Charlton Heston

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 85 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by The Ringo Kid.

• Re: RIP Charlton Heston

[INDENT]
      Chester, Great Film Clips !
      And You are Right He was My President Too !!
      President Of The N.R.A.
      :wink_smile:

And He Was Also a Great Christian Gentleman Also !!!
      Bill
      :yeaahh:

[/INDENT]

As mentioned before Charlton Heston made only 1 movie involving Duke.

The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965) .... John the Baptist
      He and Duke were in different segments of this epic

Taken from the book,
      Duke: The Life And Image John Wayne

Charlton Heston said of Duke,
      God knows, Duke Wayne couldn't play a first-century Roman
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

Rest in Peace Mr. Heston. Sorry I am so late in being able to reply but, I want to say that our household he;d you with the exact same high regards as we did for John Wayne. Nobody could match either of you with the many many great movies and many more exciting hours of entertainment that you gave to us.

I greatly enjoyed all of the movies I ever saw you in including but not limited to: Arrowhead, Major Dundee, El Cid, 55 Days At Peking, The Greatest Story Ever Told, Grey Lady Down, Two Minute Warning, Planet of the Apes, The Naked Jungle, Earthquake, Will Penny, The Savage, Counterpoint, The Private War of Major Benson, The Buccanneer & The Ten Commandments.

By far, my top 5 Favorites with you are:

Arrowhead.
      Will Penny.
      55 Days At Peking.
      The Ten Commandments.
      Counterpoint.

The above list is subject for change as is my top 5 most favorite Duke movies.

Rest in Peace Sir, I greatly miss you.
      Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Hi Kilo, thanks for mentioning Treasure Island! I had forgotten what a Gem of a movie that movie is. Also, did you know that his Son: Fraiser Heston, Directed that movie? If I recall, I think this movie was made by Ted Turner-as was movies like: Gettysburg, Andersonville and Ironclads.

Hi Gt,

Was it anything to do with their views about gun legislation?

I looked up these interesting connected snippets:-

John Wayne offered Heston the role of Jim Bowie in The Alamo (1960), but he declined due to the political implications of the film.

The actors he admired the most were Gary Cooper, Henry Fonda, Clark Gable, Cary Grant and James Stewart.

Was offered the role of Colonel Benjamin Vandervoort in The Longest Day (1962), but John Wayne signed for the part before Heston could accept.
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

Hi Ringo I checked on Mr Turners Bio and it does not show Treasure Island on the list I saw. When I was checking the bio of Henry Fonda I saw that Mr Ford was Mr Turners father in law. not related to our discusion but I thought that was interesting.
      Greetings from North of the 49th

Hi

In his book 'In The Arena'' Charlton Heston mentions John Wayne only three times.

The first and second occasion conerns 'The Longest Day'. Heston writes that when he was approached for a role in the making of the Longest Day he fancied the part of the Col who injured himself on landing and led the advance riding on a wheelbarrow.

Committed to making a picture at the time, Heston said that he was willing to arm wrestle his director to be let off for the couple of days that it would take to make the scene. He alludes to himself as being a six hundred pound gorilla.

He then went on to say that John Wayne also fancied the role and as he was a thousand pound gorilla Zannuck snapped him up immediately.

Certainly there was no rancour on Hestons part.

His third reference to Wayne is about John Ford's ability to mis treat his senior actors like Wayne Fonda and Stewart.

Regards

Arthur
      Walk Tall - Talk Low

Hi Kilo, I have not seen his version of Treasure Island since it originally aired. I do remember that I liked his version very much. I don't think it has been released---yet on either VHS tape or DvD.