Books on Duke

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.
       

    There are 134 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by may2.

    • Re: The Train Robbers (1973)

      LOL, Larry, I tried to find it for her.....thought I was pretty good at searching. But drew a blank here! Did ask a couple of my sources if they would try checking it out though. KEITH

      lasbugas wrote:

      I did not cover this photoplay not the date but it should be easy to find on the Web.
      God, she reminds me of me! DUKE
    • Re: The Train Robbers (1973)

      Lasbugas -- I had already tried to find this Photoplay on ebay but without any luck. I'm not sure what you mean by "I did not cover this Photoplay" but if there is any additional information you can give me as to what issue this came from I would greatly appreciate it. That would help me find a copy for my collection.
    • Re: The Train Robbers (1973)

      Not that it's much help but these are the Photoplay magazines Duke was in during that period.

      August 1976
      August 1975
      August 1974
      February 1974
      Film Yearbook - 1973
      December 1973
      November 1973
      May 1973
      December 1972
      August 1972
      February 1971
      July 1970
      May 1970
      March 1970

      The Yearbook could be the one as none of the others seem to mention The Train Robbers on the cover which is strange. Hope you track it down!
      "Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"
    • Re: The Train Robbers (1973)

      Thanks, Dooley! I will work on it and hopefully I can find the magazine as I try to get my hands on anything Ben is in. ;) Though sometimes I just don't have enough money... anyone want to front me $9,000 plus for this print? :)

      ebay.com/itm/Ben-Johnson-Singi…rints&hash=item4abe37589d
    • Re: The Train Robbers (1973)

      Dooley wrote:

      Not that it's much help but these are the Photoplay magazines Duke was in during that period.

      August 1976
      August 1975
      August 1974
      February 1974
      Film Yearbook - 1973
      December 1973
      November 1973
      May 1973
      December 1972
      August 1972
      February 1971
      July 1970
      May 1970
      March 1970

      The Yearbook could be the one as none of the others seem to mention The Train Robbers on the cover which is strange. Hope you track it down!

      Peter thanks for this information, as we didn't have Photoplay profiled.
      I have now updated
      Duke's Movie Books- Part 3

      PHOTOPLAY


      Duke Cover not available

      Photoplay was one of the first American film fan magazines.
      It was founded in 1911 in Chicago, the same year that J. Stuart Blackton founded a similar magazine
      entitled Motion Picture Story. For most of its life, it was published by Macfadden Publications.

      Photoplay merged with another fan magazine, Movie Mirror, in 1941;
      and with TV-Radio Mirror in 1977, when the name became Photoplay and TV Mirror.
      The magazine ceased publication in 1980 and its staff were moved to Us magazine.

      A British version of Photoplay debuted in 1950, featuring an equal mix of
      American and British films and stars, and ceased publication in 1989.
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

      The post was edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

    • Re: The Train Robbers (1973)

      dukefan1 wrote:

      Here's a copy of Photoplay with Duke on it you can use, Keith.

      Mark

      Fantastic Mark, just what I required, I have re-edited the thread accordingly.
      Duke's Movie Books


      PHOTOPLAY


      July 1979. Photo courtesy of dukefan1

      Photoplay was one of the first American film fan magazines.
      It was founded in 1911 in Chicago, the same year that J. Stuart Blackton founded a similar magazine
      entitled Motion Picture Story. For most of its life, it was published by Macfadden Publications.

      Photoplay merged with another fan magazine, Movie Mirror, in 1941;
      and with TV-Radio Mirror in 1977, when the name became Photoplay and TV Mirror.
      The magazine ceased publication in 1980 and its staff were moved to Us magazine.

      A British version of Photoplay debuted in 1950, featuring an equal mix of
      American and British films and stars, and ceased publication in 1989.

      Duke was featured

      July 1979
      August 1976
      August 1975
      August 1974
      February 1974
      Film Yearbook - 1973
      December 1973
      November 1973
      May 1973
      December 1972
      August 1972
      February 1971
      July 1970
      May 1970
      March 1970
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

      The post was edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().

    • Re: The Train Robbers (1973)

      Paula wrote:

      Thanks, Dooley! I will work on it and hopefully I can find the magazine as I try to get my hands on anything Ben is in. ;) Though sometimes I just don't have enough money... anyone want to front me $9,000 plus for this print? :)

      ebay.com/itm/Ben-Johnson-Singi…rints&hash=item4abe37589d


      Well, somehow, my post was removed, but it was up there right after you asked before anyone else answered. I said I had spent a good bit of time searching and had aksed two of my sources to find it. I called off the search as you skipped right over my post and on to Dooley's. Now, it isn't even here. So, one was on to it, but I told him it wasn't necessary anymore to stop tracing. When folks try to help, you should answer them.

      HAGO, KEITH
      God, she reminds me of me! DUKE
    • Re: The Train Robbers (1973)

      Hawkswill wrote:

      Well, somehow, my post was removed, but it was up there right after you asked before anyone else answered. I said I had spent a good bit of time searching and had aksed two of my sources to find it. I called off the search as you skipped right over my post and on to Dooley's. Now, it isn't even here. So, one was on to it, but I told him it wasn't necessary anymore to stop tracing. When folks try to help, you should answer them.

      HAGO, KEITH


      Keith, your post wasn't removed. The topic about the Photoplay magazine had started over in the Train Robbers thread. Since it went off topic for that thread, some of the posts got moved over to here. I looked and saw that your reply was still in that thread. I can see how you thought your post was removed, but it wasn't. I hope this clears up the confusion some.

      Mark
      "I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "
    • Re: Duke's Books- Discussion

      Thanks to Mark, we now have a Photoplay Duke cover,
      and it got me tho thinking that maybe someone has
      Duke on the covers of

      FILM REVIEW
      Maurice Speed. (c1966)
      Film Review Magazine

      PICTURE SHOW ANNUAL 1956
      PICTURE SHOW ANNUAL 1957

      The Amalgamated Press. (1956/ 1957)
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • Re: The Train Robbers (1973)

      dukefan1 wrote:

      Keith, your post wasn't removed. The topic about the Photoplay magazine had started over in the Train Robbers thread. Since it went off topic for that thread, some of the posts got moved over to here. I looked and saw that your reply was still in that thread. I can see how you thought your post was removed, but it wasn't. I hope this clears up the confusion some.

      Mark
      Thanks Mark. I knew it had been moved and checked the Train Robbers thread. Just must have missed it.

      Also, thanks for letting me know you got the sketch. If you could post it on the Sketch thread with the comments, I would appreciate it. I was late getting yours and Russ' out and I want to make sure folks know they DID go out, LOL. You don't need to comment on it, just that you received it.
      I hope you really DO like it. You know I was very new at portraits. It IS unusual and think I will use that type of thing in more sketches. They kind of tell a little part of the story. The 20 page Shootist one is going to be very good, I think. I might even matte and frame that one myself!

      Funny, only two folks from JWMB commented on my article.......You and Peter. Did better with the well known Western Bloggers...got three of them who said they had never known what I put in the article. One even changed his article on his blog with some corrections and additions I gave him and put an Editor's note on the end complimenting me for helping him....something like that. They have all talked me into doing my own blog. I had balked at it for so long, because I have enough to do already, but.......thought it might provide a few pages where , well, never mind.....thanks again for telling me.

      Bill's pictures are awesome, aren't they? He told me they were just some he had lying around upstairs. The good ones are in boxes in the basement. My goodness....wonder what we have coming yet?

      HAGO, KEITH
      God, she reminds me of me! DUKE
    • Re: Duke's Books- Discussion

      Keith, I don't know why you fought having a blog. You have lots of stories and life lessons, so it should come easy to you. I hope you so and I wish you well with it.

      Yes, I am enjoying Bill's, Dooleys and Lasbugas's pictures, posters and Lobby Cards. I sure am getting envious. We all are lucky to have them share their collections with us.

      Mark
      "I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "
    • Re: Duke's Books- Discussion

      ethanedwards wrote:

      Thanks to Mark, we now have a Photoplay Duke cover,
      and it got me tho thinking that maybe someone has
      Duke on the covers of

      FILM REVIEW
      Maurice Speed. (c1966)
      Film Review Magazine

      PICTURE SHOW ANNUAL 1956
      PICTURE SHOW ANNUAL 1957

      The Amalgamated Press. (1956/ 1957)


      Thanks to ebay, will these do?

      1956


      1957


      Mark
      "I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "