Steve McQueen

There are 41 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 93,073 times. The latest Post () was by OriginalMexicanBob.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• STEVE McQUEEN

Information From IMDb

Date of Birth
    24 March 1930, Beech Grove, Indiana, USA

Date of Death
    7 November 1980, Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua, Mexico (heart attack following surgery)

Birth Name
    Terence Steven McQueen

Nickname
    Bandito
    King Of Cool
    Mac
    McQ

Trade Mark
    Usually played tough, sexy and determined.

Height
    5' 9½" (1.77 m)

Spouse
    Barbara Minty (16 January 1980 - 7 November 1980) (his death)
    Ali MacGraw (31 August 1973 - 1978) (divorced)
    Neile Adams (2 November 1956 - 26 April 1972) (divorced) 2 children

Trivia
    Of the 2000 performers that auditioned for Lee Strasberg's exclusive Actors' Studio in 1955, only two were accepted: Martin Landau and McQueen.

Ranked #30 in Empire (UK) magazine's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time" list. [October 1997]

A week before the Woodstock Music Festival kicked off in Bethel, New York, McQueen had been invited for dinner at the Roman Polanski-Sharon Tate home in the Hollywood hills by mutual friend and hairdresser-to the-stars, Jay Sebring. An unexpected rendezvous with a mystery woman prompted him to cancel his appointment. In the wake of the Manson Family Tate-LaBianca murders at, respectively, 10050 Cielo Drive and 3301 Waverly Drive, McQueen would later learn that he was accorded the kind of priority billing for which he was unprepared: he topped Charles Manson's celebrity death list. Thereafter he carried a concealed weapon. (see also: Jerzy Kosinski and Jeremy Lloyd.) [8 August 1969]

Although he was the highest paid star of the 1960s, McQueen had a reputation for being tight-fisted. On some films he would demand ten electric razors and dozens of pairs of jeans. It was later found that he gave this stuff to Boys Republic, a private school and treatment community for troubled youngsters, where he spent a few years himself.

Issued a private pilot's license by the FAA in 1979 after learning to fly in a Stearman bi-plane, which he purchased for that purpose. After his death it was sold at auction,along with his large collection of vehicles, in 1982.

Father of actor Chad McQueen and Terry McQueen.

Trained in Tang Soo Do with 9th degree blackbelt Pat E. Johnson (NOT Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris as is popularly believed.) His son was trained in karate by Norris. Lee trained him in Jeet Kune Do.

Served in the United States Marine Corps.

Was diagnosed with a form of lung cancer, mesothelioma, which is related to asbestos exposure, although McQueen had been a heavy smoker as well, which may have been a contributing factor. He wore an asbestos-insulated racers suit in his race cars, and possibly was exposed to the harmful insulating material during his stint in the Marines. His first wife recalled many instances when he had recklessly exposed himself to the harmful substance by soaking a rag in liquid asbestos and placing it over his mouth while racing cars.

Was cremated and had his ashes scattered into the Pacific Ocean

Chosen by Empire magazine as one of the 100 Sexiest Stars in film history (#19). [1995]

Was a pallbearer at the funeral of actor Bruce Lee.

Dropped out of school in 9th grade.

Former stepfather of Josh Evans.

He proposed the idea for a film The Bodyguard (1992) in 1976, but this was forgotten for 16 years until 1992, when Kevin Costner revived it.

His role in Never So Few (1959) was originally going to be played by Sammy Davis Jr.. A feud had broken out between Davis and Frank Sinatra after Davis had claimed in a radio interview that he was a greater singer than Sinatra. Sinatra demanded he be dropped from the cast, and thus McQueen received his breakthrough role.

Diagnosed with mesothelioma lung cancer on December 22, 1979, but kept his terminal illness a secret up until over a month before his death.

Died from two consecutive heart attacks at 3:45 am on November 7 1980, less than 24 hours after undergoing successful surgery to remove the malignant tumors in his stomach and lungs. According to the doctor present at the operation, his right lung was entirely cancerous.

Sheryl Crow made a song titled 'Steve McQueen' as a tribute to him. It is featured on the album "C'mon C'mon".

The original script of The Towering Inferno (1974) called for McQueen's character to have more lines of dialogue than that of Paul Newman's. McQueen insisted that the script be changed so that he and Newman would have the same number of lines. He believed that his talent was superior to Newman's and he wanted the critical criteria to be as equal as possible.

Was originally slated to star with Paul Newman in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969); however, due to a disagreement over the billing, he left the project. Ironically, the billing method was used several years later when he and Newman starred together in The Towering Inferno (1974).

He was very interested in playing John Rambo in the adaptation of the novel "First Blood". He was actually slated to star, but did not due to his death. Sylvester Stallone got the role instead in First Blood (1982).

The band Drive-By Truckers have the tribute song "Steve McQueen" featured on their 1998 album "Gangstabilly".

Along with Martin Sheen and James Dean, is mentioned in R.E.M.'s song "Electrolite".

After being told his lung cancer was inoperable, he went to a health clinic in Mexico to undergo a controversial "apricot pit" therapy that is still banned in the United States.

Was the first of the original The Magnificent Seven (1960) to pass away. Only Robert Vaughn and Eli Wallach are still alive (as of January 2010).

Appears, helmeted and uncredited, as a motorcyclist in the 1976 B-movie Dixie Dynamite (1976), starring Warren Oates and Christopher George. Legend has it that the call went out for dirt bike riders to take part in this low-budget action adventure, and among those who turned up was McQueen. Heavily bearded and overweight, he kept a low profile (this was during his reclusive period when he was turning down multi-million-dollar offers for such films as A Bridge Too Far (1977) and Apocalypse Now (1979)), and was only noticed when he queued up to accept his day's payment, about $120. The astonished production assistant handing out the cash saw his name on a list and said, "Is that THE Steve McQueen?". McQueen's riding style (standing on his foot pedals, leaning forward, head over the handlebars) makes him immediately identifiable to bike buffs.

He was voted the 56th Greatest Movie Star of all time by Entertainment Weekly.

The "King of Cool" became a born-again Christian shortly before he died, due to the influence of his third wife Barbara Minty and his flying instructor Sammy Mason. He went through bible studies with the Reverend Billy Graham. It is interesting to note that this conversion happened before he was diagnosed with cancer, meaning it was probably genuine. McQueen's favorite Bible verse was John 3:16 which reads, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life".

In the 1960s, he publicly threatened to break Howard Hughes' nose if Hughes did not stop harassing Mamie Van Doren, a woman both men had had affairs with, but at different times. Needless to say, Hughes never bothered Van Doren again.

Upon meeting Martin Landau, McQueen told Landau he had already met him. Landau, who didn't remember McQueen, inquired as to where. McQueen told him that he -- Landau -- was on the back of James Dean's motorcycle when Dean brought it in for repairs at a NYC garage. The motorcycle mechanic at the garage was none other than McQueen.

After the huge success of The Towering Inferno (1974), McQueen announced that any producer wishing to acquire his services would have to send a check for $1.5 million along with the script. If he liked the script and wanted to make the movie, he'd cash the check; the producer then owed him another $1.5 million. He'd keep his half of his $3 million salary if the producer couldn't come up with the other half. McQueen likely used this then-unprecedented pay-or-play arrangement to guarantee the six-year semi-retirement he undertook after "The Towering Inferno", in which he appeared in only one picture, the vanity project An Enemy of the People (1978). When he did return to commercial filmmaking, his price was $3 million.

He was voted the 31st Greatest Movie Star of all time by Premiere Magazine.

Appeared with James Coburn and Charles Bronson in two films, both of which were directed by John Sturges: The Magnificent Seven (1960) and The Great Escape (1963).

According to military records released by the Pentagon in 2005, Marine Private First Class Steve McQueen was confined to base for being absent without leave for 30 days and fined $90 after being AWOL from Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. McQueen joined the Marines Corps at 17 and worked as a tank driver and mechanic, which probably spurred his lifelong interest in vehicles, especially motorcycles. He received a commendation for rescuing five Marines in a training accident, and later took advantage of military educational benefits to study at the Actors' Studio in New York City.

Appeared with Eli Wallach in both his first major successful film, The Magnificent Seven (1960), and his final film, The Hunter (1980).

Appeared in three different films with Robert Vaughn: The Magnificent Seven (1960); Bullitt (1968) and The Towering Inferno (1974).

When he briefly left The Great Escape (1963) during filming, due to the fact that his character did not play as large a part as he would have liked, it was James Coburn and James Garner that convinced him to return. Because of its huge success and continuing popularity, it has become his best known role.

Always resented the fact that Horst Buchholz was cast as Chico in The Magnificent Seven (1960), the role he had initially wanted.

Like the coolest movie stars, was strongly connected to Triumph motorcycles, riding a 650cc TR6 Trophy in The Great Escape (1963) and competing on the same model in the 1964 International Six Days Trial held in East Germany. Photographs of his desert racing also show him upon this model. He also visited Triumph's Meriden factory in 1964 and 1965 for collection and preparation of his motorcycles.

In the movie S.W.A.T. (2003), Colin Farrell's character of Jim Street has a poster of McQueen's Bullitt (1968) in his apartment. In real life, Farrell frequently cites McQueen as one of his idols and influences as an actor.

In 1960 with his growing success he formed his own production company called Scuderia Condor Enterprises, which he ran until 1963 when he and his family moved to 2419 Solar Drive and he renamed his company to Solar Productons, Inc and would produce many films under this banner until his death.

Of all the characters he ever played, he frequently cited Lt. Frank Bullitt from Bullitt (1968) as his favorite.

The last words he uttered on screen were "God bless you" in The Hunter (1980).

His only two appearances at the Academy Awards was as a presenter: (1964) Presented the Oscar for Best Sound. (1965) Holding hands with Claudia Cardinale presented the Oscar again for Best Sound

Shortly before filming began on Tom Horn (1980), he had quit smoking cigarettes. His somewhat "squashed" appearance in the movie was due to a crash diet.

Former father-in-law of Stacey Toten.

Grandfather of Steven R. McQueen.

McQueen's name somehow appeared on President Richard Nixon's "List of Enemies" in 1972. In reality, McQueen was conservative in his political beliefs, with a strong belief in self-help. In 1963, he had declined to participate in the March on Washington for civil rights and, in 1968, he refused to join many of his Hollywood peers in supporting Senator Robert F. Kennedy's presidential campaign. An incredulous Ali MacGraw asked McQueen how he could have been considered a threat by Nixon, adding, "You are the most patriotic person I know!" McQueen responded to the whole affair by flying an enormous American flag outside his house.

Was William Friedkin's first choice for the Jackie Scanlon character in Sorcerer (1977). McQueen accepted the part, but on one condition. He wanted a co-starring role for his then wife, Ali MacGraw. Friedkin would not accept his conditions, and McQueen dropped out of the film. Freidkin later went on record has having regretted not accepting McQueen's conditions.

Before his death, McQueen optioned two screenplays from Walter Hill: The Driver (1978) and "The Last Gun". The Driver (1978) got made later, with 'Ryan O'Neal (I)' playing the lead part, and "The Last Gun" remains unproduced.

Some of the few movie stars he admired were Humphrey Bogart, James Cagney, Spencer Tracy
    and
    John Wayne.

After The Towering Inferno (1974) he was offered several multi-million-dollar roles but refused them all. He turned down the chance to star in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977), Superman (1978), Raise the Titanic (1980) and the opportunity to star in and direct a film called "Deajum's Wife".

Turned down a role for the sequel to The Towering Inferno (1974) in 1977.

Died of the same cause (lung cancer) as his The Magnificent Seven (1960) co-star Yul Brynner, though McQueen's cancer was brought on by exposure to asbestos and Brynner's was due to smoking.

Felt ill during the filming of Tom Horn (1980), and assumed he had pneumonia. However, towards the end of filming McQueen had begun to cough up blood. On 22 December 1979, after filming had finished, he was diagnosed with cancer.

Following the release of Bullitt (1968) McQueen found it hilarious how he was considered the coolest celebrity by teenagers, despite being nearly forty. In that same year he declared his support for the Vietnam War and voted for Richard Nixon in November's presidential election.

Homer Simpson named McQueen as his personal hero in "The Simpsons" (1989) episode "Saturdays of Thunder (1991)".

Was offered the co-starring role in Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961). However, he was still under contract for his TV series "Wanted: Dead or Alive" (1958), which prevented him from appearing. The role eventually went to George Peppard.

In 1973 McQueen flew to England to meet Oliver Reed and discuss a possible film collaboration. "Reed showed me his country mansion and we got on well," recalled McQueen. "He then suggested he take me to his favorite London nightclub." The drinking, which started at Reed's home, Broome Hall, continued into the night until Reed could hardly stand. Suddenly, and with no apparent warning, he vomited over McQueen's shirt and trousers. "The staff rushed around and found me some new clothes, but they couldn't get me any shoes," said McQueen. "I had to spend the rest of the night smelling of Oliver Reed's sick.".

Turned down the role in Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice (1969).

Turned down Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977). McQueen told director Steven Spielberg he couldn't play a character who was too emotionally oriented.

Inducted into the Hall of Great Western Performers in April 2007.

He did not like gratuitous violence, swearing or nudity in movies.

Was considered for the role of Col. Kurtz in Apocalypse Now (1979). The part eventually went to Marlon Brando.

At one point he approached playwright Samuel Beckett with an idea for filming the play "Waiting for Godot", but Becket had never heard of him.

Intended to retire after filming The Towering Inferno (1974).

Eagerly sought Gregory Peck's role in Mackenna's Gold (1969).

Inducted into the Off-Road Motorsports Hall of Fame in 1978.

After Rex Harrison and Audrey Hepburn, McQueen was the celebrity most sought out by the press at the premiere of My Fair Lady (1964).

Turned down Clint Eastwood's role in Dirty Harry (1971).

Inducted into the Motorcycle Hall of Fame in 1999.

His friend and co-star Richard Attenborough said that if McQueen had lived for longer he would have been regarded as the greatest film actor since Spencer Tracy.

British band Prefab Sprout used his name for the title of their second album, released in 1985. Due to objections from the late actor's estate, the album was issued with the alternative title of "Two Wheels Good" in the United States.

He later regretted turning down Roy Scheider's role in Sorcerer (1977).

Profiled in "Back in the Saddle: Essays on Western Film and Television Actors", Gary Yoggy, ed. (McFarland, 1998).

Kevin Costner has named McQueen as his favorite actor, and his main influence as an actor.

Turned down Gene Hackman's Oscar winning role as drug-busting cop Jimmy "Popeye" Doyle in The French Connection (1971) because he thought the movie was too similar to Bullitt (1968).

Quigley Down Under (1990) was written for McQueen in the 1970s.

Made headlines when accepting the lead in Tai-Pan (1986) for an unheard of $10 million, for which he was given a $1 million fee up front. His health declined, however, and he died before the producers were able to raise the necessary capital for production. It was eventually released six years after McQueen's death, with Bryan Brown in the lead.

Was considered, but ultimately rejected, for the role of Jay Gatsby in The Great Gatsby (1974).

Actors Colin Farrell, Kevin Costner, Pierce Brosnan and Bruce Willis have all listed McQueen as their hero and inspiration for being an actor.

Turned down Clint Eastwood's role in The Gauntlet (1977) because he didn't want to work with the first choice for the female lead, Barbra Streisand.

He had expressed interest in starring in Return of the Seven (1966), but Yul Brynner vetoed the idea.

Turned down Marlon Brando's role in The Missouri Breaks (1976) and George C. Scott's role in Islands in the Stream (1977) because he claimed to be completely retired from acting.

Turned down lead roles in The Victors (1963) and King Rat (1965) because he didn't want to become typecast in war movies.

Turned down Ocean's Eleven (1960) on the advice of his friend Hedda Hopper, who told him to be his own man rather than Frank Sinatra's "flunky".

On 21 March 1967, three days before his 37th birthday, he became the 153rd star to put his hand prints and footprints on the forecourt of Grauman's Chinese Theater.

Former longtime girlfriend, Barbara Leigh, wrote about their relationship in her book "The King, McQueen, and the Love Machine.".

Turned down a role in A Bridge Too Far (1977) because he only wanted top billing roles, not all-star assembled projects.

Personal Quotes
    In my own mind, I'm not sure that acting is something for a grown man to be doing.

[From TV Guide]: When a horse learns to buy martinis, I'll learn to like horses.

I don't believe in that phony hero stuff.

If I hadn't made it as an actor, I might have wound up a hood.

There's something about my shaggy-dog eyes that makes people think I'm good.

When I believe in something, I fight like hell for it.

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke [John Wayne]

I live for myself and I answer to nobody.

Stardom equals freedom. It's the only equation that matters.

I just want the pine trees and my kids and the green grass. I want to get rich and fat and watch my children grow.

An actor is a puppet, manipulated by a dozen other people. Auto racing has dignity. But you need the same absolute concentration. You have to reach inside yourself and bring forth a lot of broken glass.

Stardom equals financial success, and financial success equals security. I've spent too much of my life feeling insecure.

I really don't like to act. At the beginning, back in '51, I had to force myself to stick with it. I was real uncomfortable, real uncomfortable.

When a kid didn't have any love when he was small, he begins to wonder if he's good enough. You know if my mother didn't love me, and I didn't have a father, I mean, well, I guess I'm not very good.

You only say what's important and you own the scene.

I worked hard, and if you work hard you get the goodies.

I'm not sure whether I'm an actor who races or a racer who acts.

The main thing I was shooting for was not to make bucks but to have something I could believe in. - On An Enemy of the People (1978)

I am a limited actor. My range isn't that great and I don't have that much scope. I'm pretty much myself most of the time in my movies and I have accepted that.

The Marines gave me discipline I could live with. By the time I got out I could deal with things on a more realistic level. All in all, despite my problems, I liked my time in the Marines.

I believe in me. I'm a little screwed up but I'm beautiful.

They call me a chauvinist pig - I am and I don't give a damn!

I have to be careful because I'm a limited actor. I mean, my range isn't very great. There's a whole lot of stuff I can't do, so I have to find characters and situations that feel right. Even then, when I've got something that fits, it's a hell of a lot of work. I'm not a serious actor. There's something about my shaggy-dog eyes that makes people think I'm good. I'm not all that good.

I'm out of the Midwest. It was a good place to come from. It gives you a sense of right or wrong and fairness, which is lacking in our society.

Listen, in Taiwan most people don't know who Lyndon Johnson is, but they sure as hell know who John Wayne is.

If a guy like him can become a star, what'll happen to guys like Newman and me? - On Dustin Hoffman

Every time I look in the rear-view mirror, I see Robert Redford.

Salary
    The Hunter (1980) $3,000,000 + 15% of gross
    Tom Horn (1980) 3,000,000 + 10% of the gross
    An Enemy of the People (1978) $1,500 a week
    The Towering Inferno (1974) $1,500,000 + 10% of the gross
    Papillon (1973) $2,300,000 + % of gross
    The Getaway (1972) No up front fee in exchange for 10% of the gross.
    Junior Bonner (1972) $500,000
    Le Mans (1971) $750,000 + % of the gross
    The Reivers (1969) $700,000
    Bullitt (1968) $1,000,000
    The Thomas Crown Affair (1968) $700,000
    The Sand Pebbles (1966) $250,000
    Nevada Smith (1966) $500,000
    Love with the Proper Stranger (1963) $300,000
    Soldier in the Rain (1963) $300,000
    The Great Escape (1963) $400,000
    The War Lover (1962) $75,000
    Hell Is for Heroes (1962) $150,000
    The Honeymoon Machine (1961) $100,000
    The Magnificent Seven (1960) $100,000
    Never So Few (1959) $75,000
    The St. Louis Bank Robbery (1959) $4,000
    The Blob (1958) $3,000
    Somebody Up There Likes Me (1956) $19/day

Mini Biography
    He was the ultra-cool male film star of the 1960s, and rose from a troubled youth spent in reform schools to being the world's most popular actor. Over 25 years after his untimely death from mesothelioma in 1980, Steve McQueen is still considered hip and cool, and he endures as an icon of popular culture.

His first lead role was in the low-budget sci-fi film The Blob (1958), quickly followed by roles in The St. Louis Bank Robbery (1959) and Never So Few (1959). The young McQueen appeared as Vin, alongside Yul Brynner, in the star-laden The Magnificent Seven (1960) and effectively hijacked the lead from the bigger star by ensuring he was nearly always doing something in every shot he and Brynner were in together, such as adjusting his hat or gun belt. He next scored with audiences with two interesting performances, first in the WW2 drama Hell Is for Heroes (1962) and then in The War Lover (1962). Riding a wave of popularity, McQueen delivered another crowd pleaser as Hilts, the Cooler King, in the knockout WW2 POW film The Great Escape (1963), featuring his famous leap over the barbed wire on a motorcycle while being pursued by Nazi troops (in fact, however, the stunt was actually performed by his good friend, stunt rider Bud Ekins).

McQueen next appeared in several films of mixed quality, including Soldier in the Rain (1963); Love with the Proper Stranger (1963) and Baby the Rain Must Fall (1965). However, they failed to really grab audience attention, but his role as Eric Stoner in The Cincinnati Kid (1965), alongside screen legend Edward G. Robinson and Karl Malden, had movie fans filling theaters again to see the ice-cool McQueen they loved. He was back in another western, Nevada Smith (1966), again with Malden, and then he gave what many consider to be his finest dramatic performance as loner US Navy sailor Jake Holman in the superb The Sand Pebbles (1966). McQueen was genuine hot property and next appeared with Faye Dunaway in the provocative crime drama The Thomas Crown Affair (1968), next in what many consider his signature role, that of a maverick, taciturn detective in the mega-hit Bullitt (1968), renowned for its famous chase sequence through San Francisco between McQueen's Ford Mustang and the killer's black Dodge Charger.

Interestingly, McQueen's next role was a total departure from the action genre, as he played Southerner Boon Hogganbeck in the family-oriented The Reivers (1969), based on the popular William Faulkner novel. Not surprisingly, the film didn't go over particularly well with audiences, even though it was an entertaining and well made production, and McQueen showed an interesting comedic side of his acting talents. He returned to more familiar territory in 1971, with the race film Le Mans (1971), a rather self-indulgent exercise, and its slow plot line contributed to its rather poor performance in theaters. It wasn't until many years later that it became something of a cult film, primarily because of the footage of Porsche 917s roaring around race tracks in France. McQueen then teamed up with maverick Hollywood director Sam Peckinpah to star in the modern western Junior Bonner (1972), about a family of rodeo riders, and again with Peckinpah as bank robber Doc McCoy in the violent The Getaway (1972). Both did good business at the box office. McQueen's next role was a refreshing surprise and Papillon (1973), based on the Henri Charrière novel of the same name, was well received by fans and critics alike. He plays a convict on a French penal colony in South America who persists in trying to escape from his captors and feels their wrath when his attempts fail.

The 1970s is a decade remembered for a slew of "disaster" movies and McQueen starred in arguably the biggest of the time, The Towering Inferno (1974). He shared equal top billing with Paul Newman and an impressive line-up of co-stars including Fred Astaire, Robert Vaughn and Faye Dunaway. McQueen does not appear until roughly halfway into the film as San Francisco fire chief Mike O'Halloran, battling to extinguish an inferno in a 138-story skyscraper. The film was a monster hit and set the benchmark for other disaster movies that followed. It was, however, McQueen's last film role for several years, as he began a long fight against cancer, often resorting to offbeat therapies in an attempt to beat the disease. After a four-year hiatus he surprised fans, and was almost unrecognizable under long hair and a beard, as a rabble-rousing early environmentalist in An Enemy of the People (1978), based on the Henrik Ibsen play.

By 1979, the spreading cancer was taking its toll on his body. McQueen's last two film performances were in the unusual western Tom Horn (1980), then he portrayed real-life bounty hunter Ralph "Papa' Thorson (Ralph Thorson) in The Hunter (1980). Steve McQueen passed away on November 7, 1980, only 50 years of age, and his ashes were scattered at sea. He married three times and had a lifelong love of motor racing, once remarking, "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting."
    IMDb Mini Biography By: firehouse44

Filmography

Actor
    1. The Hunter (1980) .... Ralph 'Papa' Thorson
    2. Tom Horn (1980) .... Tom Horn
    3. An Enemy of the People (1978) .... Doctor Thomas Stockmann
    4. Dixie Dynamite (1976) (uncredited) .... Dirt-bike Rider
    5. The Towering Inferno (1974) .... Fire Chief Michael O'Hallorhan
    6. Papillon (1973) .... Henri 'Papillon' Charriere
    7. The Getaway (1972) .... Doc McCoy
    8. Junior Bonner (1972) .... Junior 'JR' Bonner
    9. Le Mans (1971) .... Michael Delaney
    10. The Reivers (1969) .... Boon Hogganbeck
    11. Bullitt (1968) .... Bullitt
    12. The Thomas Crown Affair (1968) .... Thomas Crown
    13. The Sand Pebbles (1966) .... Jake Holman
    14. Nevada Smith (1966) .... Nevada Smith / Max Sand / Fitch
    15. The Cincinnati Kid (1965) .... The Cincinnati Kid
    16. Baby the Rain Must Fall (1965) .... Henry Thomas
    17. Love with the Proper Stranger (1963) .... Rocky Papasano
    18. Soldier in the Rain (1963) .... Sgt. Eustis Clay
    19. The Great Escape (1963) .... Capt. Hilts "The Cooler King"
    20. The War Lover (1962) .... Capt. Buzz Rickson
    21. Hell Is for Heroes (1962) .... Reese
    22. The Honeymoon Machine (1961) .... Lt. Ferguson 'Fergie' Howard
    23. "Wanted: Dead or Alive" .... Josh Randall (94 episodes, 1958-1961)
    - Barney's Bounty (1961) TV episode .... Josh Randall
    - Dead Reckoning (1961) TV episode .... Josh Randall
    - The Long Search (1961) TV episode .... Josh Randall
    - Monday Morning (1961) TV episode .... Josh Randall
    - Detour (1961) TV episode .... Josh Randall
    (89 more)
    24. The Magnificent Seven (1960) .... Vin
    25. "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" .... Bill Everett / ... (2 episodes, 1959-1960)
    - Man from the South (1960) TV episode .... Gambler
    - Human Interest Story (1959) TV episode .... Bill Everett
    26. Never So Few (1959) .... Bill Ringa
    ... aka "Campaign Burma" - USA (alternative title)
    27. The St. Louis Bank Robbery (1959) .... George Fowler
    ... aka "The Great St. Louis Bank Robbery" - USA (poster title)
    28. The Blob (1958) (as Steven McQueen) .... Steve Andrews
    29. Never Love a Stranger (1958) .... Martin Cabell
    30. "Trackdown" .... Josh Randall - Bounty Hunter / ... (2 episodes, 1958)
    - The Brothers (1958) TV episode .... Mat Cody/Wes Cody
    - The Bounty Hunter (1958) TV episode .... Josh Randall - Bounty Hunter
    31. "Tales of Wells Fargo" .... Bill Longley (1 episode, 1958)
    - Bill Longley (1958) TV episode .... Bill Longley
    32. "Climax!" .... Anthony Reeves / ... (1 episode, 1958)
    ... aka "Climax Mystery Theater" - USA (alternative title)
    - Four Hours in White (1958) TV episode .... Henry Reeves/Anthony Reeves
    33. "The 20th Century-Fox Hour" .... Kinsella (1 episode, 1957)
    - Deep Water (1957) TV episode .... Kinsella
    34. "West Point" (1 episode, 1957)
    - Ambush (1957) TV episode
    35. "Studio One" .... Joseph Gordon (2 episodes, 1957)
    ... aka "Studio One Summer Theatre" - USA (summer title)
    ... aka "Studio One in Hollywood" - USA (new title)
    ... aka "Summer Theatre" - USA (summer title)
    ... aka "Westinghouse Studio One" - USA (alternative title)
    ... aka "Westinghouse Summer Theatre" - USA (summer title)
    - The Defender: Part 2 (1957) TV episode (as Steven McQueen) .... Joseph Gordon
    - The Defender: Part 1 (1957) TV episode (as Steven McQueen) .... Joseph Gordon
    36. Somebody Up There Likes Me (1956) (uncredited) .... Fidel
    37. "The United States Steel Hour" .... Bushy (1 episode, 1956)
    ... aka "The U.S. Steel Hour" - USA (alternative title)
    - Bring Me a Dream (1956) TV episode .... Bushy
    38. "Goodyear Television Playhouse" (1 episode, 1955)
    ... aka "Goodyear Playhouse" - USA (new title)
    - The Chivington Raid (1955) TV episode
    39. Girl on the Run (1953) (uncredited) .... Extra
    ... aka "Honky Tonk Burlesque" - USA (alternative title)

Producer
    1. Tom Horn (1980) (executive producer)
    2. An Enemy of the People (1978) (executive producer)
    3. On Any Sunday (1971) (producer) (uncredited)

Transportation Department
    1. Le Mans (1971) (driver: racing cars)

Stunts
    1. Bullitt (1968) (stunts) (uncredited)

Soundtrack
    1. Baby the Rain Must Fall (1965) (performer: "Baby, The Rain Must Fall")

Self
    1. The American Film Institute Salute to James Cagney (1974) (TV) .... Himself
    2. Li Xiao Long di Sheng yu si (1973) (uncredited) .... Himself
    ... aka "Bruce Lee: The Man and the Legend" - USA
    3. The Magnificent Rebel (1973) .... Himself
    4. On Any Sunday (1971) .... Himself
    5. The 43rd Annual Academy Awards (1971) (TV) .... Himself - Presenter: Best Picture
    6. 'Bullitt': Steve McQueen's Commitment to Reality (1968) .... Himself
    7. "The Joey Bishop Show" .... Himself (1 episode, 1967)
    - Episode dated 21 December 1967 (1967) TV episode .... Himself
    8. Think Twentieth (1967) .... Himself
    9. "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson" .... Himself - Guest (1 episode, 1966)
    ... aka "The Best of Carson" - USA (rerun title)
    - Episode dated 19 December 1966 (1966) TV episode .... Himself - Guest
    10. "What's My Line?" .... Mystery Guest (1 episode, 1966)
    - Episode dated 18 December 1966 (1966) TV episode .... Mystery Guest
    11. The 37th Annual Academy Awards (1965) (TV) .... Himself - Co-Presenter: Best Sound
    12. The 36th Annual Academy Awards (1964) (TV) .... Himself - Presenter: Best Sound
    13. "Here's Hollywood" .... Himself (1 episode, 1962)
    - Episode dated 7 August 1962 (1962) TV episode .... Himself
    14. "The Perry Como Show" .... Himself (1 episode, 1960)
    ... aka "Perry Como's Kraft Music Hall" - USA (new title)
    - Episode dated 4 May 1960 (1960) TV episode .... Himself
    15. "Toast of the Town" .... Himself (1 episode, 1958)
    ... aka "The Ed Sullivan Show" - USA (new title)
    - Episode #12.2 (1958) TV episode .... Himself

Archive Footage
    1. Boffo! Tinseltown's Bombs and Blockbusters (2006)
    2. San Sebastián 2005: Crónica de Carlos Boyero (2005) (TV) (uncredited) .... Jake Holman
    3. Steve McQueen: The Essence of Cool (2005) (TV) (archive sound) .... Himself - interviewee
    4. Dust to Glory (2005) .... Himself
    5. Sam Peckinpah's West: Legacy of a Hollywood Renegade (2004) (TV) .... Himself
    6. The People's Hollywood (2003) (TV) .... Himself
    7. Steve McQueen and Ali Mac Graw (2003) (TV) .... Himself
    8. "The Hollywood Greats"
    - Steve McQueen (2002) TV episode .... Himself
    9. The Unbeatable Bruce Lee (2001) (V) .... Himself
    10. Guns for Hire: The Making of 'The Magnificent Seven' (2000) (TV) .... Himself
    11. Twentieth Century Fox: The Blockbuster Years (2000) (TV) .... Chief Michael O'Hallorhan/Himself
    12. "E! True Hollywood Story"
    - Steve McQueen (1998) TV episode .... Himself
    13. Steve McQueen: The King of Cool (1998) (TV) .... Himself
    14. Warner Bros. 75th Anniversary: No Guts, No Glory (1998) (TV) (uncredited)
    15. The Path of the Dragon (1998) (V) .... Himself
    16. The Fantasy Worlds of Irwin Allen (1995) (TV) .... Himself
    17. "Fame in the Twentieth Century" (1993) (uncredited) .... Himself
    18. Ca détourne (1992) (TV) .... Private eye
    19. Death in Hollywood (1990) (V) .... Himself
    20. Monsters & Maniacs (1988) (V) .... Himself
    21. The Ultimate Stuntman: A Tribute to Dar Robinson (1987) (TV) .... Himself
    22. Un adiós a Steve McQueen (1981) .... Himself
    23. Bruce Lee, the Legend (1977) .... Himsel

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Terence Stephen "Steve" McQueen was an American actor.
    He was nicknamed "The King of Cool."
    His "anti-hero" persona, which he developed at the height of the Vietnam counterculture,
    made him one of the top box-office draws of the 1960s and 1970s.
    McQueen received an Academy Award nomination for his role in The Sand Pebbles.
    His other popular films include The Thomas Crown Affair, Bullitt, The Getaway, and Papillon,
    as well as the all-star ensemble films The Magnificent Seven, The Great Escape,
    and The Towering Inferno.
    In 1974, he became the highest-paid movie star in the world,
    although he then completely stopped acting for four years.
    McQueen was combative with directors and producers,
    but his popularity put him in high demand and enabled him to command large salaries.

Steve McQueen was the true screen legend,
    dying so young, was such a waste, of his young life,
    and a sad loss to the silver screen.
    He quickly became a cult figure of the movie world.
    I have yet to meet anyone, who didn't like and or admire Steve,
    and there's no denying he was an immense and most popular talented actor.
    He was greatly admired by many movie stars,
    some citing Steve as their inspiration.
    However, it is known that McQueen
    admired amongst others John Wayne

Sometime's kids ask me what a pro is..

said McQueen

I just point to the Duke

A great legacy to still be seen in
    The Great Escape, Tom Horn, The Magnificent Seven
    and other wonderful movies.

For the fans of Steve here is

The Official Steve McQueen Web-Site

To echo Steve's very last words in a movie

GOD BLESS YOU

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 8 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Steve also said "When kids ask me what a pro is, I just point to the Duke".

We deal in lead, friend.

Hi Gorch,
    I thought we had correctly posted Steve's quote from
    Duke: The Life and Image of John Wayne- Ronald L. Davis
    and IMDb,
    Or is there another way of saying it???

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 6 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Hi Ethan. Didn't mean to be redundant, just missed the quote.
    I met McQueen in 1972 when I was stationed at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio. We had heard he was in town and shooting at the San Antone depot, so I went with a friend to rubberneck.
    There was security around the filming, but McQueen was sitting shirtless on a lawn chair, sunning himself and drinking beers from a cooler. He saw our uniforms and motioned us over. He asked where we were from and knew both of our local hometown breweries. Very impressive.
    We shot the breeze for a couple minutes and then left. We thought he was a pretty nice guy, but later learned he had probably just slept with co star Ali MacGraw. We also realized that he never offered us one of his beers.

We deal in lead, friend.

• It would have been interesting to see what roles Steve Mc Queen would have done if he had not died at 50. I think Mr Eastwood would have had competition.

Some of the roles he turned down or didnt make according to Marshall Terrill book are

Ocean's 11, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Triple Cross, Ice Station Zebra, Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid, Dirty Harry, French Connection, Play Misty for Me, Rambo First Blood, One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, Apocalypse Now, Raid on Entebbe, Bridge to Far, The Gauntlet, The Driver, Close Encounters, The Bodyguard,Convoy and Superman!!

• I can't even begin to tell you all how much Mr. McQueen means to me. He's everything in a man I strive to be. He's a great father, he's a good kind sweet man, he's a naturally brilliant actor. He's everything to me. I find it horrid that he didn't win the Oscar for "The Sand Pebbles". He more than deserved to have won it. Also, I find it absurd he was never Oscar nominated agin. He should have been nominated many many times. I just love him sooo much!! I also love his son and grandson Steven.

• I can't even begin to tell you all how much Mr. McQueen means to me. He's everything in a man I strive to be. He's a great father, he's a good kind sweet man, he's a naturally brilliant actor. He's everything to me. I find it horrid that he didn't win the Oscar for "The Sand Pebbles". He more than deserved to have won it. Also, I find it absurd he was never Oscar nominated agin. He should have been nominated many many times. I just love him sooo much!! I also love his son and grandson Steven.

I'm with you on this.

Just think in the beginning, this forum 'almost' became a Steve McQueen fan forum!

• While I'm sure it would have been a great forum honoring Steve McQueen, I think you made the right choice going with Duke, Kevin. :wink_smile:

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• While I'm sure it would have been a great forum honoring Steve McQueen, I think you made the right choice going with Duke, Kevin. :wink_smile:

Mark

Quite right Mark,
    I didn't mind profiling him among the Screen Legends,
    but I sure would not have had any enthusiam
    to post all his Movie profiles.

Long may Duke reign

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Thanks for this thread, it's so interesting. I have just recently read an article about Ali MacGraw in which she talks about her life with Steve. ( Vanity Fair March 2010 ) It has some nice background information in it and some good candid photos of them together, just thought I'd mention it. Reading the article has made me want to watch " The Getaway ", which I'm planning to after my JW movie weekend fest I'm planning this weekend.....can't get to celebrations !!!! :sad_smile:

• McQueen is my favorite actor. Sort of the big brother - The Duke being the father figure (my father died when I was 5).
    Thanks to my work regarding Peckinpah I became good friends with Ali and people who knew him well and I still remember the day I first heard that he passed away.

What I'm looking for for some time now is a picture of Duke/Steve in good quality. Anybody? As you know, I have always stuff for trade. A hi-res scan would be good enough.

A few exist from an event in LA in 1969. But I have none in decent quality to frame one.

• Soon as i can figure out a way, I want to see if someone here can post a few Steve McQueen photos i recently picked up. One is of him in: Wanted Dead or Alive and is a press release pic with the news ticke still attached. At the same time, i got a 2nd mcQueen press release pic-this one of him in: Hell is For heroes. i have a few other HiFH pics as well.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• IF this works? you should see my studio press release photo of Steve McQueen in: Wanted: Dead or Alive.

• HEYYYYYYYYY, it worked. However, I only intended to post the Steve McQueen stuff but, thats Ok, you got 5 for one attempt.

The first two show Steve McQueen in Wanted Dead or Alive as well as the newsticker attached to it. The next is Steve McQueen in: Hell Is For Heroes along with the newsticker and the last one is my one and only from: Gunga Din.

Hey Keith, if you see these? please post them in their appropriate movies and TV series threads. Ill start posting more as time goes on and will give info on them at the same time. Tomorrow I migh post my 2 images and actors prints from: Battleground, the certificate of authenticity for the Battleground Thompson Familly Archive photo purchase I made last year from actor Marshall Thompsons Daughter-Janet, and my two images from the Ronald Reagan Korean War War Movie classic: Prisoner of War.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• HEYYYYYYYYY, it worked. However, I only intended to post the Steve McQueen stuff but, thats Ok, you got 5 for one attempt.

The first two show Steve McQueen in Wanted Dead or Alive as well as the newsticker attached to it. The next is Steve McQueen in: Hell Is For Heroes along with the newsticker and the last one is my one and only from: Gunga Din.

Hey Keith, if you see these? please post them in their appropriate movies and TV series threads. Ill start posting more as time goes on and will give info on them at the same time. Tomorrow I migh post my 2 images and actors prints from: Battleground, the certificate of authenticity for the Battleground Thompson Familly Archive photo purchase I made last year from actor Marshall Thompsons Daughter-Janet, and my two images from the Ronald Reagan Korean War War Movie classic: Prisoner of War.

Hi Carl, I copied over the McQueen ones, for you

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• One of the contributers to this forum, JuniorMike, has co-authored a new book "Steve McQueen - the Actor and his Films" which is on sale at Amazon.
    The book is a massive coffee table volume and filled with rare movie scene stills and candid images. It is very well researched and richly detailed.
    Mike is probably reluctant to tout his own handiwork, but I've got my copy of this and have spent many hours with my nose stuck in it since Christmas.
    Extremely well done and recommended.

We deal in lead, friend.