Books on Duke- Past Discussion (Archive)

There are 467 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 220,673 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi

When the book came out here it was still doubt if the two films would ever surface, and they could indeed be called lost. Now they have been issued the title is superflous. I bought the Lost Films after reading Carolyn McGiverns first book John Wayne - A Giant Shadow which I think is one of the best books ever written about John Wayne.

The Lost Films I think you could probably read it in a day and is very very lightweight, although it does contain some interesting insights.

But the beauty of this board is you form your own opinions as I have.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• During my last visit to Helsinki I bought Peter Bogdanovich book about legendary movie stars with whom he had contacts and take interview. The book is interesting in the whole (I like Peter Bogdanovich and his comments) and it contains mighty interesting chapter with the Duke interview.
    Regards,
    Senta

• Hi Arthur

I read the Lost Films by Carolyn McGivern. In depth discussion of High & Mighty and Island in the Sky plus a good read and interesting insight into Wayne Fellows and Batjac history.

Mike

• There's a couple of short story collections I've found Duke fans, and Western fans might be interested in: "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance- The Great Western Stories of Dorothy M. Johnson", which has the original short story as well as "The Hanging Tree" and "A Man Called Horse", and an earlier collection, "BEST OF THE WEST- STORIES THAT INSPIRED CLASSIC WESTERN FILMS", which has "Liberty Valance" and "Mission With No Record"- one of the stories "Rio Grande" was based on. Good reads!

• Hi Mike

Just read your question regarding Fred Landesman's book The John Wayne Filmography.
    Shortly before hiis untimely death I sent him the following messege that
    in my opinion his book could be compared to a pint of ice cold lager sitting on a bar waiting for you after you have completed a twenty mile run.

It is a very expensive book but worth every penny.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I have to agree, The John Wayne Filmography is a masterpiece and it's a book every Duke fan needs. Heck it's the only book you will need pertaining to his films. This book was worth every penny I spent on it, $20.00 and it was worth ten times as much. I was shocked to hear that the author had died, I was hoping that every three years it would be updated and revised.

• This was laugh-out-loud funny, Arthur! I bet even Dickens himself would approve of your reading choice!

Kcat

• I'm curious - of all the JW books mentioned on this thread, what are your personal favorites and the ones you consider most informative about our icon?

Speaking for myself, my favorites are "Shooting Star" by Maurice Zolotow (I have a copy autographed by the Duke himself - I know he didn't like the book but I sent him a copy and he autographed it anyway); "John Wayne - American" by Randy Roberts and James Olson; "Duke: The Life and Times of John Wayne" by Donald Shepherd and Robert Slatzer; "There Rode A Legend" by Jane Pattie and the filmography by Allen Eyles.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I'm curious - of all the JW books mentioned on this thread, what are your personal favorites and the ones you consider most informative about our icon?

Speaking for myself, my favorites are "Shooting Star" by Maurice Zolotow (I have a copy autographed by the Duke himself - I know he didn't like the book but I sent him a copy and he autographed it anyway); "John Wayne - American" by Randy Roberts and James Olson; "Duke: The Life and Times of John Wayne" by Donald Shepherd and Robert Slatzer; "There Rode A Legend" by Jane Pattie and the filmography by Allen Eyles.

That's easy

Maurice Zolotow's "Shooting Star"
    Fred Landesman's "The John Wayne Filmography"
    and
    Allan Eyles' : "John Wayne and the Movies"

• I'm in agreement with you, Stumpy. "John Wayne - American" by Randy Roberts and James Olson is the best biography when it comes to research done. Shooting Star ranks second to me. I also enjoyed Pilar's book John Wayne: My Life With The Duke.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Hi

I think I agree with most of your choices John Wayne American is very good as is Duke the Life and times of John Wayne. In its place Fred Landesman's book is superb.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I have read just about all the Books on Duke, and many of them were done by people that got their Information from some one or heard the story from some one else and very little Info. that they Lived them Self.
    :uhoh:

My favorites Books would be by some one that Knew or Lived with the Duke, like Pilar, Duke's Captain of His Boat The Wild Goose Bert Minshall, Maureen O'Hara that had stories about Duke and Ford in Her Book.
    :hyper:

My Favorite is Pat Stacy's Book " Duke A Love Story" because She Tells you things about Duke that Most People Would Not Know, because She was His Secretary and Sweetheart for the last 7 Years Of Duke's Life and said that She Loved Him.
    :broken_heart:

Chilibill
    :cowboy:

Just received my copy of The Trail Beyond volume VIII. I can't believe that it is eight yeras since the Big Trail completed and The Trail Beyond began. As always Tim Lilley does a memorable job and interestingly reviews the book The young Duke - the early life of John Wayne by HOWARD KAZANJIAN CHRIS ENNS suggesting that the inaccuarcies in the book make it one to avoid at all cost

Stay away from that book, right off i can think of one major mistake that irked me in that book.... they said he made 16 Singin' Sandy Saunders movies.....

• Hi all,
    I think my favorite is Shooting Star, I also like memories by Pilar, Pat Stacy and Alissa. But shame on me I haven't read this book JW American which all of you so highly appreciate. But I hope it will happened to me in future. For a pity my present life is very mixed up and I'm travelling much and really have very little time to what is my truly love and best joy.
    Regards,
    Senta

• Hi Arthur,
    Here Fred Landesman book is available, but it costs about 150$!!
    I'm not prepeared yet to pay that much.
    Regards,
    Senta:uhoh: