Books on Duke

There are 140 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 140,988 times. The latest Post () was by Tbone.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Peter thanks for this information, as we didn't have Photoplay profiled.
    I have now updated
    Duke's Movie Books- Part 3

PHOTOPLAY

Duke Cover not available

Photoplay was one of the first American film fan magazines.
    It was founded in 1911 in Chicago, the same year that J. Stuart Blackton founded a similar magazine
    entitled Motion Picture Story. For most of its life, it was published by Macfadden Publications.

Photoplay merged with another fan magazine, Movie Mirror, in 1941;
    and with TV-Radio Mirror in 1977, when the name became Photoplay and TV Mirror.
    The magazine ceased publication in 1980 and its staff were moved to Us magazine.

A British version of Photoplay debuted in 1950, featuring an equal mix of
    American and British films and stars, and ceased publication in 1989.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Here's a copy of Photoplay with Duke on it you can use, Keith.

Mark

Fantastic Mark, just what I required, I have re-edited the thread accordingly.
    Duke's Movie Books

PHOTOPLAY

July 1979. Photo courtesy of dukefan1

Photoplay was one of the first American film fan magazines.
    It was founded in 1911 in Chicago, the same year that J. Stuart Blackton founded a similar magazine
    entitled Motion Picture Story. For most of its life, it was published by Macfadden Publications.

Photoplay merged with another fan magazine, Movie Mirror, in 1941;
    and with TV-Radio Mirror in 1977, when the name became Photoplay and TV Mirror.
    The magazine ceased publication in 1980 and its staff were moved to Us magazine.

A British version of Photoplay debuted in 1950, featuring an equal mix of
    American and British films and stars, and ceased publication in 1989.

Duke was featured

July 1979
    August 1976
    August 1975
    August 1974
    February 1974
    Film Yearbook - 1973
    December 1973
    November 1973
    May 1973
    December 1972
    August 1972
    February 1971
    July 1970
    May 1970
    March 1970

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Thanks, Dooley! I will work on it and hopefully I can find the magazine as I try to get my hands on anything Ben is in. ;) Though sometimes I just don't have enough money... anyone want to front me $9,000 plus for this print? :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ben-Jo…rints&hash=item4abe37589d

Well, somehow, my post was removed, but it was up there right after you asked before anyone else answered. I said I had spent a good bit of time searching and had aksed two of my sources to find it. I called off the search as you skipped right over my post and on to Dooley's. Now, it isn't even here. So, one was on to it, but I told him it wasn't necessary anymore to stop tracing. When folks try to help, you should answer them.

HAGO, KEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Well, somehow, my post was removed, but it was up there right after you asked before anyone else answered. I said I had spent a good bit of time searching and had aksed two of my sources to find it. I called off the search as you skipped right over my post and on to Dooley's. Now, it isn't even here. So, one was on to it, but I told him it wasn't necessary anymore to stop tracing. When folks try to help, you should answer them.

HAGO, KEITH

Keith, your post wasn't removed. The topic about the Photoplay magazine had started over in the Train Robbers thread. Since it went off topic for that thread, some of the posts got moved over to here. I looked and saw that your reply was still in that thread. I can see how you thought your post was removed, but it wasn't. I hope this clears up the confusion some.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Thanks to Mark, we now have a Photoplay Duke cover,
    and it got me tho thinking that maybe someone has
    Duke on the covers of

FILM REVIEW
    Maurice Speed. (c1966)
    Film Review Magazine

PICTURE SHOW ANNUAL 1956
    PICTURE SHOW ANNUAL 1957

The Amalgamated Press. (1956/ 1957)

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Keith, your post wasn't removed. The topic about the Photoplay magazine had started over in the Train Robbers thread. Since it went off topic for that thread, some of the posts got moved over to here. I looked and saw that your reply was still in that thread. I can see how you thought your post was removed, but it wasn't. I hope this clears up the confusion some.

Mark

Thanks Mark. I knew it had been moved and checked the Train Robbers thread. Just must have missed it.

Also, thanks for letting me know you got the sketch. If you could post it on the Sketch thread with the comments, I would appreciate it. I was late getting yours and Russ' out and I want to make sure folks know they DID go out, LOL. You don't need to comment on it, just that you received it.
    I hope you really DO like it. You know I was very new at portraits. It IS unusual and think I will use that type of thing in more sketches. They kind of tell a little part of the story. The 20 page Shootist one is going to be very good, I think. I might even matte and frame that one myself!

Funny, only two folks from JWMB commented on my article.......You and Peter. Did better with the well known Western Bloggers...got three of them who said they had never known what I put in the article. One even changed his article on his blog with some corrections and additions I gave him and put an Editor's note on the end complimenting me for helping him....something like that. They have all talked me into doing my own blog. I had balked at it for so long, because I have enough to do already, but.......thought it might provide a few pages where , well, never mind.....thanks again for telling me.

Bill's pictures are awesome, aren't they? He told me they were just some he had lying around upstairs. The good ones are in boxes in the basement. My goodness....wonder what we have coming yet?

HAGO, KEITH

• Keith, I don't know why you fought having a blog. You have lots of stories and life lessons, so it should come easy to you. I hope you so and I wish you well with it.

Yes, I am enjoying Bill's, Dooleys and Lasbugas's pictures, posters and Lobby Cards. I sure am getting envious. We all are lucky to have them share their collections with us.

Mark

• Thanks to ebay, will these do?

Mark

• Have NO idea how that posted twice......new thing for me! I know they aren't the ones you wanted. But, it seems as if he wasn't on the cover in every year. Not sure, though......maybe just that site, and it is past my bedtime. KEITH

Thanks for this Keith.
    we did not have this magazine on our list,
    so here below is our new entry

PICTURE SHOW & FILM PICTORIAL
    (1942-twice/1949/1952/1955/1958)

Photo courtesy of Hawkswill

Duke featured (1942-twice/1949/1952/1955/1958)

Owned and published by Odhams press. It ran from the early 1910's to mid 1960.
    In 1939 it merged with Film Pictorial. The magazine went through a number of formats.
    The most collectable are from the beginning and end of the series.

Here is a link to the dedicated web-site, Duke's page

Picture Show & Film Pictorial

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Well, Keith, I am SO glad you could use one....thought you had to have certain years. Anyway, the link I gave you shows the ones that Duke was in just in case you want to add that into your thread. There were six total according to the article and it gives the dates and shows the covers with Duke. HAGO, KEITH

• Well, Keith, I am SO glad you could use one....thought you had to have certain years. Anyway, the link I gave you shows the ones that Duke was in just in case you want to add that into your thread. There were six total according to the article and it gives the dates and shows the covers with Duke. HAGO, KEITH

Thanks Keith, according to the web-site
    Duke was featured in the years 1942-twice/1949/1952/1955/1958.
    I only use the cover of one year.

He was also in Film Pictorial- 1939, before it amalgamated.
    Film Pictorial

I have also added the above to the thread

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 6 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Well, good, Keith, so it was 6 times....was too late to do a thorough search to make sure. Once again, so glad it helped. I like it much better this way and hope you do also. I wish you would comment on my article on Speakeasy. Even if you don't like it and reply negatively. It would mean a lot to me. After quite a few posts, it is still at the top of the list. Would love it if you would read the replies that a couple of the Western Bloggers made. Also, you might want to read Kristina's bio on Ward...it is excellent. I am correcting a few things for her and we will be putting out a kind of "addendum" to it shortly. Please reply on her article, and you could put Moderator JWMB on there with a link to it.....will be fine with Kristina....have told her all about it. http://hqofk.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/wagon-master/ Think on it, my "old" friend. Used to be...could be again. I would like that. KP Oh dear......now I have to wait until I see how it turns out.......

• I suppose everyone knows this, but I searched as well as I know how and didn't find it. Anyway, Toby at 50 WESTERNS FROM THE 50S
    https://fiftieswesterns.wordpr…and-the-man/#comment-4654

wrote this:
    John Wayne: The Legend And The Man.

November 26, 2012 by Toby

Coming next week (December 4) is a book that could very well be a must for folks who mosey through this blog: John Wayne: The Legend And The Man. Put together by John Wayne Enterprises, this estate-authorized book features photos and personal memorabilia from every part of Wayne’s incredible life and career. It also includes an essay by Patricia Bosworth, a foreword by Martin Scorsese, remembrances by Maureen O’Hara and Ronald Reagan and an interview with Ron Howard.

If you click on the "you can by it HERE", you will see a good many excerpts from the book. Yep, I would like one! KEITH

• I'm looking forward to reading this as well. And, there is another new one coming out next year called "John Wayne: The Genuine Article" by Michael Goldman. It is also authorized by Wayne Enterprises and Ethan Wayne wrote the preface for it. It is due to be released May 14, 2013. You can read more about here at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/John-Way…ine-Article/dp/1608871169

With the recent spate of crap books about John Wayne (either photocopied wikipedia pages, or the "let's tear down John Wayne" "deconstruction" books), it's nice to see some good books coming out about John Wayne.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Sounds like a great book cept for one thing--a forward by martin scorcese. I cant stand him and if I got a copy? i'd rip the forward out of it. I know I got into trouble once before by saying it but-ill say it again. I can't stand anti-American Americans. >:-(( also:: //:<=(

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Edited once, last by The Ringo Kid ().