Pinned Duke's Epitaph & Grave

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 23 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by MattieSue.

• Re: "True Grit" : The Remake !!!

I read somewhere that it took 20 years for John Wayne to get a grave marker does anyone know why? even the one he has know seems pretty unremarkable for the man i think he was!!!!
    • Re: Duke's Epitaph & Grave

moorecc wrote:

I read somewhere that it took 20 years for John Wayne to get a grave marker does anyone know why? even the one he has know seems pretty unremarkable for the man i think he was!!!!

Lt. Brannigan wrote:

Mostly I believe that he didn't have a headstone, so as to keep people from desecrating his grave.

And as for why it's not fancy, Duke never really stuck me as a flashy type of guy.

may2 wrote:

They didn't put a marker on to keep it private and avoid vandals.

I've moved the above posts from the "True Grit - Remake" thread to this one (for obvious reasons). Thanks to Lt. B and may2 for so kindly responding to moorecc's question!

Chester :newyear:
    • Re: Duke's Epitaph & Grave

Chester, Lt B, May2 thank you for getting me to the right place i am very new to forums and still having trouble having a little trouble navigating.

I do agree that the Duke probably would not have wanted anything fancy my own father did not either when he found out he had cancer and was going to die but we gave it to him anyway!!! As my father was so do i think John Wayne was a great man and I under stand why they waited so long to mark his grave and i have not been there yet but it seams like a cemetery for regular people like me the duke may not have seen himself as anyone better then anyone else but lets face it he IS!!! I would have liked something for him a little bigger maybe not flashy but bigger and more private a place for him and his family I think its important to be laid to rest with family my final resting place is already taken care of right in front of my dad. Not sure what to say about not following his wishes about being cremated i personally have no religious beliefs on it i just don't like the idea of burning if im meant to burn God will take care of those arrangements.

I went to a funeral yesterday in the same Catholic Church that held John Wayne's funeral. Our Lady Queen of Angles in Newport Beach. The young man was also laid to rest just yards from John Wayne in Pacific View Cemetery. Very sad day.

Most likely the reason it was unmarked for several yrs. was that the family worried the grave would be disturbed by vandals. The last time I was there the officials wouldn't tell me where it was located however, I did find it using pictures from his daughter's book. As I remember most all the graves in that section have ground level markers. You know he wanted to be cremated and his ashes scattered over the ocean but, the family didn't want that. His grave does look over the ocean and I think he would have liked that. I think the family did the best thing.

Big Iron