Sitting Bull

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

    • Sitting Bull


      c. 1831
      Grand River, South Dakota

      December 15, 1890 (aged 59)
      Grand River, Standing Rock Indian Reservation

      Cause of Death
      Shot by Indian Police

      Resting place
      South Dakota


      Native name
      Tȟatȟaŋka Iyotȟaŋka (born Hoka Psice)
      Known for
      Battle of Little Big Horn, resistance to USA

      Religious beliefs

      Parents Jumping Bull (father)
      Her-Holy-Door (mother)
      Relatives- Big Foot (half brother)
      White Bull (nephew)

      Light Hair,Four Robes,
      Snow-on-Her, Seen-by-her-Nation
      Scarlet Woman

      One Bull (adopted son)
      Crow Foot (son)
      Many Horses (daughter)
      Walks Looking (daughter)
      (adopted daughter)

      Warrior, Chief

      Full-Biography-Sitting Bull- wikipedia

      Sitting Bull, the son of Four Horn, and a member of the Sioux tribe,
      was born on Grand River South Dakota, in March, 1834.
      Originally named "Jumping Badger" as a child, after killing his first bison
      when not yet 20, he was given his father's name.
      It was common for Lakota men to receive another name as they passed into adulthood
      He hunted at a young age and at 14 took part in a raid on the Crows.

      A highly successful warrior, Sitting Bull led a war party against
      Fort Buford on 24th December, 1866.
      As well as attacking army patrols Sitting Bull's warriors waged
      war against the Crow and Shoshone.

      In December, 1875 the Commissioner of Indian Affairs
      directed all Sioux bands to enter reservations
      by the end of January 1876.
      Sitting Bull, now a medicine man and spiritual leader of his people,
      refused to leave his hunting grounds.
      Crazy Horse agreed and led his warriors north to join up with Sitting Bull.

      In June 1876 Sitting Bull subjected himself to a sun dance.
      This ritual included fasting and self-torture.
      During the sun dance Sitting Bull saw a vision of a large number
      of white soldiers falling from the sky upside down.
      As a result of this vision he predicted that his people were
      about to enjoy a great victory.

      On 17th June 1876, General George Crook and about 1,000 troops,
      supported by 300 Crow and Shoshone, fought against
      1,500 members of the Sioux and Cheyenne tribes.
      The battle at Rosebud Creek lasted for over six hours.
      This was the first time that Native Americans had
      united together to fight in such large numbers.

      General George A. Custer and 655 men were sent out
      to locate the villages of the Sioux and Cheyenne involved
      in the battle at Rosebud Creek.
      An encampment was discovered on the 25th June.
      It was estimated that it contained about 10,000 men,
      women and children. Custer assumed the numbers
      were much less than that and instead of waiting for the main army
      under General Alfred Terry to arrive, he decided to attack
      the encampment straight away.

      Custer divided his men into three groups.
      Captain Frederick Benteen was ordered to explore a range
      of hills five miles from the village.
      Major Marcus Reno was to attack the encampment from the upper end
      whereas Custer decided to strike further downstream.

      Little Bighorn battlefield

      Reno soon discovered he was outnumbered and retreated to the river.
      He was later joined by Benteen and his men.
      Custer continued his attack but was easily
      defeated by about 4,000 warriors.
      At the battle of the Little Bighorn Custer and all his 264 men were killed.
      The soldiers under Reno and Benteen were also attacked and 47
      of them were killed before they were rescued by the arrival
      of General Alfred Terry and his army.

      The U.S. army now responded by increasing the
      number of the soldiers in the area.
      As a result Sitting Bull and his men fled to Canada,
      whereas Crazy Horse and his followers surrendered
      to General George Crook at the Red Cloud Agency in Nebraska.
      Crazy Horse was later killed while being held in custody at Fort Robinson.

      Sitting Bull in Pierre, South Dakota
      on his way to Standing Rock
      Agency from Fort Randall

      Sitting Bull was offered an amnesty by the American authorities
      and in 1881 he agreed to return to Fort Randall, South Dakota,
      but continued to reject the proposal to sell Sioux lands
      to the United States government.

      In June 1885, Sitting Bull agreed to appear with the Wild West Show
      run by Buffalo Bill Cody.
      He was paid $50 a week and also received money
      for selling signed photographs of himself.

      In 1888 Sitting Bull rejected a new offer to sell Sioux land.
      The American government became increasingly frustrated
      by Sitting Bull's refusal to negotiate a deal and orders
      were given for his arrest.
      On 15th December, 1890, Sitting Bull was killed while being arrested.
      His son Crow Foot and other followers also lost their lives during this operation.

      Sitting Bull's grave at Fort Yates, ca. 1906..........Sitting Bull's other alleged grave, Mobridge, ...................................................................South Dakota, 2003

      Edited and Compiled by ethanedwards
      With Information and Photographs from
      Spartucus Educationaland wikipedia
      Best Wishes
      London- England

      The post was edited 8 times, last by ethanedwards ().