Books on Duke

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 134 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by may2.

• Re: Duke's Books- Discussion

Hawkswill wrote:

Have NO idea how that posted twice......new thing for me! I know they aren't the ones you wanted. But, it seems as if he wasn't on the cover in every year. Not sure, though......maybe just that site, and it is past my bedtime. KEITH

Thanks for this Keith.
      we did not have this magazine on our list,
      so here below is our new entry

PICTURE SHOW & FILM PICTORIAL
      (1942-twice/1949/1952/1955/1958)

Photo courtesy of Hawkswill

Duke featured (1942-twice/1949/1952/1955/1958)

Owned and published by Odhams press. It ran from the early 1910's to mid 1960.
      In 1939 it merged with Film Pictorial. The magazine went through a number of formats.
      The most collectable are from the beginning and end of the series.

Here is a link to the dedicated web-site, Duke's page

Picture Show & Film Pictorial
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

Well, Keith, I am SO glad you could use one....thought you had to have certain years. Anyway, the link I gave you shows the ones that Duke was in just in case you want to add that into your thread. There were six total according to the article and it gives the dates and shows the covers with Duke. HAGO, KEITH
      God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

Hawkswill wrote:

Well, Keith, I am SO glad you could use one....thought you had to have certain years. Anyway, the link I gave you shows the ones that Duke was in just in case you want to add that into your thread. There were six total according to the article and it gives the dates and shows the covers with Duke. HAGO, KEITH

Thanks Keith, according to the web-site
      Duke was featured in the years 1942-twice/1949/1952/1955/1958.
      I only use the cover of one year.

He was also in Film Pictorial- 1939, before it amalgamated.
      Film Pictorial

I have also added the above to the thread
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 6 times, last by ethanedwards ().

Well, good, Keith, so it was 6 times....was too late to do a thorough search to make sure. Once again, so glad it helped. I like it much better this way and hope you do also. I wish you would comment on my article on Speakeasy. Even if you don't like it and reply negatively. It would mean a lot to me. After quite a few posts, it is still at the top of the list. Would love it if you would read the replies that a couple of the Western Bloggers made. Also, you might want to read Kristina's bio on Ward...it is excellent. I am correcting a few things for her and we will be putting out a kind of "addendum" to it shortly. Please reply on her article, and you could put Moderator JWMB on there with a link to it.....will be fine with Kristina....have told her all about it. hqofk.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/wagon-master/ Think on it, my "old" friend. Used to be...could be again. I would like that. KP Oh dear......now I have to wait until I see how it turns out.......
    • New Duke book

I suppose everyone knows this, but I searched as well as I know how and didn't find it. Anyway, Toby at 50 WESTERNS FROM THE 50S
      fiftieswesterns.wordpress.com/…and-the-man/#comment-4654

wrote this:
      John Wayne: The Legend And The Man.

November 26, 2012 by Toby

Coming next week (December 4) is a book that could very well be a must for folks who mosey through this blog: John Wayne: The Legend And The Man. Put together by John Wayne Enterprises, this estate-authorized book features photos and personal memorabilia from every part of Wayne’s incredible life and career. It also includes an essay by Patricia Bosworth, a foreword by Martin Scorsese, remembrances by Maureen O’Hara and Ronald Reagan and an interview with Ron Howard.

If you click on the "you can by it HERE", you will see a good many excerpts from the book. Yep, I would like one! KEITH
    • Re: New Duke book

Hawkswill wrote:

I suppose everyone knows this, but I searched as well as I know how and didn't find it. Anyway, Toby at 50 WESTERNS FROM THE 50S

wrote this:

Coming next week (December 4) is a book that could very well be a must for folks who mosey through this blog: John Wayne: The Legend And The Man. Put together by John Wayne Enterprises, this estate-authorized book features photos and personal memorabilia from every part of Wayne’s incredible life and career. It also includes an essay by Patricia Bosworth, a foreword by Martin Scorsese, remembrances by Maureen O’Hara and Ronald Reagan and an interview with Ron Howard.

If you click on the "you can by it HERE", you will see a good many excerpts from the book. Yep, I would like one! KEITH

I'm looking forward to reading this as well. And, there is another new one coming out next year called "John Wayne: The Genuine Article" by Michael Goldman. It is also authorized by Wayne Enterprises and Ethan Wayne wrote the preface for it. It is due to be released May 14, 2013. You can read more about here at Amazon: amazon.com/John-Wayne-The-Genuine-Article/dp/1608871169

With the recent spate of crap books about John Wayne (either photocopied wikipedia pages, or the "let's tear down John Wayne" "deconstruction" books), it's nice to see some good books coming out about John Wayne.
      "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

Hawkswill wrote:

wrote this:

Sounds like a great book cept for one thing--a forward by martin scorcese. I cant stand him and if I got a copy? i'd rip the forward out of it. I know I got into trouble once before by saying it but-ill say it again. I can't stand anti-American Americans. >:-(( also:: //:<=(
      Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

The post was edited 1 time, last by The Ringo Kid ().

Colorado Bob wrote:

I'm looking forward to reading this as well. And, there is another new one coming out next year called "John Wayne: The Genuine Article" by Michael Goldman. It is also authorized by Wayne Enterprises and Ethan Wayne wrote the preface for it. It is due to be released May 14, 2013. You can read more about here at Amazon: amazon.com/John-Wayne-The-Genuine-Article/dp/1608871169

With the recent spate of crap books about John Wayne (either photocopied wikipedia pages, or the "let's tear down John Wayne" "deconstruction" books), it's nice to see some good books coming out about John Wayne.

Ill look forward to this one--especially since it comes out 3 days after I turn 46.

Oh and: Hi Bob--long time no see and hear ;-))

The Ringo Kid wrote:

Ill look forward to this one--especially since it comes out 3 days after I turn 46.

Oh and: Hi Bob--long time no see and hear ;-))

Howdy Carl!
      "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

Colorado Bob wrote:

Howdy Carl!

Hoping your Thanksgiving was the best and hoping your Christmas is even better. Mine will be since I have a "newly baked fresh from the oven--brand new Great Nephew" to look forward to seeing ;-))

Oh and, I still have all my Sgt, Rocks, Sgt. Fury's and some G.I. Combats--ill look when possible and see if I have any extra copies of any? and if so? willl be glad to give them to you. Most of the ones i have arent in mint--I read and reread them many times. Havent looked at them in about 20 years.

The Ringo Kid wrote:

Hoping your Thanksgiving was the best and hoping your Christmas is even better. Mine will be since I have a "newly baked fresh from the oven--brand new Great Nephew" to look forward to seeing ;-))

Oh and, I still have all my Sgt, Rocks, Sgt. Fury's and some G.I. Combats--ill look when possible and see if I have any extra copies of any? and if so? willl be glad to give them to you. Most of the ones i have arent in mint--I read and reread them many times. Havent looked at them in about 20 years.

Thanks Carl. I was a big Sgt. Rock fan back then. And I had a bunch of Big Little Books of the Lone Ranger and what not - all westerns. I don't know whatever happened to all of them, but I wish I had them all now! Those BLB's would be worth a small fortune!

Martin Scorsese is an incredibly perceptive writer and thinker about film. I have not liked every movie he's made but some I have loved. I will always hold a warm place in my heart for him for his tireless work in promoting and restoring the films of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, two of my favorite filmmakers. (I do not understand his obsession with Leonardo DiCaprio, who has the same effect on me as fingernails down a blackboard.)

The films of John Ford and John Wayne the actor have been huge influences on Scorsese since he was a boy. The Searchers is on the list of Scorsese's top ten best American films, and the screenplay for Taxi Driver (written by Paul Schrader) was inspired in part by The Searchers. Wayne is on the cover of Scorsese's book A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies (a companion volume to a documentary).

What exactly makes Scorsese anti-American? Specific examples or analysis please, not just "he's a liberal" or his movies are "violent."