There are 10 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 10,448 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• JAMES CAGNEY

Information From IMDb

Date of Birth
    17 July 1899, New York City, New York, USA

Date of Death
    30 March 1986, Stanfordville, New York, USA (heart attack following illness from diabetes)

Birth Name
    James Francis Cagney

Nickname
    The Professional Againster
    Jimmy

Trade Mark
    Famous for his gangster roles he played in the 1930s and 1940s (which made his only Oscar win as the musical composer/dancer/actor George M.Cohan most ironic).

Height
    5' 6½" (1.69 m)

Spouse
    Frances Cagney (28 September 1922 - 30 March 1986) (his death) 2 children

Trivia
    Cagney's first job as an entertainer was as a female dancer in a chorus line.

According to his authorized biography, Cagney, although of Irish and Norwegian extraction, could speak Yiddish since he had grown up in a heavily Jewish area in New York. He used to converse in Yiddish with Jewish performers like Sylvia Sidney.

Ranked #45 in Empire (UK) magazine's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time" list. [October 1997]

Brother of actor-producer William Cagney and of actress Jeanne Cagney.

Films co-starring James Cagney and Pat O'Brien were these nine: Here Comes the Navy (1934), Devil Dogs of the Air (1935), The Irish in Us (1935), Boy Meets Girl (1938), Angels with Dirty Faces (1938), Torrid Zone (1940), The Fighting 69th (1940), Ceiling Zero (1936), as well as their finale together, four decades later, Ragtime (1981).

American Film Institute Life Achievement Award [1974]

Interred at Gate of Heaven Cemetery, Hawthorne, New York, USA.

President of Screen Actors Guild (SAG). [1942-1944]

Convinced decorated war hero Audie Murphy to go into acting.

His widow Frances (nicknamed 'Bill') outlived Cagney by eight years, dying aged 95 in 1994.

Father of actor James Cagney Jr.

Pictured on a 33¢ USA commemorative postage stamp in the Legends of Hollywood series, issued 22 July 1999.

Had two adopted children, Cathleen "Cassie" and James Jr.

Was best friends with actors Pat O'Brien and Frank McHugh.

Earned a Black Belt in Judo.

He was voted the 14th Greatest Movie Star of all time by Entertainment Weekly.

Extraordinarily (for Hollywood), he never cheated on his wife Frances, resulting in a marriage that lasted 64 years (ending with his death). The closest he came was nearly giving into a seduction attempt by Merle Oberon while the two stars were on tour to entertain WWII GIs.

Despite the common perception that he was full-blooded Irish of origin this was not all-together true. His grandfather was from Norway, but as he told an interviewer shortly before his death in 1986: "My mother's father, my Grandpa Nelson, was a Norwegian sea captain, but when I tried to investigate those roots I didn't get very far, for he had apparently changed his name to another one that made it impossible to identify him within the rest of the population."

Was of Irish-Norwegian origin.

His electric acting style was a huge influence on future generations of actors. Actors as diverse as Clint Eastwood and Malcolm McDowell point to him as their number one influence to become actors.

Lived in a Gramercy Park building in New York City that was also occupied by Margaret Hamilton and now boasts Jimmy Fallon as one of its tenants.

Though most Cagney imitators use the line "You dirty rat!", Cagney never actually said it in any of his films.

According to James Cagney's autobiography Cagney By Cagney, (Published by Doubleday and Company Inc 1976, and ghost written by show biz biographer Jack McCabe), a Mafia plan to murder Cagney by dropping a several hundred pound klieg light on top of him was stopped at the insistence of George Raft. Cagney at that time was president of the Screen Actors Guild, and was determined not to let the mob infiltrate the industry. Raft used his many mob connections to cancel the hit.

He was voted the 11th Greatest Movie Star of all time by Premiere Magazine.

Named the #8 greatest Actor on The 50 Greatest Screen Legends List by The American Film Institute

According to his autobiography his brother Bill (who was also his manager) actively pursued the role of Cohan in the ultra-patriotic film Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942) as a way of removing the taint of Cagney's radical activities in the 1930s, when he was a strong Roosevelt liberal. When Cohan himself learned about Cagney's background as a song-and-dance man in vaudeville, he okay-ed him for the project.

Lost the role of Knute Rockne to his friend Pat O'Brien when the administration of Notre Dame - which had approval over all aspects of the filming - nixed Cagney because of his support of the far-left (and anti-Catholic) Spanish Republic in the then-ongoing Spanish Civil War.

Originally a very left-wing Democrat activist during the 1930s, Cagney later switched his viewpoint and became progressively more conservative with age. He supported his friend Ronald Reagan's campaigns for the Governorship of California in 1966 and 1970, as well as his Presidential campaigns in 1980 and 1984. President Reagan delivered the eulogy at Cagney's funeral in 1986.

His performance as George M. Cohan in Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942) is ranked #6 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Performances of All Time (2006).

His performance as Tom Powers in The Public Enemy (1931) is ranked #57 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Movie Characters of All Time.

Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942) is ranked #88 on the American Film Institute's 100 Most Inspiring Movies of All Time.

Often said that he did not understand the method actors like Marlon Brando. Cagney admitted that he used his own personal experiences to help create his performances and encouraged other actors to do so, but he did not understand actors who felt a need to go to the extreme length that method actors went to.

Biography in: "The Scribner Encyclopedia of American Lives". Volume Two, 1986- 1990, pages 149-152. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1999.

To protest the quality of scripts he was given at Warner Brothers, instead of violating his contract by refusing to appear in a picture he reputedly used his appearance to get even. In Jimmy the Gent (1934) he got an ugly crew-cut to make himself look like the hoodlum Warners wanted him to play. In movies like He Was Her Man (1934) he grew a thin mustache to upset thin-mustachioed studio boss Jack L. Warner.

Encouraged by his mother to take up boxing as a hobby. She thought it was a necessary skill to have, especially in the rough Eastside section of New York City where he grew up. She would often show up and watch him take on neighborhood kids in a street fight. However when he wanted to become a professional boxer, she disapproved. She started to put on a pair of boxing gloves and told him "If you want to become a professional fighter, then your first fight will have to be against me". He abandoned the idea of doing boxing professionally from that moment on.

Inspiration for the Madonna song, "White Heat", from her album, True Blue.

Turned down Stanley Holloway's role as Eliza's father in My Fair Lady (1964).

Turned down the lead role in The Jolson Story (1946), which went to Larry Parks.

At the time of filming of White Heat (1949), Special Effects were not yet using squibs (tiny explosives that simulate the effects of bullets). The producers employed skilled marksmen who used low velocity bullets to break windows or show bullets hitting near the characters. In the factory scene, Cagney was missed by mere inches.

Broke a rib while filming the dance scene in Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942) but continued dancing until it was completed.

He once claimed that problems with Horst Buchholz had convinced him to retire from acting.

Awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by Ronald Reagan at a ceremony at the White House on 26 March 1984.

Along with Rita Hayworth, is mentioned by name in the Tom Waits song "Invitation To The Blues".

In his autobiography, he mentions that while in the chorus of the musical "Pitter Patter", he earned $55 a week, of which he sent $40 a week home to his mother. As his salary increased, so did the amount he sent back home. In The Public Enemy (1931), he earned $400 a week, sending over $300 back home. Until his mother passed, he never kept more than 50% of his earnings.

Often left the set early claiming he was too ill to continue filming in order to ensure an extra day of filming so that the extras and the film crew, whom he thought woefully underpaid, could get an additional day's salary.

Wrote that of the sixty-two films he made, he rated Love Me or Leave Me (1955) costarring Doris Day among his top five.

Two grandchildren, from daughter Kathleen, Verniey Lee and Christina May Thomas.

He is the father-in-law of screenplay writer Jack W. Thomas, who married his daughter Cathleen on February 17, 1962.

Grandfather of actor James Cagney IV.

Great grandfather of actress Fiona Cagney.

Great-great uncle of Brian Harrison Mack.

Great uncle of Pattee Mack.

"Cagney! The Musical," an original biographical stage work written by Peter Colley and directed by Bill Castellino, had its world premiere in March 2009 at the Florida Stage theatre in Manalapan, Florida. Robert Creighton starred as Cagney, both he and the show received good to excellent reviews and the run soon sold out, setting a record for the theatre.

Personal Quotes
    There's not much to say about acting but this. Never settle back on your heels. Never relax. If you relax, the audience relaxes. And always mean everything you say.

All I try to do is to realise the man I'm playing fully, then put as much into my acting as I know how. To do it, I draw upon all that I've ever known, heard, seen or remember.

My biggest concern is that doing a rough-and-tumble scene I might hurt someone accidentally.

[in the early 1960s] In this business you need enthusiasm. I don't have enthusiasm for acting anymore. Acting is not the beginning and end of everything.

They need you. Without you, they have an empty screen. So, when you get on there, just do what you think is right and stick with it.

Where I come from, if there's a buck to be made, you don't ask questions, you go ahead and make it.

With me, a career was the simple matter of putting groceries on the table.

Once a song and dance man, always a song and dance man. Those few words tell as much about me professionally as there is to tell.

I hate the word "superstar". I have never been able to think in those terms. They are overstatements. You don't hear them speak of Shakespeare as a superpoet. You don't hear them call Michelangelo a superpainter. They only apply the word to this mundane market.

You know, the period of World War I and the Roaring Twenties were really just about the same as today. You worked, and you made a living if you could, and you tried to make the best of things. For an actor or a dancer, it was no different then than today. It was a struggle.

My father was totally Irish, and so I went to Ireland once. I found it to be very much like New York, for it was a beautiful country, and both the women and men were good-looking.

[1931] I'm sick of carrying guns and beating up women.

[about his most famous misquoted line] I never actually said, "Nnng-you dirty ra-at!" What I actually said was [imitating Cary Grant] "Judy! Judy! Judy!"

Learn your lines, find your mark, look 'em in the eye and tell 'em the truth.

[about The Public Enemy (1931)] What not many people know is that right up to two days before shooting started, I was going to play the good guy, the pal. Edward Woods played it in the end.

Learn your lines ... plant your feet ... look the other actor in the eye ... say the words ... mean them.

Salary
    The Roaring Twenties (1939) $12,500/week
    Angels with Dirty Faces (1938) $150,000
    Boy Meets Girl (1938) $5,000/week
    Something to Sing About (1937) $100,000
    Great Guy (1936) $100,000
    Hard to Handle (1933) $3,000/week
    Blonde Crazy (1931) $450/week
    The Public Enemy (1931) $400/week
    The Doorway to Hell (1930) $400/week
    Sinners' Holiday (1930) $500/week (three-week shoot)

Mini Biography
    One of Hollywood's pre-eminent male stars of all time (eclipsed, perhaps, only by "King" Clark Gable and arguably by Gary Cooper or Spencer Tracy), and the cinema's quintessential "tough guy." Was also an accomplished if rather stiff hoofer and easily played light comedy. Ending three decades on the screen, retired to his farm in Stanfordville, New York (some 77 miles/124 km. north of his New York City birthplace), after starring in Billy Wilder's One, Two, Three (1961). Emerged from retirement to star in the 1981 screen adaptation of E.L. Doctorow's novel Ragtime (1981), in which he was reunited with his frequent co-star of the 30's, the actor 'Pat O'Brien', and which was his last theatrical film. (Ironically - or fittingly, if one prefers - it was O'Brien's last film as well.) Cagney's final performance came in the title role of the made-for-TV movie Terrible Joe Moran (1984) (TV), in which he played opposite Art Carney.
    IMDb Mini Biography By: Bill Takacs

Filmography

Actor
    1. Terrible Joe Moran (1984) (TV) .... Joe Moran
    2. Ragtime (1981) .... Police Commissioner Rhinelander Waldo
    ... aka "Love and Glory" - Philippines (English title)
    3. Arizona Bushwhackers (1968) (voice) .... Narrator
    4. The Ballad of Smokey the Bear (1966) (TV) .... Narrator
    5. One, Two, Three (1961) .... C.R. MacNamara
    6. The Gallant Hours (1960) .... Fleet Admiral William F. Halsey Jr.
    7. Shake Hands with the Devil (1959) .... Sean Lenihan
    8. Never Steal Anything Small (1959) .... Jake MacIllaney
    9. Man of a Thousand Faces (1957) .... Lon Chaney
    10. "The Christophers" .... Professor Graham (1 episode, 1957)
    - A Link in the Chain (1957) TV episode .... Professor Graham
    11. "Robert Montgomery Presents" .... George Bridgeman (1 episode, 1956)
    - Soldier from the Wars Returning (1956) TV episode .... George Bridgeman
    12. These Wilder Years (1956) .... Steve Bradford
    13. Tribute to a Bad Man (1956) .... Jeremy Rodock
    14. Mister Roberts (1955) .... Capt. Morton
    15. The Seven Little Foys (1955) .... George M. Cohan
    16. Love Me or Leave Me (1955) .... Martin Snyder
    17. Run for Cover (1955) .... Matt Dow
    ... aka "Colorado" - USA (reissue title)
    18. A Lion Is in the Streets (1953) .... Hank Martin
    19. What Price Glory (1952) .... Capt. Flagg
    20. Come Fill the Cup (1951) .... Lew Marsh
    21. The West Point Story (1950) .... Elwin 'Bix' Bixby
    22. Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye (1950) .... Ralph Cotter
    23. White Heat (1949) .... Arthur 'Cody' Jarrett
    24. The Time of Your Life (1948) .... Joseph T. (who observes people)
    25. 13 Rue Madeleine (1947) .... Robert Emmett 'Bob' Sharkey
    26. Blood on the Sun (1945) .... Nick Condon
    27. Johnny Come Lately (1943) .... Tom Richards
    28. You, John Jones! (1943) .... John Jones
    29. Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942) .... George M. Cohan
    30. Captains of the Clouds (1942) .... Brian MacLean (bush pilot)
    31. The Bride Came C.O.D. (1941) .... Steve Collins
    32. The Strawberry Blonde (1941) .... Biff Grimes
    33. City for Conquest (1940) .... Danny Kenny
    34. Torrid Zone (1940) .... Nick 'Nicky' Butler
    35. The Fighting 69th (1940) .... Private Jerry Plunkett
    36. The Roaring Twenties (1939) .... Eddie Bartlett
    37. Each Dawn I Die (1939) .... Frank Ross
    38. The Oklahoma Kid (1939) .... Jim Kincaid
    39. Angels with Dirty Faces (1938) .... Rocky Sullivan
    40. Boy Meets Girl (1938) .... Robert Law
    41. Something to Sing About (1937) .... Terrence 'Terry' Rooney (stage name of Thadeus McGillicuddy)
    ... aka "Battling Hoofer" - USA (recut version)
    ... aka "Something to Fight About" - USA (poster title)
    42. Great Guy (1936) .... Johnny 'Red' Cave
    43. Ceiling Zero (1936) .... Dizzy Davis
    44. Frisco Kid (1935) .... Bat Morgan
    45. Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) (uncredited) .... Extra
    46. A Midsummer Night's Dream (1935) .... Bottom, the Weaver
    47. The Irish in Us (1935) .... Danny O'Hara
    48. 'G' Men (1935) .... 'Brick' Davis
    49. Devil Dogs of the Air (1935) .... Thomas Jefferson 'Tommy' O'Toole
    50. The St. Louis Kid (1934) .... Eddie Kennedy
    51. Here Comes the Navy (1934) .... Chesty O'Conner
    52. He Was Her Man (1934) .... Flicker Hayes, aka Jerry Allen
    53. Jimmy the Gent (1934) .... 'Jimmy' Corrigan
    54. Lady Killer (1933) .... Dan Quigley
    55. Footlight Parade (1933) .... Chester Kent
    56. The Mayor of Hell (1933) .... Richard 'Patsy' Gargan
    57. Picture Snatcher (1933) .... Danny Kean
    58. Hard to Handle (1933) .... Myron C. 'Lefty' Merrill
    59. Winner Take All (1932) .... Jim 'Jimmy' Kane
    60. The Crowd Roars (1932) .... Joe Greer
    61. Taxi! (1932) .... Matt Nolan
    62. Blonde Crazy (1931) .... Bert Harris
    63. Smart Money (1931) .... Jack
    64. The Millionaire (1931) .... Schofield, Insurance Salesman
    65. The Public Enemy (1931) .... Tom Powers
    66. Other Men's Women (1931) .... Ed 'Eddie' Bailey
    67. The Doorway to Hell (1930) .... Steve Mileaway
    68. Sinners' Holiday (1930) .... Harry Delano

Soundtrack:
    1. Hollywood Singing and Dancing: A Musical History - The 1940s: Stars, Stripes and Singing (2009) (V) (performer: "The Yankee Doodle Boy" (uncredited))
    2. Warner at War (2008) (TV) (performer: "The Yankee Doodle Boy" (uncredited), "You're a Grand Old Flag" (uncredited), "Over There" (uncredited))
    3. The Brothers Warner (2008) (performer: "The Yankee Doodle Boy" (uncredited))
    4. "American Masters" (1 episode, 1997)
    - Vaudeville (1997) TV episode (performer: "Mary's a Grand Old Name" (uncredited))
    5. Here's Looking at You, Warner Bros. (1991) (TV) (performer: "Shanghai Lil", "The Yankee Doodle Boy", "You're a Grand Old Flag")
    6. That's Dancing! (1985) ("Give My Regards to Broadway")
    7. Hooray for Hollywood (1975) (performer: "Any Old Love")
    8. Never Steal Anything Small (1959) (performer: "Never Steal Anything Small", "I'm Sorry, I Want a Ferrari")
    9. The Seven Little Foys (1955) (performer: "Mary's a Grand Old Name" (uncredited), "Yankee Doodle Dandy" (uncredited))
    10. The West Point Story (1950) (performer: "IT'S RAINING SUNDROPS", "THE MILITARY POLKA", "B 'POSTROPHE, K NO 'POSTROPHE, L-Y-N", "IT COULD ONLY HAPPEN IN BROOKLYN") ("BY THE KISSING ROCK")
    11. The Time of Your Life (1948) (performer: "Let the Lower Lights Be Burning" (1871) (uncredited)) ("When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" (1912) (uncredited))
    12. The Voice That Thrilled the World (1943) (performer: "The Yankee Doodle Boy" (uncredited), "You're a Grand Old Flag" (uncredited))
    13. Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942) (performer: "The Yankee Doodle Boy" (uncredited), "Give My Regards to Broadway" (uncredited), "Over There" (uncredited), "You're a Grand Old Flag" (uncredited), "Mary's a Grand Old Name" (uncredited), "Only 45 Minutes from Broadway" (uncredited), "Off the Record" (uncredited), "Harrigan" (uncredited), "I Was Born in Virginia" (uncredited))
    14. Captains of the Clouds (1942) (performer: "Bless 'em All" (uncredited))
    15. Calling All Girls (1942) (performer: "Shanghai Lil")
    ... aka "Broadway Brevities: Calling All Girls" - USA (series title)
    16. City for Conquest (1940) (performer: "Lullaby of Broadway" (1934) (uncredited))
    17. The Oklahoma Kid (1939) (performer: "Rock-a-Bye Baby" (uncredited), "I Don't Want to Play in Your Yard" (uncredited))
    18. Angels with Dirty Faces (1938) ("In My Merry Oldsmobile" (1905) (uncredited))
    19. Something to Sing About (1937) (performer: "Any Old Love") ("Bridal Chorus (Here Comes the Bride)" (uncredited), "Out of the Blue")
    ... aka "Battling Hoofer" - USA (recut version)
    ... aka "Something to Fight About" - USA (poster title)
    20. Ceiling Zero (1936) (performer: "I Can't Give You Anything but Love")
    21. A Midsummer Night's Dream (1935) (performer: "Scottish Symphony", "Kinderstucke (Pieces for Children) no.1:Allegro non troppo", "Lullaby")
    22. Devil Dogs of the Air (1935) (performer: "I Only Have Eyes for You" (1934))
    23. Footlight Parade (1933) (performer: "Shanghai Lil" (uncredited))
    24. Taxi! (1932) ("The Darktown Strutters' Ball" (1917))
    25. Blonde Crazy (1931) ("Happy Days Are Here Again" (1929))

Producer
    1. The Gallant Hours (1960) (producer) (uncredited)

Director
    1. Short Cut to Hell (1957)

Self
    1. Night of 100 Stars (1982) (TV) .... Himself
    2. "Today" .... Himself (4 episodes, 1956-1981)
    ... aka "NBC News Today" - USA (promotional title)
    ... aka "The Today Show" - USA (alternative title)
    - Episode dated 1 December 1981 (1981) TV episode .... Himself
    - Episode dated 30 November 1981 (1981) TV episode .... Himself
    - Episode dated 16 May 1960 (1960) TV episode .... Himself
    - Episode dated 6 September 1956 (1956) TV episode .... Himself
    3. James Cagney: That Yankee Doodle Dandy (1981) (TV) .... Himself
    4. The American Film Institute Salute to Fred Astaire (1981) (TV) .... Himself
    5. "Parkinson" .... Himself (1 episode, 1981)
    - Episode #10.28 (1981) TV episode .... Himself
    6. The Kennedy Center Honors: A Celebration of the Performing Arts (1980) (TV) .... Himself (Honoree)
    7. Bob Hope's Overseas Christmas Tours: Around the World with the Troops - 1941-1972 (1980) (TV) .... Himself
    8. "Good Morning America" .... Himself (1 episode, 1979)
    ... aka "G.M.A." - USA (promotional abbreviation)
    - Episode dated 14 February 1979 (1979) TV episode .... Himself
    9. The American Film Institute Salute to James Cagney (1974) (TV) .... Himself
    10. "Hollywood and the Stars" .... Himself (1 episode, 1963)
    - How to Succeed as a Gangster (1963) TV episode (also archive footage) .... Himself
    11. "Tonight Starring Jack Paar" .... Himself (2 episodes, 1960)
    ... aka "The Jack Paar Show" - USA (new title)
    ... aka "The Jack Paar Tonight Show" - USA (new title)
    - Episode dated 8 July 1960 (1960) TV episode .... Himself
    - Episode dated 16 May 1960 (1960) TV episode .... Himself
    12. "What's My Line?" .... Himself - Mystery Guest (1 episode, 1960)
    - Episode dated 15 May 1960 (1960) TV episode .... Himself - Mystery Guest
    13. "Toast of the Town" .... Himself (4 episodes, 1955-1959)
    ... aka "The Ed Sullivan Show" - USA (new title)
    - Episode #12.38 (1959) TV episode .... Himself
    - Episode #9.24 (1956) TV episode (uncredited) .... Himself
    - Episode #8.40 (1955) TV episode .... Himself
    - Episode #8.31 (1955) TV episode .... Himself
    14. The 31st Annual Academy Awards (1959) (TV) .... Himself - Presenter: Best Actress
    15. "Navy Log" .... Himself (1 episode, 1958)
    - The Lonely Watch (1958) TV episode .... Himself
    16. Short Cut to Hell (1957) (uncredited) .... Himself - Pre-credits sequence
    17. "The Bob Hope Show" .... Himself - Special Guest (1 episode, 1956)
    - Episode dated 8 October 1956 (1956) TV episode .... Himself - Special Guest
    18. The 28th Annual Academy Awards (1956) (TV) .... Himself - Co-Presenter: Best Special Effects
    19. "The Christophers" .... Himself (1 episode, 1955)
    - The Power of One Teacher (1955) TV episode .... Himself
    20. "This Is Your Life" .... Himself (1 episode, 1954)
    - William Wellman (1954) TV episode .... Himself
    21. Starlift (1951) .... Himself, Cameo appearance
    22. Battle Stations (1944) (voice) .... Narrator
    23. Show Business at War (1943) .... Himself
    24. Breakdowns of 1941 (1941) (uncredited) .... Himself
    25. Screen Snapshots Series 19, No. 9: Sports in Hollywood (1940) .... Himself, Polo Fan
    26. Hollywood Hobbies (1939) (uncredited) .... Himself
    27. For Auld Lang Syne (1938) (uncredited) .... Himself - Introducing arriving celebrities
    ... aka "For Auld Lang Syne #3" - USA (series title)
    28. Screen Snapshots Series 16, No. 1 (1936) .... Himself
    29. Screen Snapshots Series 14, No. 8 (1935) .... Himself
    30. A Trip Thru a Hollywood Studio (1935) (uncredited) .... Himself
    31. A Dream Comes True (1935) (also archive footage) (uncredited) .... Himself
    32. The Hollywood Gad-About (1934) .... Himself
    33. James Cagney (1931) .... Himself
    ... aka "Intimate Interviews: James Cagney" - USA (series title)
    34. How I Play Golf, by Bobby Jones No. 11: Practice Shots (1931) (uncredited) .... Himself
    ... aka "How I Play Golf, by Bobby Jones No. 11: 'Practice Shots'" - USA (complete title)

Archive Footage
    1. Close-Up (2011) .... Himself
    2. 1939: Hollywood's Greatest Year (2009) (TV)
    3. Public Enemies: The Golden Age of the Gangster Film (2008) (TV)
    4. Meurtres à l'Empire State Building (2008) (TV) .... Tony
    5. You Must Remember This: The Warner Bros. Story (2008) (V) .... Himself - Interviewee
    6. Amérique, notre histoire (2006) (TV) .... Himself
    7. Billy Wilder Speaks (2006) (TV) .... Himself
    8. Stardust: The Bette Davis Story (2006) (TV) (voice) .... Himself
    9. Bullets Over Hollywood (2005) (TV) .... Himself
    10. Remembering 'Ragtime' (2004) (V) (uncredited) .... NY Police Commissioner Rheinlander Waldo
    11. Behind the Tunes: Looney Tunes Go Hollywood (2004) (V) (uncredited) .... Tom Powers
    12. "Broadway: The American Musical"
    - Give My Regards to Broadway: 1893-1927 (2004) TV episode .... George M. Cohan
    13. Imaginary Witness: Hollywood and the Holocaust (2004)
    14. Complicated Women (2003) (TV) (uncredited) .... Himself
    15. Tupac: Resurrection (2003)
    16. "Great Performances"
    - The Great American Songbook (2003) TV episode
    17. James Cagney and Jack Warner (2003) (TV) .... Himself
    18. "Modern Marvels"
    - Prisons (2000) TV episode
    19. James Cagney on Film (1999) (V) .... Himself
    20. Hollywoodism: Jews, Movies and the American Dream (1998) (TV) .... Himself
    21. Warner Bros. 75th Anniversary: No Guts, No Glory (1998) (TV) (uncredited)
    22. "American Masters"
    - Vaudeville (1997) TV episode .... Himself
    23. Bogart: The Untold Story (1996) (TV) (uncredited) .... Actor in 'The Roaring Twenties'
    24. Wild Bill: Hollywood Maverick (1995) .... Himself
    25. Entertaining the Troops (1994) .... Himself
    26. L'oeil de Vichy (1993) (uncredited) .... Undetermined film role (gambling)
    27. James Cagney: Top of the World (1992) (TV)
    28. "Biography"
    - James Cagney: Top of the World (1992) TV episode .... Himself
    29. Fonda on Fonda (1992) (TV) (uncredited) .... Actor in 'Mister Roberts'
    30. Here's Looking at You, Warner Bros. (1991) (TV) .... Himself
    31. That's Dancing! (1985) .... Himself (clip from "Yankee Doodle Dandy")
    32. Hollywood Out-takes and Rare Footage (1983) (uncredited) .... Himself
    33. Showbiz Goes to War (1982) (TV)
    34. Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982) .... (in "White Heat")
    35. Fade to Black (1980) (uncredited)
    36. Kristina Talking Pictures (1976) (archive sound)
    37. America at the Movies (1976) .... George M. Cohan
    38. That's Entertainment, Part II (1976) (uncredited) .... Clip from 'Love Me or Leave Me'
    39. It's Showtime (1976)
    40. Brother Can You Spare a Dime (1975) .... Himself
    41. Hooray for Hollywood (1975) .... Himself
    42. "The World at War" (1973) (uncredited) .... Himself
    43. "Hollywood and the Stars"
    - Hollywood Goes to War (1964) TV episode .... Himself
    44. "Toast of the Town"
    - Episode #16.38 (1963) TV episode .... Captain - scene from 'Mr. Roberts'
    - Episode #12.26 (1959) TV episode .... Sean Lenihan
    45. "The DuPont Show of the Week"
    - America's Music - Regards to George M. Cohan (1962) TV episode .... George M. Cohan
    - USO - Wherever They Go! (1961) TV episode .... Himself
    46. When the Talkies Were Young (1955) (uncredited) .... Harry Deleon
    47. Okay for Sound (1946) .... Tommy Powers
    48. Oklahoma Outlaws (1943) (uncredited) .... Kincaid
    49. The Voice That Thrilled the World (1943) (uncredited) .... Himself (segment "Yankee Doodle Dandy")
    50. Calling All Girls (1942) .... Sailor - edited from: Footlight Parade
    51. Wild Boys of the Road (1933) (uncredited) .... Himself, film clip

Watch James Cagney Full Movies and Trailers:-

Jim's Video Gallery

Here is one:-

The Time of Your Life

The Time of Your Life

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 4 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Like chalk and cheese, Duke and Cagney.
    Even though they were so very different,
    I have to admit James Cagney was my second
    favourite movie star to the great man.
    However, I believe they both ended up on the same side politically!

The films that were great were numerous,
    White Heat, Yankee Doodle Dandy,
    Angels With Dirty Faces, The Strawberry Blonde
    to name a few.

Jimmy was so versatile, and for his size,
    playing the most menacing character's you would not wish to meet.
    In the next breath he was 'hoofing' his way across the stage
    with complete mastery of dance!

Who will ever forget him as Cody Jarrett,
    at the end of White Heat
    shooting into the tanks shouting

Made it, Ma! Top of the world!

and he sure did!!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 6 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Thought Cagney was at his very best in Yankee Doodle Dandy, White Heat and, Mister Roberts. But, I also liked him in The Fighting 69th, Roaring Twenties and, Angles With Dirty Faces. Funny, when you see the last two, Humphrey Bogart was just a co-star in them just before he went superstar. Read Cagney's biography years ago and it said that even though Cagney was a big star, he and his wife stayed away from all the glitz and glamour most of the time. To him, it was just a job that paid pretty good. Rarely went to parties or hit the clubs in Hollywood.

• Im as big a fan of James Francis Cagney as I am of Duke and others. I cant say what me alltime favorite Cagney movie is liek I cant say for Duke but, The Fighting 69th is one that will always be in the top five for Cagney.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I will say this. When ever I watch a Cagney movie it usally ends with a smile on my face. For I have been very entertained.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• I will say this. When ever I watch a Cagney movie it usally ends with a smile on my face. For I have been very entertained.

Hi Bill, Amen to that and, this gives me an idea on somehting that I will have made eventually, and would like to send to you. Im hoping to have it done in May providing I get the extra little bit of income im hoping for.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• This morning, after watching the clip of Duke on the Dean Martin show, speaking about his baby daughter Marisa, I came upon this clip, which I had not seen before. I guess that James Cagney was the second person honored by the AFI with their Lifetime Achievement Award (John Ford was the first!). Anyway, below you will see John Wayne at that event -

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

You will probably want to watch the other clips, of celebrities honoring Mr. Cagney.

And here's a GREAT clip of James Cagney and Bob Hope doing a dance routine!

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

Chester :newyear:

• james cagney is my favourite gangster actor. a wonderful actor could play any part.funny he won an oscar for yankee doodle dandy,especially when he made the best gangster films ever made.who could forget white heat and that famous line Made it, Ma! Top of the world.

• That second clip if from the movie Seven Little Foys in which Bop Hope played the great vaudevillian, Eddie Foy. And they got Cagney to do a cameo as George M. Cohan, the part he made so famous in Yankee Doodle Dandy. And in that movie, they had Eddie Foy Jr. play his father in a little schtick between him and Cohan playfully rib each other on who's the best.