Hockey a love hate relationship

There are 20 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 8,138 times. The latest Post () was by kilo 6.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hello Sports Fans I know that Hockey is known to many nations and wonder about members views on this game.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Being from the south (Alabama), hockey is not big here and anything on ice is not understandable to me. I haven't ice skating in over 30 years (if you call what I did ice skating). So, I have been to one hockey game and it was absolutely boring to me. I sat in the nose bleed section, and didn't like it at all, so my interest in this sport is zero. Sorry, to not make this a positive one.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Well Murray hockey here in the Philly area with the Flyers have always been big here. The only problem is their playing has been colder then the ice they skate on.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• I live in Detroit and hockey is my absolute favorite sport. If there's a game on every night, I would be watching. It helps having a good team like we have in the Red Wings, who have been probably the best team in the last 15 years. They've won the big prize, the Stanley Cup, 4 times in that time period and been to the Cup final two other times. But my fandom goes back even farther when they were so bad, they were called the Dead Wings, Dead Things and any other term that was thought of. This year, they've been struggling some but, they've also lost about 6 of their top players to injury. But they're also, trying to bring in some younger players to blend with the veterans and with the long playoff runs the last three years, they've probably played more hockey than anyone else and could be a little burned out.
    Hondo, to bad you don't try and go to more games and sit closer to the ice. It might get your interest going a little. It's hard to get in the game and atmosphere when you're sitting way up in the arena.

• Being a Minnesotan I grew up playing hockey, outdoors!! Always pay attention to the sport and was very sad when our beloved North Stars were hijacked by Norm Green and he went to Dallas, it's all about the money because I don't get Dallas, TX and hockey. Then the Wild show back up and it's been a down and up year this year, they started slow, new coach, and they are playing much better as of late. Now that the Vikes look like they maybe done as a viable playoff team I am sure I will be back to watching more and more hockey. I also watch college hockey but the U of Minnesota is having a tough year, lots of kids leave college early for the money.

GO WILD!!! From "The State of Hockey" Minnesota!!!

We were raised
    With the stick
    And a pair of blades
    On the ice we cut our teeth
    We took our knocks
    In the penalty box
    Our mother was the referee

This sport was here
    Before we came
    It will be here when we're gone
    The game's in our blood
    And our blood's in the game
    Lay us down under
    A frozen pond

We will fight to the end
    We will stand and defend
    Our flag flying high and free
    We were born the child
    Of the strong and Wild
    In the State, the State of Hockey

A big blue line runs around our state
    A line that can't be crossed
    The day they try to take this game
    Is the day the gloves come off

We will fight to the end
    We will stand and defend
    Our flag flying high and free
    We were born the child
    Of the strong and Wild
    In the State, the State of Hockey.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I never thought much about golf until I tried with another rank amateur. After a fun 18 holes I felt that now & then I could enjoy this if playing with the right people. Now watching hockey and playing golf are not the same thing but I have to ask did you ever play street hockey with a tennis ball? I would wish that you have the time to get a 1/2 dozen friends and borrow two nets and play two periods. Have beer after in some comfort and think about the game and then if it works for you talk about the game, because it's not the same for all players. Or not and just try to consider that for some Hockey was their pride. It can be such a good time and it can bite at times.

• I played all types of hockey growing up. We played with inline skates and then just tennis shoes in the street. Played at outside rinks when it was 10 degrees and then at the inside rinks once I was alittle older. Brings back lots of memories. Haven't laced up a pair in over 25 years though.....

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I never thought much about golf until I tried with another rank amateur. After a fun 18 holes I felt that now & then I could enjoy this if playing with the right people. Now watching hockey and playing golf are not the same thing but I have to ask did you ever play street hockey with a tennis ball? I would wish that you have the time to get a 1/2 dozen friends and borrow two nets and play two periods. Have beer after in some comfort and think about the game and then if it works for you talk about the game, because it's not the same for all players. Or not and just try to consider that for some Hockey was their pride. It can be such a good time and it can bite at times.

I think there is one very huge similiarity between hockey and golf. And that;s the fact that both sports call for using a club or stick to hit a small object. Have you noticed how many hockey players play golf? A great many of them and I would bet that they are pretty good at it. Alot of the same motion involved in swinging a golf club and a hockey stick.

• I think there is one very huge similiarity between hockey and golf. And that;s the fact that both sports call for using a club or stick to hit a small object. Have you noticed how many hockey players play golf? A great many of them and I would bet that they are pretty good at it. Alot of the same motion involved in swinging a golf club and a hockey stick.

Have you seen Happy Gilmore?

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Any time it takes 3+ hours to play a 1 hour game is 3 hours wasted. I used to like hockey when the Canadian teams were Canadians and the US teams were Americans. Once they started bringing in the European imports that finished me. Plus I couldn't be bothered to sit for 3 hours.

• Any time it takes 3+ hours to play a 1 hour game is 3 hours wasted. I used to like hockey when the Canadian teams were Canadians and the US teams were Americans. Once they started bringing in the European imports that finished me. Plus I couldn't be bothered to sit for 3 hours.

Well, you could say the same exact thing about football and basketball. They are also 60 minute games that take 2 1/2 to 3 hrs to play.

Hockey got ruined by all those politically correct morons who never played or understood the game. The Europeans didn't effect the game, but in many ways made it better. I played against AHL level players and top US college and the Euro style changed the way the NHL played.
    The PC morons changed the Pee Wee, High School and Amateur players rules so that no one gets hurt physically or emotionally. I played a HS reunion game and in the first two minutes was in the penalty box.
    I like good hockey, and coached HS for awhile. Nothing like teaching a player a good hip check.

• well folks how about the Vancouver Canucks. Four decades and no Stanley cup. Who wants to wager. I will bet ten posts in 30 days after the cup is won by someone else against any member who will pledge the same. You do not have to bet on a team from your country. Go Canucks !!!!

• Sports Fans the final reg season games are ever fewer. The Canucks are playing reasonably well. Could it be that 2011 will bring, dare I whisper it, better not. But we will see how fares the west Coast team.

• Hello All 109 points in the NHL. Canucks sustain injuries and fan support and persevere. Many are beginning to hope cynics are praying, The question all are asking - is this, after 40 attempts at the Stanley Cup, going to be our year. In the 6 or so games remaining I will be watching. I don't own a team sweater that fits but I will watch and support the team. Why not Canadians invented Hockey.

• I'm a Red Wing fan but, I have to admit that the Canucks have a good chance this year. Going by Red Wing history from the 90's, the Wings were Cup favorites starting in 1993 but, didn't win it till 4 yrs later, in 97. Sometimes it takes a few season to learn what you have to to win. The Canucks will probably win the Presidents Trophy for first place overall but, there's not too many teams that win that and the Cup in the same year. I think the Wings have as good a chance as the Canucks but, it depends on how healthy they are and if Jimmy Howard stands out in goal. But, the Sharks are playing pretty good right now as is, Nashville and in the East, you have to watch Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington and, Boston. But, there's always a dark horse who comes creeping out of nowhere to throw a monkey wrench in a higher ranked teams quest. And you guys better hope that Chicago either doesn't make it in or if they do, you don't have to play them. They've had your number the last two years and they could do it again this year.

• Without sounding too bias I will share that I respect the regular season the Canucks have had this year. 4 more games and the playoff begins. Reg players are seeing some added bench time so as to rest for the marathon that approaches. There are a few eyes on the Canucks this year. Some believe the end result will be disappointing. I say that if you enjoy a game then there is more to that enjoyment then winning which is great but it is in the trying that we reach for glory. Courage is in the trying not the winning.

• Hello All well the Canucks survived the first series but it was no cake walk. First they won three then they lost three then took game 7 in overtime.
    In their second series they have won two games to Nashville's one and game four is tonight. No one is feeling confident of the outcome but many are hopeful. We'll have to see how it goes.