John Wayne Costumes

There are 29 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 17,222 times. The latest Post () was by luckyduke.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• A friend of mine has two costumes that John Wayne wore, one in True Grit and the other in The Undefeated. The True Grit costume is a shirt, leather vest and a kerchief and the Undefeated one is a calvary coat. He is looking to sell them and I told him that I would try to help. The are not cheep so if anybody is interested please send me a personal message and I will let you kno the price.
    Thanks.

• Yes Bill.
    I am, observing these posts!
    Your posts are both inflammatory and off-topic.
    May I suggest you post your thoughts about the costumes,
    and on the other thread, what you think about the photo.
    I am sure our members would rather have your positive input.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• A friend of mine has two costumes that John Wayne wore, one in True Grit and the other in The Undefeated. The True Grit costume is a shirt, leather vest and a kerchief and the Undefeated one is a calvary coat. He is looking to sell them and I told him that I would try to help. The are not cheep so if anybody is interested please send me a personal message and I will let you kno the price.

Any of our members have anything on this post?

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I just got off the phone with Joe Zuke and he confirmed that he knows about those costumes and that in fact they are authentic. He told me the story behind them.

PS. Way out our price range.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• I just got off the phone with Joe Zuke and he confirmed that he knows about those costumes and that in fact they are authentic. He told me the story behind them.

PS. Way out our price range.

Thanks Bill, for that,like to hear the story

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi Robbie,
    The calvary coat is from the seen when he resigns his commission at the beginning of The Undefeated and it has the Western Costume tag in the inside pockets with John Wayne's name on it. The vest, shirt and kerchief were part of a display that John Wayne put up in the lobdy of a company he was part owner of that made old tires in to oil. The vest has a Western Costume tag with John Wayne's name on it and the shirt has John Wayne's name on it and Dorothy Jeakins the costume designer from True Grit, there is nothing on the kerchief. These are not my costumes but I think they are the real deal.

• I have in hindsight decided to approve Bill's posts,
    so that members can make their own decisions.

i find it strange that Bill thinks that because we dont live in america,we dont know anything about John Wayne.

i enjoy Bill's posts,photos,stories etc about Duke but i think his replies to Robbies post in this thread are out of order.

" I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man " True Grit

Edited once, last by luckynedpepper ().

• Thanks Bill, for that,like to hear the story

Keith!
    From what I,am told Wayne gave them to his friend who owned the oil company as a gift for making Duke a lot of money. Chris is correct that they were on display in the lobby at the company office. After that owner past away they they were put up for auction. I think that is how the present owner has them.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

Edited once, last by BILL OF PA ().

• I would like to first of all thank Keith for offering me protection from Chillibills venomous rants towards me, I was getting a little disillusioned with this member and his attacks on me are happening all too often.

In relation to the True Grit outfit, Duke wears a lighter neck scarf and a navy blue shirt, the picture above is of a bright pink kerchief and an aqua coloured shirt, this is why I doubt its authenticity.

Chris could you supply a picture of John Wayne wearing the above outfits in his movies? I don't doubt your genuineness, my concerns are only with the items in question.

:agents:

Regards
    Robbie

Edited once, last by Robbie ().

• Robbie,
    I asked the same question when I first saw this picture and I was told that some colors come up different on film. When I saw the shirt and vest in other pictures it looked different then it looks in the picture that I posted. When this costume was sold a few years ago I got in touch with Luster Bayless, John Wayne's costumer and he told me that he wasn't sure what film it was from with out seeing it in person but that it came from John Wayne's house where he kept a lot of his costumes so it was a costume that he wore in a film. I think that when they saw Dorothy Jeakins name on the shirt with John Wayne's, they thought that it was from True Grit because she was the costume designer on the film. Do you have any questions with the coat from The Undefeated or can you see that in the film, it is only used in one seen.
    Thanks.

• Authentication of items such as these is very difficult when there are gaps in the history trail AND the lack of documentary evidence. This creates doubt and uncertainty.

In a court of law when one side of the case introduces an element of doubt or uncertainty then the case gets thrown out as any finding of guilt would be unsafe.

This is an issue of trust in the story handed down aided by any account by persons involved in Duke's clothing way back then.

I have seen various reproductions of Duke's clothing over the years and I am sure many of you will also have seen these, and some are very good. The vest is a good example, and is currently on eBay.

The issue of authentication exists in most areas of collectibles. My brother has continued something I started a long time ago in collecting records from the 1950's. He regularly comes across 'bootlegs' that are sold as original. This is because current sellers have no knowledge of what the real original looked like, if it ever existed at all. It is amplified by 'cartels' that flooded the market in the 1970s with very authentic looking bootlegs.

Last year I bought a few items of Duke's clothing, based on their source, history trail and documentary evidence, but there is still a very small part of me deep down that holds some uncertainty.

I wish the seller and buyer luck.

Bob

• Hi Chris.

How much is your friend asking? I am a celebrity voice impressionist and I do video parodies and live performances too, so a costume like that may come in handy. Do you know of where I can get these types of items, or what company if any may make that sort of thing?

Best regards,

Jim Lueck
    Celebrity Voice Impressionist
    www.manofvoices.com

• Hi

Looking at the military shirt the first thing that strikes me is that there is no insignia on it after all he was a colonel and that it buttons all the way down the front making it a coat rather than a shirt. But even a coat would have some ensignia of rank.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low