Charlton Heston

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 85 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by The Ringo Kid.

• Re: RIP Charlton Heston

ejgreen77 wrote:

I believe both Olivia de Havilland and her sister, Joan Fontaine are still alive. Oscar winners and great actresses, both.

I agree Ms. de Havilland was one of the greatest actresses of my lifetime. I really liked her best when she starred opposite Errol Flynn.

I never was that impressed with Ms. Fontaine.
      De gustibus non est disputandum

During my last assignment in Germany (1970-'74), I was sitting in my office one day when one of my subordinates ran in and breathlessly announed, "Hey, Sarge, guess who's down on the tennis courts?" I said "I have no idea". He then said "Charlton Heston". Naturally I said, "You're BSing me, right?" He said "No BS, he's really down there".

Well, since Mr. Heston was one of my favorite movie stars, I tore off down to the athletic field tennis courts to see if it was true. Sure enough, there the man was, big as life. I couldn't believe it.

I ran to my quarters and grabbed one of those big coffee table movie books (as a lifelong movie fan, I have several such books) and raced back to the tennis courts. After waiting for about half an hour for the man to finish his match, I shyly approached him as he walked off court and asked him to autograph my book. (I felt like an absolute fool, as I'm not ordinarily an autograph hound type, but decided I couldn't pass up the opportunity.) He very politely autographed my book, spoke a few very nice words, then walked away. I was on Cloud 9 for the rest of the day.

I later learned that his sister was married to one of the many generals we had on the post and that he had came to visit his sister for a few days. I treasure that book to this day.

I was genuinely sorry to hear of the passing of this great legend, however I do take some comfort in the knowledge that he is no longer suffering.

He was as powerful as he was unforgettable onscreen and he made so many classics, there are few I would categorise as both actor and star, Charlton is one who fits this bill.

He seemed like a good guy off screen which is refreshing and I truly hope that UK TV screen some of his movies in tribute to the man.

:agent:
      Regards
      Robbie

Robbie wrote:

He seemed like a good guy off screen which is refreshing

I wholly agree, Rob. He was married to the same woman for 64 years and in my eyes, that makes him an exceptionally good man just about anywhere but most emphatically in Hollywood, where some marriages last about 3 hours.

Stumpy wrote:

I wholly agree, Rob. He was married to the same woman for 64 years and in my eyes, that makes him an exceptionally good man just about anywhere but most emphatically in Hollywood, where some marriages last about 3 hours.

Wow. To be married for 64 years. There are some who don't live that long. That one fact alone just spoke volumes about the man. Didn't Mr. Heston and Duke do a movie together? I think the last movie I saw him in was Tombstone. R. I. P. Mr. Heston. You will be truly missed.
      Stay thirsty my friends.

SXViper wrote:

I don't think they ever did a movie together gt. In fact I am pretty sure they didn't. They would have made a nice combo though.

They were both in "The Greatest Story Ever Told," however they shared no scenes together.

Unfortunately for a period of time Duke and Charlton Heston did not get on very well, I'm not sure if they ever reconciled.

Regards
      Robbie

Robbie wrote:

They were both in "The Greatest Story Ever Told," however they shared no scenes together.

Unfortunately for a period of time Duke and Charlton Heston did not get on very well, I'm not sure if they ever reconciled.

Ahh, yes. I was not thinking of the great movie ensembles. I don't consider that a movie that they acted in just as I don't consider "The Longest Day" a movie that Duke and Sean Connery were in together as they never were on the screen at the sametime. Technically yes, but no on the actual "on screen" time.
      Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
      -John Wayne

Just found the following interesting Quote of Mr. Heston's:

"So that this nation may long endure, I urge you to follow in the hallowed footsteps of the great disobedience of history that freed exiles, founded religions, defeated tyrants, and yes, in the hands of an aroused rabble in arms and a few great men, by God's grace, built this country." - The Late Charlton Heston, from a speech to the Harvard Law School Forum, February 16, 1999

Chester :newyear:

P.S. While Bill Clinton was still in office, Mr Heston was President of the NRA,
      Guess who I considered my Commander in Chief ?

Here's
      another interesting Quote of Mr. Hestons

And the best of all Quotes:

And last but not least, the trailer for Ben Hur
      (best if opened to full screen)

Mr. Heston was truly one of the last great actors left to us. The list grows smaller and there are none like his kind to replace them.

He will be missed. May he rest in peace.
      Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

chester7777 wrote:

Just found the following interesting Quote of Mr. Heston's:

"So that this nation may long endure, I urge you to follow in the hallowed footsteps of the great disobedience of history that freed exiles, founded religions, defeated tyrants, and yes, in the hands of an aroused rabble in arms and a few great men, by God's grace, built this country." - The Late Charlton Heston, from a speech to the Harvard Law School Forum, February 16, 1999

Chester :newyear:

P.S. While Bill Clinton was still in office, Mr Heston was President of the NRA,
      Guess who I considered my Commander in Chief ?

Here's
      another interesting Quote of Mr. Hestons

And the best of all Quotes:

And last but not least, the trailers for Ben Hur
      and The Ten Commandments
      (best if opened to full screen)

We will miss Mr. Heston .

Would love to be there when he meets the real Moses !