Charlton Heston

There are 85 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 59,781 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Ringo I checked on Mr Turners Bio and it does not show Treasure Island on the list I saw. When I was checking the bio of Henry Fonda I saw that Mr Ford was Mr Turners father in law. not related to our discusion but I thought that was interesting.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Hi

In his book 'In The Arena'' Charlton Heston mentions John Wayne only three times.

The first and second occasion conerns 'The Longest Day'. Heston writes that when he was approached for a role in the making of the Longest Day he fancied the part of the Col who injured himself on landing and led the advance riding on a wheelbarrow.

Committed to making a picture at the time, Heston said that he was willing to arm wrestle his director to be let off for the couple of days that it would take to make the scene. He alludes to himself as being a six hundred pound gorilla.

He then went on to say that John Wayne also fancied the role and as he was a thousand pound gorilla Zannuck snapped him up immediately.

Certainly there was no rancour on Hestons part.

His third reference to Wayne is about John Ford's ability to mis treat his senior actors like Wayne Fonda and Stewart.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Kilo, I have not seen his version of Treasure Island since it originally aired. I do remember that I liked his version very much. I don't think it has been released---yet on either VHS tape or DvD.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hello Ringo I bought my copy of Treasure Island when a local rental store was selling off most of their VHS copies.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Hello Ringo I bought my copy of Treasure Island when a local rental store was selling off most of their VHS copies.

Hi Kilo, i'd checked several movies from Heston's list to see what was released and too saw that Treasure Island was only on VHS. I was thinking about searching Amazon or somewhere, to see if I could buy a copy of it-so maybe later on, I could have it copied to DvD.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• So . . . I got an interesting email today, with pictures purporting to be the late Charlton Heston's basement/gun room. As it turns out, after googling this story, the house actually belongs to another man in Connecticut.

After checking out this link, the story sounded pretty neat, and somewhat believable.

Chester :newyear:

• With all respect, admiration and love for John Wayne, I think Charlton Heston starred in the greatest movie ever made ("Ben Hur").

But having said that, the Duke is still my all-time favorite movie star.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I had the privilege and thrill of meeting Charlton Heston about 22 years ago. It was my 40th birthday and the studio who had the rights to Ben-Hur had just finished remastering the film in 70mm and were sedning it around the country to show in certain theaters that had the capability of to show 70mm films. They brought it to Detroit to show in the old Fox Theater and Heston came along to take part in the festivities. He was introduced and came onstage and talked about the film, how much it cost to make and what it would cost in 1987 dollars, over $100 million and, that the only way to really appreciate the film is to see it in a theater on a huge screen. That watching it on tv is not really seeing it.

When it came time for the movie to start, he sat down on the lower level with everyone else to enjoy it the only way there is. Just before the movie ended, I zipped over to the area he was in and waited at the top of the aisle for him to come up when it ended. When he got close enough, I approached him and asked for his autograph and he said sure and signed whatever I had. As he was signiing, I told him that I had seen the movie in a similar venue back in 1959 when it was first released and that it was magnificent then and still was now. He thanked me for the compliment and went on his way. He's the most famous person I have ever met and probably ever will.

• Awesome, WaynamoJim! That can only be a rare treat that most of us will never enjoy in our lives. Could you scan that autograph for us to see. We'd love to see it.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Awesome, WaynamoJim! That can only be a rare treat that most of us will never enjoy in our lives. Could you scan that autograph for us to see. We'd love to see it.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

I have Mr. Heston's autograph too. I think I related somewhere earlier how I managed to meet him and get his autograph while he was visiting his sister at Patch Barracks in Stuttgart, Germany. The sister was married to one of the generals who was assigned there the same time I was.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hi

I have never mentioned this before because people might think that I am off my head, but as I live and breathe this happened to me.
    As I have said before I wrote to Charlton Heston and he signed a photograph for me. I also bought his autograph at a film fair. This one I put in a frame with a photo from 55 days in Peking and it sat on the wall for a couple of years quite happily.
    On the day I heard of his death I heard a loud crash coming from the front room and Hestons photograph had fallen of the wall bringing down a signed picture of Vera Ellen and Ed Asnor with it.
    I do not believe in the supernatural or any thing like it. Inspecting the frame (It was cheap) I saw that the staple holding it all together had come loose and that was the reason the thing fell off of the wall.
    But the timing was spooky for all of that.
    To date I haven't replaced any of the three pictures back in their position.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• :cry2:You autograph hounds. :afraid: I envy you guys.:cry2: I don't think he ever came south! :sad:

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote