      Bardelys the Magnificent (1926)
      marks Gilbert's fifth collaboration with director King Vidor,
      who also led Glibert to two of his greatest triumphs
      with The Big Parade (1925) and La Boheme (1926),
      breaking him out of the “pretty boy” mould
      and giving him challenging, meaty roles which brought
      his hitherto untapped acting potential. Vidor,
      similarly an unfortunately forgotten figure,
      was one of the top filmmakers of the 1920s,
      with a rarely equaled gift for naturalistic
      yet poetic storytelling, effortlessly moving
      between comedy, romance, drama and —
      as Bardelys the Magnificent proves — action, as well.
      A comic swashbuckler in the Douglas Fairbanks tradition
      (and one of the few that actually deserves
      the comparison and rivals any of the master's own films)

User Review
      Gilbert in his prime as romantic swashbuckler.
      10 November 2010 | by st-shot (United States)

John Gilbert is in his dashing prime as the great lover in Bardelys the Magnificent. Adept at both swordsmanship and seduction Gilbert intersects the careers of Fairbanks and Flynn with a dash and panache equal to them in their heyday.

In the court of Louis Xlll no one is more gossiped about than the charismatic Bardelys, an insatiable rake who literally has women lining up on his doorstep to be seduced. The fun loving Bardelys delights in deluding the ladies with the same pick-up lines sending each away with the feeling they are that special one. Bardelys enviable talents however draws the enmity of Chatterault (Roy D'Arcy) a recently spurned suitor of the the lovely Roxanne (Eleanor Boardman). In a devious attempt to even things up with both he challenges Bardelys to seduce her sight unseen. What Bardelys expects to be another day at the office, however, turns into passionate love and Chatterault vows revenge on both.

Gilbert is perfect fit as Bardelys. With dark piercing eyes he conveys both a hard to resist charm and noble resolve. In addition to his expressive features Gilbert displays a wily limberness in some action scenes where he does some challenging stunt work. As the venal Chatterault Roy D'Arcy aquiline features bespeaks iniquity. Eleanor Boardman's sedate beauty and restraint as Roxanne brings counterpoint to Gilbert's rakish Bardelys and it's all good chemistry.

Director King Vidor who made a star out of Gilbert in The Big Parade the previous year injects Bardelys with his signature crane and exposition shots to bring grandeur to the court as well as depict the hedonistic existence of the let them eat cake crowd. Dividing the film with ample amounts of action, romance and humor Vidor keeps Bardelys moving and magnificent most of the way.
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 7 times, last by ethanedwards ().

Hi Keith

I just got a copy of the restored version of this and have spent hours looking at the "spear carrying guards" and have not spotted JW yet!

However my eyes are not as young as they used to be and I just KNOW someone will tell us at what point in the film JW can be seen.

WHEN someone tells me I shall post a screen capture and the clip here.
      Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

The post was edited 1 time, last by Elly: Spelling ().

Hello,

I have just watched this movie via Netflix. I know the movie reviews tell us that he plays a spear carrying guard.

However, if you look closely, the Duke is one of the four soldiers that carries out the dead body after the Count falls on his sword. I replayed this scene several times, pausing, etc and I am convinced he is one of those soldiers. Take a look and see if you agree.

eastou wrote:

Hello,

I have just watched this movie via Netflix. I know the movie reviews tell us that he plays a spear carrying guard.

However, if you look closely, the Duke is one of the four soldiers that carries out the dead body after the Count falls on his sword. I replayed this scene several times, pausing, etc and I am convinced he is one of those soldiers. Take a look and see if you agree.

I agree with you. prior to this JW can also be seen with a spear as a guard but only for about 3 seconds!
      Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

I. “Pexy said…..It was about this time [1926], too that Duke and Pexy made a little money as extras in motion pictures, even before Duke began working at Fox studios… Duke worked as a football player in several of them... I was usually employed as a football fan in the crowd scenes. I remember one of them was filmed in the rose bowl….I do recall the title of one we worked in though, because it was a big budget film and starred John Gilbert. It was called Bardelays (sic) the magnificent……Duke portrayed one of the spear carrying guards who were gathered around the gallows where Gilbert was about to be hanged. The script called for Gilbert’s character to grab a spear from one of the guards and use it to pole vault over the crowd, thereby escaping….and I did the pole vaulting stunt. Duke and I enjoyed such work and were grateful for the pay which was about eight or ten dollars a day – good money back then”. Page 66-671

II. “Duke’s participation in this film was heretofore unknown. Pexy Eckles recalled it during our interview with him. Duke portrayed one of several spear carrying guards gathered around a gallows where Gilbert was to be hanged. Pexy doubled for Gilbert; neither he nor Duke were billed” Page 3891

III. “Wayne and his boyhood friend Pexy Eckles were hired as spear-carrying guards in the gallows scene.” Page 302

With thanks to Elly
      John Wayne Before Stagecoach
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 1 time, last by ethanedwards ().