Concern For Missing Members

There are 399 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 124,617 times. The latest Post () was by MichaelHarrison.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Chester
    it sounds like he has left the board for good which is a little disappointing.
    :agent:

If you think that's disappointing, wait until you read this response from itdo -

Perhaps we should be thinking a little more about what we're typing. There may be others who read this board, who never post, who might be put off by some of what is said.

Chester :newyear:

• If you think that's disappointing, wait until you read this response from itdo -

Perhaps we should be thinking a little more about what we're typing. There may be others who read this board, who never post, who might be put off by some of what is said.

While I appreciate everyone's views and would never want this board to become a environment of hate. There are allot of different people on here and we all have opinion's or experiences that they believe are the right one's. We have to be careful because I don't think we should become sheep and just kiss the boots of whoever just to get recognition. But I think we just need to be sensitive about or ideas and what may be seen or miscontrued. Here is a example, itdo said he didn't like the comments about what people said about a movie. As a board maybe we just need to say that there is a limit as to what we can comment on for a movie review. Not attack things in a personal way.

These are just thoughts. I am by no means making recommendations, these are just random thoughts. I hate to see a long time member leave over something like this but I commend a person for standing up and taking a stand as I am sure the Duke and all his fans would as well.

You will be missed itdo, sorry to see you leave.
    Take care of yourself and maybe our paths will cross again sometime.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I agree with Todd, and in otherwords, everyone here has a different personality and everyone will have differing thoughts. I KNOW I have been party to speaking my mind--which is how I was raised. However, if someone disagres with me, I AINT going to make an issue out of it and will not quite this sites because I might not care for someone elses thoughts. If someone really wants to, they will find a fault with anything a person might say here.

Like Todd said, sorry to see you leave but hope you will come back at another time.

Best regards and Cheers--Carl.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi Chester, Carl and Todd,
    When I've read itdo comments I began to think that at some points he is right, expesially about some posts conserning Wayne family. And we sure missed him.
    Regards,
    Senta

• Hi

When I read Rolands comments yesterday they supported what I originally thought was one of the reasons for his choosing to be a non participent on this board. originally he asked a what to me was a perfectly innocent question namely had anyone read the Jane Fonda autobiography. The response he got would have put anyone off.

I may be getting into trouble here but however to me Jane Fonda is an actress who turned me on as a kid in Barbrella and now is a reasonably attractive 69 year old actress who advertising some cream on British television.

However I am not naive enough to ignore her past history and the place she holds in America, and by the fact that I am writing this now shows that I believe in free speech for all.

But.

Whilst the Vietnam conflict was a terrible thing it was mainly an American thing. Roland and I are Europeans. We could watch as the events unfolded and be concerned but purely as that bystanders, the internal goings on were not of our concern. There is a parrallel to day and for the British it is a little closer to home particularly as our young men and women are also dying along side the young American men and women.

People are crying out for the present war to stop as the American people did then. I do not condone or not condone Jane Fondas politics or actions they did not concern me, nor I supect did they Roland's, it is an American thing and perhaps should be contained for a political board rather than an appreciation of a fine actor John Wayne who it would be considered as a patriot would despise Jane Fonds credo but was asked and did present her with an Award.

One of our MP's was accused of going to Iraq and trying to agitate on their behalf. people spoke out against him many just called him a clown.

In the Second World War a man named William Joyce later to be called Lord Haw Haw went to Germany and nightly broadcast to the British public how badly the war was going.
    People listened and when he announced that the Germans had sunk HMS Collingwood which is a naval shore establishment outside of Fareham, people began to realise that he was a clown. Mind you it didn't stop us hanging him after the war.

It may be that Roland has a point about the Wayne family I certainly believe so. I detect a slight softening particularly in the work that Chillibilly is doing with the Bar26, the establishment of a fan club and the educational centre in Winterset. it is these avenues that we should be exploring.

Leave World War II and Vietnam for what it was and for what Iraq will be in the future a horarific episode in the past history of our countries histories.

I was going to save tis for my 3000 post but perhaps a couple early won't make much difference here or there.

Regard

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I commend a person for standing up and taking a stand as I am sure the Duke and all his fans would as well.

Amen, Todd.

I've received considerable criticism and censure from the moderators for saying things that upset other people but that's just the way I am. (And as our hero was, by golly.) I say what I mean and mean what I say. This is, after all, a country where free speech is even codified in our Constitution. If it ever comes to the point on this board that free speech is NOT acceptable, then I don't want to be a participant anyway.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hi all,

I'm sorry that itdo feels that he can't continue
    to contribute to this great site. Although there
    may be things that are written from time to time
    that we all don't agree with, I certainly wouldn't
    want any threads or posts censored because
    they are not seen as politcally correct. I hope
    that anyone coming across this site for the first
    time sees a fun place where no one takes
    themselves to serious,

Good luck Itdo, I hope you make it back this
    way sometime.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• Arthur, Stumpy, Emmanuel and all are correct. Emmanuel really hit the nail on the head with the censorship and politically correct thing. I would not want to see someones posting censored because it might be offensive to someone. Now I can see editing or deleting a post if it were full of obscenities and such but not necessarily one that is posted by someone who wants to say what they feel is correct. I am controversial as all heck and freely admit it. Having said that, to the best of my knowledge, I have never recieved a warning of anykind from any moderator about any posting I have made.

At any rate, like Stumpy said in other words of course, if the editing and P.C. thing happens here, then one might not want to take part in these discussions anymore. All i can say for myself is, I am staying here until I am told to leave. Also, I have had the pleasure of meeting many fine folks here and a few have become friends. If it were not for this site, none of us would have ever met.

I also want to give Kevin and the Moderating Team, my best compliments for running THE BEST SITE, on the internet--and with much much common sense.

Lastly, being politically correct is ruining our world.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Have to agree with the recent posts. Everyone has different opinions and beliefs and I think they have the right to express them freely without risk of censorship.

As Emmanuel says there have been times when I have read certain posts in threads and not agreed with them but I respect the rights of those members to express themselves and have found the best way to remedy that situation is to post a thread or add a post on a different subject relating to John Wayne.

I honestly think this is the BEST John Wayne site for fans with all credit to Kevin and the Moderating Team and ALL the Members.

Why the John Wayne family will not facilitate this site by officially linking into it is I believe their loss.

I dont think any of The Wayne Family are that sensitive to criticism and I think any gripes I have read are more about the delay certain releases not being available on DVD or the fact that the website hasnt got up and running legitimate concerns for any fan base.

Anyway Arthur Jane Fonda !!! Barbarella!!! you old devil you LOL.

I can understand were you are coming from I dont think I managed to watch all of Barbararella but certain elements were "Very Interesting"!!

I read in a recent book that John Wayne attended her Oscar win party so he was big enough to accept people of different views and opinions.

Mike

I think members should give thought

• John Wayne was, first and foremost, an individualist. He would have totally rejected the concept of collective "group-think", i.e., that others could tell him what and when he could voice an opinion. I truly believe this aspect of his personality was one of the things that made him so popular with so many people. In other words, he personified the rugged individualist who settled the wild American West.

I know this character trait of Big John’s was one of the reasons I found him so appealing. I too am an individualist and detest others trying to dictate what I can say and when I can say it. I don’t deliberately go looking for conflicts with other people but believe myself perfectly capable of holding my own in the event I do get into one. Which is one reason I don’t like moderators butting in when I happen to have a disagreement with another individual. I’m not gonna flame someone or use vile language in defending my point-of-view but can, and will, defend it vigorously.

The rosy view of some moderators that all is supposed to be sweetness and light on this forum, with never a dissenting view, is totally at odds with the real world, IMO. Now, if you disagree with my POV, then go ahead and ban me because like I said, I don’t wanna participate in a forum that places unreasonable restrictions on free speech and thought. (Believe it or not, I was kicked off a forum for calling another individual a puerile (childish) adolescent. The moderator said that was a personal insult. All I can say is, if he thought that was an insult, he hasn’t heard me when I really insult someone.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: )

• I was going to respond to this thread yesterday, before anyone else had started to discuss the moderating and guidelines, but then I realized that there was something wrong here. Itdo had his reasons for leaving this message board and it seems pretty clear to me that he had no intentions of making a fuss about this. He didn't like the attitude/opinions of some people here so he chose not to post. He is then contacted by a PM, which he replies to and the answer is then posted publicly, which I feel is wrong. I sent a PM to Chester yesterday, but he has not responded to it so I am now pointing this out here. If Chester asked itdo's permission to use this answer then it is okay, but since he has not replied I can't know if he has. Wether things should be moderated or not is a question I will not go too much into, but if you read what itdo says it is people who post things without any foundation that annoys him. Personal attacks against members of the Wayne family might be considered slander and if so it would be illegal regardless of having freedom of speech.

I know that the answer was posted with the best of intentions, but I still feel it is very wrong. PM's are personal. I am sure that itdo is quite capable of speaking for himself and that he would have done so if this is what he wanted.

Regards
    Popol Vuh

• If you think that's disappointing, wait until you read this response from itdo -

Let me first say that I believe participation in any kind of online forum such as this one requires a certain amount of "thick skin." No two people will think exactly the same, nor would I, for one, want to live in a world where everyone thought exactly alike.

Now, as to "Brokeback Mountain," I offer no apologies as to what was said about that film. This is certainly a free country and whatever homosexuals do in the privacy of their own homes and bedrooms is no concern of mine. But, when these homosexual activists begin using films and the media to promote their sick agenda and try to convert people to this lifestyle, that is totally unacceptable, and I, for one, make no apologies for attacking this piece of pro-homosexual propaganda. As Duke said in The Alamo, "There's right and there's wrong. You got to do one or the other."

As far as Jane Fonda goes, you must remember that we have several former and current U.S. Military personnel on this board. Naturally, these people have very strong feelings about Ms. Fonda, as well they have a right to. In an earlier generation, she would have seen the inside of a jail cell for doing the things she did. It’s probably worth repeating that no one forced Ms. Fonda to visit Hanoi and parade around where U.S. servicemen were being tortured, just like no one forced her to turn up at that anti-war rally last year. I myself have seen only three Jane Fonda movies on TV, Cat Ballou, They Shoot Horses, Don’t They, and On Golden Pond. I wasn’t too impressed with her as an actress in any of them, therefore, when it comes to reading her autobiography, quite frankly, I have better things to do with my life (although I will say that I am not diametrically opposed to people on a political basis; for example, Kirk Douglas is a liberal Democrat, yet I read his autobiography and was thoroughly entertained by it).

As far as the Wayne family goes, I would cite the example of Mr. Brooks, and how shabbily Wayne Enterprises and their attorneys treated him when he was trying to get his 26 Bar museum going. I think most of the frustration that been expressed at them has been mostly about the lack of information coming from them, the long time delay in responding to people’s questions, and the general "price gouging" that has been going on with the 100th anniversary commemorative memorabilia ($700 hats and whatnot). There is no excuse for not answering people’s phone calls and emails. And, if itdo has additional "facts" about the Wayne family, I would think he would want to post them here. John Wayne is a hero to all of us here. No one wants to think ill of his kith and kin. But, we all have to believe what our eyes and ears tell us. If there is additional info, make it known by all means.

And, just who are these "big Wayne collectors" and "big name Wayne fans?" In my opinion, the greatest, most knowledgeable group of Wayne fans are right here on this board. I challenge anyone to find another group as good as this one.

And, let’s not forget that there is no rule that says that one must view every post in every topic. If a topic is not of interest to you, then don’t view it. For example, around the time of the World Cup there were several threads discussing soccer. Now this is something that I and most Americans have no interest in at all, but I figured, if you Europeans want to come on here and discuss it, that’s fine with me. I just chose not to view it, as it wasn’t of interest to me.

One thing that has become very clear in this discussion is that there must be quite a difference in the way Europeans and Americans view the world. You Euros must be used to a much higher level of censorship than us Yanks. We speak our minds, come hell or high water. To do otherwise for fear of "rocking the boat" would be unthinkable. I’d like to think that the "Spirit of '76" will always beat in the heart of every American. As Stumpy said, our freedom of speech is guaranteed in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Many millions of Americans died to guarantee those freedoms. I know that Duke believed in that freedom, as I hope every fan of his would as well. I will say right now that I have thoroughly enjoyed reading many of itdo’s old posts, and if he ever did decide to come back, I, for one, would welcome him with open arms, no questions asked. I know that losing members of this board is a bitter pill to swallow, but, in my opinion, it would be far, far worse for this great board to succumb to politically correct censorship.

Thank you and good night,

E.J.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• As a newbie to this site, I have to say that I was particularly riveted with this whole discussion. Most of you on this site are far more knowledgeable than I when it comes to Mr. Wayne and the others mentioned and I am humbled by that fact. Just wanted all of you to know that it was very interesting for a first timer to read.

This is good stuff.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."

• Excellent post, ejgreen77. I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said. (As you knew I would :wink_smile: )

Thanks, Stumpy. I think I just wrote out my own personal political manifesto.

BTW, nice lizard (though I was partial to the "Don't Tread on Me" flag):wink_smile:

E.J.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• BTW, nice lizard (though I was partial to the "Don't Tread on Me" flag):wink_smile:

Well, I thought I'd give the flag a rest and put up a "horny toad" just for a change. Sort of a Texas-style symbol, ya know. But I've got the flag in reserve.

I've been on one forum where the members change their avatars almost daily. Hard to keep up with 'em.

• Great post ej.

I hope people are not becoming offened by reading this. I know both Stumpy and ej as well as myself are not trying to stir anything up. Just trying to explain a few things as we see it.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne