Duke's Movies- Blu-Ray/DVD Releases

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 285 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Rooster52.

• How about Swing Out Sweet Land on DVD

How about the long version of The Alamo????? with a bonus disc of supplements that include Spirit of The Alamo????

Spirit of the Alamo is one I would especially like a clean copy of. My VHS is very tough to watch. ...but I still put it on every once in awhile because it was so good. It has Jester singing Green Leaves of Summer and some choral moments with Dimitri Tiomkin.

What great music!

Anyway those are my top picks

...Just thought of another...
      An uncut Cowboys that has scenes with the Indians and the Bear!

• Originally posted by Robhightower474@Jun 8 2006, 05:50 PM
      [snapback]31995[/snapback]

Rob - You might check out several of the topics on "The Alamo" which describes the situation with the uncut version of the film. As I understand it, at this point, the only way a DVD could be made would be to take a second generation from the directors cut VHS tape (or laserdisc) which, in all probability, would be self-defeating.
      Cheers - Jay <_<
      Cheers - Jay:beer:
      "Not hardly!!!"
    • Rob,

Jay is correct about The Alamo. In a nutshell, there was only one known copy of the Director's Cut of The Alamo in existence, and the fools at MGM destroyed it due to poor storage.

You can read the whole sickening story in these old threads:

dukewayne.com/thread624.html

dukewayne.com/thread1237.html

dukewayne.com/thread1495.html

and in these news articles:

jwayne.com/news/archives/00000028.shtml

in70mm.com/news/2002/alamo/index.htm

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• Fellas, you can get a DVD copy of The Alamo Directors Cut. If you check E-bay, you can get one from Singapore for about $6. I got one a couple of years ago and the picture quality is quite good and it's done in Dolby surround. The cover art is nothing to write home about and there are no extras on it and you have to flip it to watch the whole film. they don't even have the entrance, intermission and, exit music but, like I said, picture is quite good and it's better than no DVD version at all. Also, I've got a DVD recorder and I've tried to copy my VHS copy onto a DVD and it worked. I only did a few minutes on a DVD Ram and there were no glitches from any copy guard that might be on it. The only thing is, to get everything on there, you have to use maybe three discs. that is if you want the best picture quality you can have. A DVD recorder is like a vcr, you have the different speeds at 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours and 8 hours. The 1 hour is the best picture quality, 2 hour is excellent and probably the best way to go, the 4 hour is still pretty good and 8 hour would be ok. If some enterprising young lad wanted to, he could make a good DVD copy using 2 discs for the movie and 1 disc for the documentary. I might even try it myself.
    • Hey yall,

I found this on the amazon.com sight. Anyone know about this? Probably more old Lone Star Westerns edited, remastered and given different names, but I'm not sure. Anyway I thought it might be of interest. Here's the info I copied from the sight...

John Wayne in Color (Stolen Goods / GOld Strike River / An Innocent Man)

Actors: John Wayne

Format: Box set, Black & White, Closed-captioned, Color, Full Screen, Widescreen, NTSC
      Language: English
      Region: Unknown. Read more about region encoding and how it may affect you here.
      Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
      Number of discs: 3
      Rating
      Studio: Legend
      DVD Release Date: December 12, 2006
      Run Time: 164 minutes
      DVD Features:
      Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 2.1 Stereo)
      Includes the films: Stolen Goods, Gold Strike River, An Innocent Man
      Featurette hosted by Vincent Price
      Featurette and bonus short with John Wayne and Jimmy Durante
      John Wayne classic commercials, vintage film, TV rarities and trailers
    • Hi,

This stunt has been pulled before,
      and it just comes across as a scam.
      Unknowing fans will be purchasing these 'new' titles,
      unaware, that they probably have them in their collections,
      already!!!

From the runtime, it looks highly likely
      that they are Lone Star re-works.
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • I use to own the old 1980s colorized Lone Star films on VHS. They looked great (it was fun to see such a young John Wayne in color), but the soundtrack was way off. All the actor's voices were high-pitched and sped up. Definitely took away from some of the fun.

I would like to pruchase these 3 upcoming films, if they are not duplicates of the 1980 releases, and if they are not those 20 minute edited ones that are already out on DVD. Guess I will just wait to read some reviews of them, before plunking down the $22.
    • Yep, I looked up the DVD title on another sight. They are Lone Star Westerns. This is the info I got on that sight about what's on the DVD
      FEATURES LIST

DVD Features
      Note: This 3-Disc set includes the films STOLEN GOODS aka BLUE STEEL (1934), GOLD STRIKE RIVER aka THE LUCKY TEXAN (1933), and AN INNOCENT MAN aka SAGEBRUSH TRAIL (1934).
      Slipcase
      Full Frame 1.33

Audio
      (unspecified) English

Additional Release Material
      Bonus Short "The Northwest Killer"
      Featurettes 1. "Western Legends" hosted by Vincent Price
      2. "The Western"
      3. "Bust 'em Up!"
      Trailers
      TV Spots

• Originally posted by ZS_Maverick@Nov 3 2006, 05:34 PM
      DVD Features
      Note: This 3-Disc set includes the films STOLEN GOODS aka [b]BLUE STEEL
      (1934), GOLD STRIKE RIVER aka THE LUCKY TEXAN (1933), and AN INNOCENT MAN aka SAGEBRUSH TRAIL (1934).
      [/b]

It sounds like these are the same films colorized in 1990 by Color Systems Technology and released on home video under their original titles, later with different titles under The Young Duke banner. The titles here are different, though: Blue Steel was Bandits of the Badlands; The Lucky Texan was Cowboy G-Man; and Sagebrush Trail was The Fugitive.

It's too bad Wayne's Lone Star westerns ended up in the public domain: If the copyrights were renewed we would have beautiful, unmodified prints available on DVD. Instead, they're hacked (editing, music, colorization) so that the new versions can be re-copyrighted.

Anyone who wants to see how nice these prints can look should check out the 2-disc Columbia Pictures DVD collection called Riding the Range Vols. 1 and 2. There's new music and editing, though, which I deplore. But the print quality is lovely (some better than others), sourced from either the original or early re-issue film elements owned by NTA. The DVDs also benefit from high-quality encoding. But had the films been released unmodified, bootleg copies probably would have flooded the public domain market.

I wonder if the colorized versions by CST used the same prints as the earlier black-and-whites released by Columbia? I'll poke my ever-curious nose into the answer.

RoughRider
      John Wayne on DVD: A Filmography
    • Originally posted by RoughRider@Nov 9 2006, 12:29 PM

It sounds like these are the same films colorized in 1990 by Color Systems Technology and released on home video under their original titles, later with different titles under The Young Duke banner. 

I have several of these, and whilst the colour versions
      are interesting, they're also pretty lousy.
      They appear to use the same print,
      and some of the original sound track, and some from the
      Second Sight releases
      The worst thing however is Duke's voice,
      what an earth have they done to it,
      badly dubbed or what!!
      How they can get Duke to sound like that,
      when Yakima Canutt and the others sound normal,
      baffles me!!!
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • Hi Kieth

I agree with you they were cheap and cheerful and I only bought a couple . I don't know who dubbed Waynes voice but I am convinced that it was dubbed and badly luckilly late night television screened the originals at about 2 in the morning and with the wonders of video I managed to tape the lot.
      Of course these are now redundant with the DVD collections that are coming out.

Regards

Arthur
      Walk Tall - Talk Low
    • Hi

Having re-joined the Film Society I received this today and thought I'd share it with Region 2 members. I should imagine Kieth that you have seen this or maybe have them if so what are they like?

[ATTACH]1016]

Regards

Arthur[/attach]
      Files
      • new_films.JPG

(83.34 kB, downloaded 28 times, last: )
      Walk Tall - Talk Low