Battle of the Bulge (1965)

There are 30 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 20,966 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• My uncle took part in the Battle of Bulge which is called in Germany "Ardennenschlacht" (Battle of the Ardennes). He recounted me that he was there with the German forces as a young man and once he stumbled over a patrol of US soldiers. They were four and since he was in advantage he shot three of them instantly with his automatic gun while one was running away and he let him go. It turned out that all three were black men. My uncle confessed that he could never forget this killing and it was haunting him sometimes at night through all these years. He was 18 years or so. He also said that the Germans lost all chances when the wheather cleared off and the tanks were an easy target for the us aircraft. They had also very short supply of fuel which hindered their operational abilities. He said that the US troops were always on the retreat whenever they faced equal strong German forces. I told him, that is the way to win wars. He said the unexperienced US troops were no match for the Germans, but the Germans were sooner or later outnumbered. He said, when he was a war prisoner he was surprised to notice the material abundance of the allies, only then he realized that Germany could not win the war. This was in late 1944.

Edited once, last by Roman ().

• Thank you Roman for the very insightful prospective of that time during WW2. All war is a sad state of affairs, especially when some folks just happen to be making vast sums of money from it.

On a positive note, Welcome to the best website this side of the internet, regarding John Wayne and anyone that ever got close to him. We all try to learn as much about him, and have a fun time doing it ! So check out our board, its full of many neat facts and information!
    Chester :newyear:

• I suspect the trick is finding the 88 mm shells. (-;

Heh heh, that problem is easily solved. He already has collected many 88 shells with the warhead intack. I suppose you can make anything explode? I know there is a place you can get them (new manufacture) 88s made as they make them for movies, Tank shoots etc. Trouble is-I dont know who is making them to tell where to look. Original 88 shells with warheads on them individually and depending on what firm made them, the year and whether or not they are marked with the SS Runes on them--will depend on how much you will pay per shell. Last I heard-the now SS marked 88s were selling in the range of $800-to-$1,200 each-and that was about 5-6 years ago.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• My uncle took part in the Battle of Bulge which is called in Germany "Ardennenschlacht" (Battle of the Ardennes). He recounted me that he was there with the German forces as a young man and once he stumbled over a patrol of US soldiers. They were four and since he was in advantage he shot three of them instantly with his automatic gun while one was running away and he let him go. It turned out that all three were black men. My uncle confessed that he could never forget this killing and it was haunting him sometimes at night through all these years. He was 18 years or so. He also said that the Germans lost all chances when the wheather cleared off and the tanks were an easy target for the us aircraft. They had also very short supply of fuel which hindered their operational abilities. He said that the US troops were always on the retreat whenever they faced equal strong German forces. I told him, that is the way to win wars. He said the unexperienced US troops were no match for the Germans, but the Germans were sooner or later outnumbered. He said, when he was a war prisoner he was surprised to notice the material abundance of the allies, only then he realized that Germany could not win the war. This was in late 1944.

One of my Uncles was at the Battle of the Bulge too-he served in the 101st Airborne (Fallschirmjager) Division and was in Bastongue (SP?) I also know several German vets who were there as well. One vet served on the Eastern Fornt most of his war service-was at Battles like Kursk--and he said he knew they had lost the war in 43--when they saw littered all over the battlefield-C-and K-Ration boxes of food that the Russians were eating. He picked up a box and it said: Made in the USA.

• One of my Uncles was at the Battle of the Bulge too-he served in the 101st Airborne (Fallschirmjager) Division and was in Bastongue (SP?) I also know several German vets who were there as well. One vet served on the Eastern Fornt most of his war service-was at Battles like Kursk--and he said he knew they had lost the war in 43--when they saw littered all over the battlefield-C-and K-Ration boxes of food that the Russians were eating. He picked up a box and it said: Made in the USA.

This is the opinion of most historians. That the entry of the USA fixed the outcome of the war. Moscow was close to fall in late 1941 when the Sibirian troops of the USSR, set free because it was clear that Japan was no more thread in the East, enforced Stalins defense decisively, besides from the material help of the western allies via Murmansk with a steady flow in of supply.
    By the way, it is Einzelhaft, not Einselhaft!

• Thank you Roman for the very insightful prospective of that time during WW2. All war is a sad state of affairs, especially when some folks just happen to be making vast sums of money from it.

On a positive note, Welcome to the best website this side of the internet, regarding John Wayne and anyone that ever got close to him. We all try to learn as much about him, and have a fun time doing it ! So check out our board, its full of many neat facts and information!

Thank you! I found You via Internet. One of my favourite proverbs is: "Courage is scared... sattling up anyway."
    How I became a Duke Fan? It is easy to answer. Once you saw him in one of his western movies, you have to like him. If you miss this, there must be something wrong with you. Seeing the Duke in his movies gives me always a good time. he encorporated there and in his privat life much of what I also hold high.

• My Dad was in the Bulge. He was wounded at St. Vith when a tank exploded behind him. He laid in the snow for three days, half frozen until a detail that was gathering the dead saw his eyes blink. He never talked to his kids about his war experiences, so I heard this from my mom.
    Anyway, he hated "Battle of the Bulge" when he saw it. Just said it should have been called "Battle of the Tanks".

We deal in lead, friend.

• This is the opinion of most historians. That the entry of the USA fixed the outcome of the war. Moscow was close to fall in late 1941 when the Sibirian troops of the USSR, set free because it was clear that Japan was no more thread in the East, enforced Stalins defense decisively, besides from the material help of the western allies via Murmansk with a steady flow in of supply.
    By the way, it is Einzelhaft, not Einselhaft!

Hi Roman, and thank you for the info as well as the spelling correction. Ill correct it ;-))

That's true about the Eastern Front and WWII. In fact 78% of all German battle casualties-happened on the Eastern Front. I have a huge interest in WWII-especially the war on the Eastern Front, and I knew and still know and are friends with, many German vets who served there. One friend--Bernard Steverding-was an Artillery Leutnant who served his full war career-on the Eastern Front. Bernard married a beautiful lady from England-Souzana-and they immigrated to the USA in the early 50s-and got job working under Werner von Braun @ NASA. Bernard retired in the late 80s and did historical lectures till a few years ago. Sadly, he passed away in 2010. Anyway, this man was kind enough to allow me to safe keep the few wartime possessions he had not given away-which were his Iron Cross 2nd class, East Front Medal, and his Artillery Badge--all of which id never sell at any price.

Anyway, sorry for my lecture-wasnt intended. Im just a big student of the war on the Eastern Front. But to reiterate--what you said is totally true ;-))

• I forgot to mention that Bernard has the rare distinction of never having surrendered. The reason most of his wartime earned medals and badges are gone-is because he gave them away while on his trek from the East Front-to his Parents home. It took him over 6 months of evading the authorities and the Russians-to finally get there. The most precious of his awards-are the ones he gave to me,