Harris Poll 2010 - Favorite Actor - Duke STILL in Top Ten!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 27 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by patrick55.

• Re: Harris Poll 2010 - Favorite Actor - Duke STILL in Top Ten!

Polls can be like statistics, they can be manipulated, be misleading, or not representative of the entire population. A group of older people who were brought up on western films will give a very different result compared with a group of 20-year olds.

We need to give the young 'uns the 'Elly treatment'. When still babies put them in their chairs in front of a Duke movie.

Bob

A true testament to his endurance as an artist - yes, an an artist. From the late 40's on...Ford called JW the best actor in Hollywood. He WAS the most bankable star for many years - bar none. The movie-going public simply ADORED him, no matter what the "intelligencia" of any period thought. He was a good person, he thought for himself, he was a VERY good business man, sometimes too trusting :), but cared about those who came to see his movies. Add to this that he had incredible range as an actor, and THIS is why he's always been on the list.

"...Add to this that he had incredible range as an actor, and THIS is why he's always been on the list."

Thanks for pointing the above. Nearly every critic says that Duke had no range. It's true he played a basic type, but within that type he did have incredible range.

The hero with a thousand faces.

I have been looking more closely at Duke's performances in his movies. No one can tell me that he's not a great actor. He has more nuances and expression in his deliveries than most so-called great actors. In a comparison with today's big stars, Duke wins hands down.
      Cheers - Jay:beer:
      "Not hardly!!!"

firstrebel wrote:

We need to give the young 'uns the 'Elly treatment'. When still babies put them in their chairs in front of a Duke movie.

Bob

My daughter inherited my love for Duke, as I inherited it from my mother. Now my daughter's children have inherited it from her. They (one girl 16 and one boy 14) watch a JW movie at least a couple of times a week. The beat goes on...........
      De gustibus non est disputandum

The post was edited 1 time, last by Stumpy ().

You have that one nailed, Jay. The notion that Duke "didn't have any range" as an actor is held mostly by people who've never seen him act much. In fact, he played a multitude of different characters with range and depth.

I LOVE the fact that the Duke remains so relevant in popularity among celebrities, and film fans alike. It's a true testament to not only the man's ability as a actor and movie star, but also as a person who could emotionally connect with audiences.

Something that's very rare these days. Sad to say.

The poll results are indicative of the major amount of people in America, who are not politically savvy, want sound bite news, and rate a movie for its visual "wow" appeal only. They list people like Jolie, Depp, Clooney and Roberts and leave out people like Katherine Hepburn, Bogart, James Stewart and Emma Thompson. I wanted to throw up in my mouth.

The only people on there who could even be considered actors are Wayne, Ford, and Hanks. Its unfortunate what passes for a movie nowadays... from a writer's perspective of course.

Deen Macheen wrote:

The poll results are indicative of the major amount of people in America, who are not politically savvy, want sound bite news, and rate a movie for its visual "wow" appeal only. They list people like Jolie, Depp, Clooney and Roberts and leave out people like Katherine Hepburn, Bogart, James Stewart and Emma Thompson. I wanted to throw up in my mouth.

The only people on there who could even be considered actors are Wayne, Ford, and Hanks. Its unfortunate what passes for a movie nowadays... from a writer's perspective of course.

All such polls nowadays are seriously impacted by that old bugaboo, the generation gap.
      De gustibus non est disputandum