Pinned Duke's Epitaph & Grave

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 23 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by MattieSue.

• Duke's Epitaph & Grave

Hi all
      The anniversary of his death (June 11) has approached.
      What is his epitaph?
      Is there a person who does visiting his grave actual and has read the epitaph?

regards,
      Taka
      Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
      ~Steve McQueen~
    • Re: Duke's epitaph

H.sanada wrote:

Is there a person who does visiting his grave actual and has read the epitaph?

Yes, Taka, I've visited his grave, together with my wife, my youngest son and his family. My wife was bitterly disappointed as she was expecting a huge, impressive mausoleum and there's only a small bronze plate to mark his final resting place. Somewhere on this board there used to be a picture of that plate - don't know if it's still here. I imagine Bill can post a picture of the plate.
      De gustibus non est disputandum

Hello Taka,

For years, there was no marker on Duke's grave. The family feared grave robbers or vandals. But they finally put a plaque atop his resting place that has a picture of him riding in the west with a fort in the background. The epitaph reads:

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it put's itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.

John Wayne
      1907 - 1979

This is a quote he said in an interview for PLayboy in 1971. A very touching quote. If you want to see what the plaque looks like, just Google John Wayne's Grave, and you will see some pictures of it.

Take care,

Mark
      "I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

Stumpy,Mark,Bill,
      I'd like to very thank you for taking the time to respond to
      my tenderfoot asking.

Duke's grave looks to be very simple.
      But, this seemed surely him,that it is good,i thougt.

regards,
      Taka
      Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
      ~Steve McQueen~

I have been to the grave site it rest on the side of the hill.Very respectful. My father passed away this year at age 83 on june 11th at 6:30pm. Thats thirty years to the day almost to the minute Duke passed away. He is the reason Iam the Duke fan i became.
      ''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''
    • Re: Duke's Epitaph & Grave

I think that the plaque is in keeping with his personality, he wasn't worried about putting on airs.

It is really nice.
      Ben Cartwright SASS
      a good motto to live by
      "WWJWD"
      What would John Wayne Do"

Ben Cartwright SASS wrote:

he wasn't worried about putting on airs.

Funny you should say that. A few years ago the wife and I flew to San Diego to visit our younger son and his family. He asked us what we'd like to do while in California. I said that if nothing else, we wanted to visit the Duke's burial site so one day, we all piled in his van and drove to the cemetery where he's buried. I had printed the instructions for finding the exact spot from the internet but when we got there, my wife was expecting a big, elaborate mausoleum, in keeping with the Duke's status.

Imagine her huge surprise and disappointment when all she saw was that (relatively) insignificant bronze plaque. :no:
      De gustibus non est disputandum

I don't really know if Duke wanted anything special, but his wishes were to be cremated, but Michael wanted his father buried and did so with none of Pilar's children knowing anything about it. They wanted to abide to their father's wishes. Michael wanted this done due to his catholic beliefs.

Initially, his burial was secret due to grave robbers, and a marker was placed away from Duke's actual resting place, but later reveled with his current plaque. That is the information taken from several books about his life.

Knowing Duke, he just wanted something simple and nothing big.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"
      - John Wayne quote