Brown Of Harvard (1926)

There are 8 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 17,076 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• BROWN OF HARVARD

DIRECTED BY JACK CONWAY
    PRODUCED BY HARRY RAPF/ IRVING THALBERG
    METRO-GOLDWYN-MAYER

Information from IMDb

Plot Summary
    Tom Brown is confident and a bit arrogant,when he shows up at Harvard.
    He becomes a rival of Bob McAndrew, not only in football and rowing crew,
    but also for the affections of Mary Abbott, a professor's daughter.
    Both put their differences aside, to defeat Yale during the crucial game.
    by ethanedwards

Full Cast
    William Haines ... Tom Brown
    Jack Pickford ... Jim Doolittle
    Mary Brian ... Mary Abbott
    Ralph Bushman ... Bob McAndrew (as Francis X. Bushman Jr.)
    Mary Alden ... Mrs. Brown
    David Torrence ... Mr. Brown
    Edward Connelly ... Professor Abbott
    Guinn 'Big Boy' Williams ... Hal Walters (as Guinn Williams)
    Donald Reed ... Reggie Smythe (as Ernest Gillen)
    Robert Livingston ... Harvard Student / Yale Cheering Section / Harvard Spectator (uncredited)
    Grady Sutton ... One of the Dickeys (uncredited)
    Duke Morrison ... Yale Football Player (uncredited)

Writing Credits
    Joseph Farnham (titles) (as Joe Farnham)
    Donald Ogden Stewart adaptation
    A.P. Younger scenario
    Rida Johnson Young play "Brown of Harvard"

Cinematography
    Ira H. Morgan

Trivia
    John Wayne makes his first screen appearance here as a member of the Yale football team.

The original Broadway production of "Brown of Havard" by Rida Johnson Young
    opened at the Princess Theater on February 26, 1906 and ran for 101 performances.

The ball game used actual footage, from the previous year's
    Yale- Harvard meeting. by ethanedwards

Filming Locations
    Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 16 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Brown of Harvard is a 1926 American silent film directed by Jack Conway
    and starring William Haines, Jack Pickford, and Mary Brian.
    Released by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, the film is based on the successful
    1906 Broadway play Brown of Harvard by Rida Johnson Young
    who also co-wrote the popular music for the play along with Melvin Ellis.

The film is the best known of the three Brown of Harvard films,
    presenting the screen debut of John Wayne. Uncredited,
    Wayne played a Yale football player. Grady Sutton and Robert Livingston,
    both of whom went on to long and successful careers, also appear uncredited.
    The 1918 film included future Boston Redskins coach William "Lone Star" Dietz
    and the only Washington State University football team to win a Rose Bowl.

This is a most significent film,
    as initially it was thought
    that this the first movie that
    the young Duke Morrison appeared in, but not visibly seen.
    However its is now considered that Duke
    first visible appearance was in
    the Ham Hamillton Comedy.
    Careful Please
    released earlier in the year of 1926.

It is also worth noting that it was a silent movie.

During Duke's freshman year at USC,
    he earned pocket money as an extra
    Although Duke is un-credited,
    he doubled for Bushman in the football scenes.
    Ward Bond, whom Duke met at this time
    was also in this squad.

User Review

Truly brilliant film is full of surprises
    Author: David Atfield

This is an extraordinary film, that tricks you constantly. It seems to be heading toward cliche at several points, and then something astonishing will happen that genuinely startles. It would give away too much to say much more, but stick with this film and you will be richly rewarded. William Haines is absolutely delightful - he is certainly a star that deserves to be re-discovered. The gay subtext in his relationship with Jack Pickford is amazing - there is even a scene where Haines rubs Pickford's chest (Pickford has a cold). Both actors play this sub-text subtlely and with great depth of emotion, so that there are moments that are very moving. And I never thought I could get so involved in a football match as I did in this movie - and I don't even understand the rules! Also excellent is Francis X. Bushman's son Ralph as Haines' rival for the girl (yes, it's not completely a gay movie). Wonderful silent classic - a great example of Twenties commercial cinema with an edge.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 9 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Hello Elly....

Are you thinking that the football player with the #17 uniform in the left pix is JW?....I cannot tell if this is a Yale uniform or not, but this player seems more *stocky*(even with football uniform with pads) than JW would be at his age at the time..(19yrs old) I have seen several pix at early ages, and he was a fairly skinny guy....Yes?...What has been your experience?
    I am curious as to your motive for this supposition...I hope you are right!!

Best Regards,

Rob

• Hello Rob

I have this information re Brown of Harvard

“…among them Francis X. Bushman (for whom Duke had doubled in Brown of Harvard while still a USC student)” Page 118

Brown of Harvard (MGM 1925)…Duke cited this as his first appearance on film, a collegiate football picture in which he doubled on the playing field for Francis X. Bushman jr. Pexy Eckles was an extra in the grandstand scenes. Neither received billing” Page 389
    Shepherd, Donald and Slatzer, Robert withGrayson, Dave. Duke the Life and times of John Wayne, Sphere books UK, 1986. ISBN 0751507814. Donald Shepherd, Robert Slatzer and DaveGrayson were all personal friends of John Wayne. Slatzer (as Robert F Slatzer) was thedirector of No Substitute for victory,a documentary in which John Wayne was the narrator. Dave Grayson, as John Wayne’s personal makeup artist was on set with Duke for every film he made in the last 15 years of his life. Mr. Grayson kept extensive journals, which together with his personal recollections, were used in this book.

“The film is noteworthy as the first known screen appearance of John Wayne (then still known as Marion Morrison). He and several other USC footballers served as stand-ins for the actors. Wayne doubled for Francis X. Bushman, Jr.” Page 54
    Landesman, Fred. The John Wayne Filmography, McFarland & Company, Inc.,2007. ISBN 0786432527.

“Wayne can be seen on the football field as number 17.”
    http://dukefilmography.com/john_wayne_dvd_filmography.html

“[Duke] did some extra work in films like Brown of Harvard.”
    John Waynestory the early years Video documentary 2001 GT Media

Hope this helps

Elly

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Ive gone through the movie a frame at a time and I believe the figure on the right is the clearest shot there is showing that Duke is in fact number 17. Would appreciate any other thoughts on this from members.BrownofHarvard_Duke_17.JPG

• Great job, and I am sure it took a good while to catch this. It sure does look like a young Duke. Thanks for sharing it here!

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "