Circus World (1964)

There are 196 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 189,034 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I first watched it on Laserdisc back in the early 90s. It was released in it's proper widescreen ratio, with 6 channel stereo seperation. Like others have mentioned, the film loses a lot when you see it on VHS, because you are losing so much of the picture image. I currently own the DVD from France, which is really the only good version out there right now (the Asian ones are full screen as well). But the good news is that Disney recently purchased the rights to all the Bronston epics, and Circus World is scheduled to be released in region 1 either late this year or early next year.

• I first watched it on Laserdisc back in the early 90s. It was released in it's proper widescreen ratio, with 6 channel stereo separation. Like others have mentioned, the film loses a lot when you see it on VHS, because you are losing so much of the picture image. I currently own the DVD from France, which is really the only good version out there right now (the Asian ones are full screen as well). But the good news is that Disney recently purchased the rights to all the Bronston epics, and Circus World is scheduled to be released in region 1 either late this year or early next year.

Are they releasing all the Bronston epics? Did they specifically say Circus World? Where did you hear this? And when did this come out? This is good news. I'd like to complete my 60s and 70's John Wayne movie collection.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• This was originally posted back in December 2006 on the HTF.

According to a post on DVD Times Forum, Movies Unlimited say that Weinstein have acquired the rights to the Samuel Bronston epics Fall Of The Roman Empire, El Cid, 55 Days At Peking and Circus World and plan a mid-2007 DVD release.

So far, Fall of the Roman Empire and El Cid have gotten the deluxe treatment. 55 Days and Circus World should be completed by the end of this year, or early next.

• This was originally posted back in December 2006 on the HTF.

According to a post on DVD Times Forum, Movies Unlimited say that Weinstein have acquired the rights to the Samuel Bronston epics Fall Of The Roman Empire, El Cid, 55 Days At Peking and Circus World and plan a mid-2007 DVD release.

So far, Fall of the Roman Empire and El Cid have gotten the deluxe treatment. 55 Days and Circus World should be completed by the end of this year, or early next.

Thanks for the information. Have you seen Fall of the Roman Empire or El Cid? I heard that they were good movies. Exciting about Circus World. Can't wait.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• In 1965,I watched this movie in theatre.
    and as falc04 already menntioned,DVD of Circus World have been released
    in Japan, with degital new master,scopesize(16:9LB) ,4.0 ch dolby degital sound
    but region 2(not seen in states).
    This is not a western film ,but has a very interesting story,i like this movie.

Regards, H.sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• HONDO: EL CID is a very good film about spain's 11th century hero.also you can't go wrong with a beautiful sophia loren.a most see.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• It has been some time since I last saw Circus World. Not his best work, but they did'nt exactly surround DUKE in this movie with a stellar cast either. Has some great scenes especially when the trapeze artist is flung into the water and then the ship capsizes.
    Saw this on TV, and thats more years then I care to admit pilgrims.

Regards
    Ethan

Don't Believe In Surrenders!!!!!

• Thanks for the info on release in DVD format falc04, I like 55 days in Peking ( boxer rebellion ) and have the vhs of C World. Not top of my jw list and yet it improves with repeat viewing something I find with a lot of the non Western/War JWs

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Hi,
    Well he's a good one to discuss, in my opinion, for what it's worth, not one of the better ones!
    Claudia Cardinale, was nice to look at, but she couldn't act, to save her trapeze act!!
    All in all, a pretty, unbelievable, poor film!

I still stand by my original feelings about this film

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Watching Circus World/Magnificent Showman tonight I must admit that I had low expectations and was checking the DVD print out that I had taped.

Film is at best fair and worst poor. Good points are that Duke is virtually in every scene. Bad points are lousy script and poor performance particularly Claudia Cardinale (cheap Bridget Bardot) and Rita Hayworth who were annoying and gave sloppy poor performances.

I have seen more tedious movies but it is a contender. You would watch it once
    and then put it away for about 10 years.

Print was very faded. Crowd scenes look like black & white at one point I wondered where they actually back projection. Bronston movies tended to be thrown together i.e get a number of stars and a general idea for a movie and run with it. Would Capra have saved it ? Somehow I doubt it.

Out of curiousity does anyone have the DVD release and is the print any better? I dont think I would buy the DVD the one I made will suffice fo once every ten year viewings.

Mike

• Circus World is not that bad. I like going to the circus and so I like to watch this movie sometimes.

have seen more tedious movies but it is a contender. You would watch it once
    and then put it away for about 10 years.

That´s the best way to watch Circus World - not too often!

Print was very faded. Crowd scenes look like black & white at one point I wondered where they actually back projection.

I did not buy the DVD-version, and I think I will not buy it, because I have an old german version on a videotape at home and the color is not bad! But, I think, they maybe improved the color for this release. It was one videotape of a series of John Wayne tapes and even colorized some movies, that had been black & white before...

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

• I have this one on VHS and have watched it twice. It's quite different than most of his films from that point in his career, but not a bad film. I would not rank it as one of his best, but seeing a different setting for John Wayne to ply his skills is something I enjoyed. Given his health problems at the time of filming, he did quite a splendid job.