Charlton Heston

There are 85 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 59,780 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• He seemed like a good guy off screen which is refreshing

I wholly agree, Rob. He was married to the same woman for 64 years and in my eyes, that makes him an exceptionally good man just about anywhere but most emphatically in Hollywood, where some marriages last about 3 hours.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I wholly agree, Rob. He was married to the same woman for 64 years and in my eyes, that makes him an exceptionally good man just about anywhere but most emphatically in Hollywood, where some marriages last about 3 hours.

Wow. To be married for 64 years. There are some who don't live that long. That one fact alone just spoke volumes about the man. Didn't Mr. Heston and Duke do a movie together? I think the last movie I saw him in was Tombstone. R. I. P. Mr. Heston. You will be truly missed.

Stay thirsty my friends.

• I don't think they ever did a movie together gt. In fact I am pretty sure they didn't. They would have made a nice combo though.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I don't think they ever did a movie together gt. In fact I am pretty sure they didn't. They would have made a nice combo though.

They were both in "The Greatest Story Ever Told," however they shared no scenes together.

Unfortunately for a period of time Duke and Charlton Heston did not get on very well, I'm not sure if they ever reconciled.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• They were both in "The Greatest Story Ever Told," however they shared no scenes together.

Unfortunately for a period of time Duke and Charlton Heston did not get on very well, I'm not sure if they ever reconciled.

Ahh, yes. I was not thinking of the great movie ensembles. I don't consider that a movie that they acted in just as I don't consider "The Longest Day" a movie that Duke and Sean Connery were in together as they never were on the screen at the sametime. Technically yes, but no on the actual "on screen" time.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Just found the following interesting Quote of Mr. Heston's:

"So that this nation may long endure, I urge you to follow in the hallowed footsteps of the great disobedience of history that freed exiles, founded religions, defeated tyrants, and yes, in the hands of an aroused rabble in arms and a few great men, by God's grace, built this country." - The Late Charlton Heston, from a speech to the Harvard Law School Forum, February 16, 1999

Chester :newyear:

P.S. While Bill Clinton was still in office, Mr Heston was President of the NRA,
    Guess who I considered my Commander in Chief ?

Here's
    another interesting Quote of Mr. Hestons

And the best of all Quotes:

And last but not least, the trailer for Ben Hur
    (best if opened to full screen)

• Mr. Heston was truly one of the last great actors left to us. The list grows smaller and there are none like his kind to replace them.

He will be missed. May he rest in peace.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• He'll always be Moses to me. Moses acting as Charleton Heston acting as someone else.

This one hurts.

• We will miss Mr. Heston .

Would love to be there when he meets the real Moses !

• [INDENT]

Chester, Great Film Clips !

And You are Right He was My President Too !!
    President Of The N.R.A.
    :wink_smile:

And He Was Also a Great Christian Gentleman Also !!!
    Bill
    :yeaahh:

[/INDENT]

• As mentioned before Charlton Heston made only 1 movie involving Duke.

The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965) .... John the Baptist
    He and Duke were in different segments of this epic

Taken from the book,
    Duke: The Life And Image John Wayne

Charlton Heston said of Duke,

God knows, Duke Wayne couldn't play a first-century Roman

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Rest in Peace Mr. Heston. Sorry I am so late in being able to reply but, I want to say that our household he;d you with the exact same high regards as we did for John Wayne. Nobody could match either of you with the many many great movies and many more exciting hours of entertainment that you gave to us.

I greatly enjoyed all of the movies I ever saw you in including but not limited to: Arrowhead, Major Dundee, El Cid, 55 Days At Peking, The Greatest Story Ever Told, Grey Lady Down, Two Minute Warning, Planet of the Apes, The Naked Jungle, Earthquake, Will Penny, The Savage, Counterpoint, The Private War of Major Benson, The Buccanneer & The Ten Commandments.

By far, my top 5 Favorites with you are:

Arrowhead.
    Will Penny.
    55 Days At Peking.
    The Ten Commandments.
    Counterpoint.

The above list is subject for change as is my top 5 most favorite Duke movies.

Rest in Peace Sir, I greatly miss you.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Just watched the Treasure Island version with Mr Heston playing Long John Silver I felt he does a great job of it.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Hi Kilo, thanks for mentioning Treasure Island! I had forgotten what a Gem of a movie that movie is. Also, did you know that his Son: Fraiser Heston, Directed that movie? If I recall, I think this movie was made by Ted Turner-as was movies like: Gettysburg, Andersonville and Ironclads.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• They were both in "The Greatest Story Ever Told," however they shared no scenes together.

What was the reason they didn't get along?

Stay thirsty my friends.

• Hi Gt,

Was it anything to do with their views about gun legislation?

I looked up these interesting connected snippets:-

John Wayne offered Heston the role of Jim Bowie in The Alamo (1960), but he declined due to the political implications of the film.

The actors he admired the most were Gary Cooper, Henry Fonda, Clark Gable, Cary Grant and James Stewart.

Was offered the role of Colonel Benjamin Vandervoort in The Longest Day (1962), but John Wayne signed for the part before Heston could accept.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England