Duke's Movies- Blu-Ray/DVD Releases

There are 287 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 192,071 times. The latest Post () was by Paula.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I've had a chance to sit down and look at the 10-disc John Wayne Collection from Fox.

The good news is that The Barbarian and the Geisha looks lovely and to my surprise has the original 4-track audio soundtrack. The extras are as follows: original theatrical trailer, 4 Fox Movietone newsreels and a photo gallery.

Duke fans who have the other 9 titles should stay away of course. It's best to buy the combo pack (Blu-ray/DVD) from Walmart.

Another useful update.

Does anyone know if Walmart do international shipping as it sounds like a Blu Ray purchase?

Regards,

Dooley

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• I was in Walmart today and not only saw the Blu-ray edition of Barbarian And The Geisha, but also The Big Trail. Both were priced at $12.96 and were in a Blu-ray/ DVD combo pack, which makes it convenient for viewing anywhere.

• Rio Grande on Blu-ray (and standard DVD) on August 7!

PRESS RELEASE FROM OLIVE FILMS:

FROM THE DIRECTOR OF THE SEARCHERS & SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON
    REMASTERED IN HD FROM AN ARCHIVAL 35MM PRINT
    FIRST TIME ON Blu-ray©
    DAY & DATE (DVD and Blu-ray)

JOHN WAYNE | MAUREEN O’HARA in
    RIO GRANDE (1950)
    Directed by JOHN FORD (THE GRAPES OF WRATH)
    with BEN JOHNSON | VICTOR McLAGLEN | HARRY CAREY JR. | CHILL WILLS

PREBOOK 7/10/12 STREET 8/7/12

DVD UPC# 887090044905 CAT# OF449 $19.95srp
    BLU-RAY UPC# 887090045001 CAT# OF450 $29.95srp

In the John Ford (The Quiet Man) classic, John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara (First of five films together) are embroiled in an epic battle with the Apaches and each other. Wayne leads his Calvary troops to the Rio Grande to fight a warring tribe. His toughest battle lies ahead when his unorthodox plan to outwit the elusive Apaches leads to a possible court-martial. Locked in a bloody war, he must fight not only to save his family, but also to redeem his honor. This was the third and final of the John Wayne/John Ford Cavalry films, which started with Fort Apache and was followed by She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. The great supporting cast includes Ben Johnson, Harry Carey Jr., Victor McLaglen and Chill Wills.

1950 | B&W | 105 Minutes | Not Rated

SPECIAL FEATURES:
    • THE MAKING OF HIGH NOON (1993 – 23 MINUTES) - NARRATED BY LEONARD MALTIN
    Includes Interviews with MICHAEL WAYNE | BEN JOHNSON | HARRY CAREY JR.
    • THEATRICAL TRAILER

An Argosy Production JOHN WAYNE MAUREEN O’HARA in “RIO GRANDE” co-starring BEN JOHNSON CLAUDE JARMAN JR. HARRY CAREY JR. CHILL WILLS J. CARROLL NAISH VICTOR McLAGLEN

Screenplay by JAMES KEVIN McGUINNESS Based on a Saturday Evening Post Story by JAMES WARNER BELLAH

Produced by JOHN FORD and MARIAN C. COOPER Directed by JOHN FORD
    RIO GRANDE © 1950 MELANGE PICTURES LLC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

(Olive Films will also release Nicholas Ray's Johnny Guitar on Blu-ray and DVD on August 7. Olive Films has licensed for Blu-ray/DVD release about 200 titles from Lionsgate, which currently owns much of the Republic Library.)

Edited once, last by Paula ().

• It's a typo -- they've now released a corrected release. Here's the corrected language:

• THE MAKING OF RIO GRANDE (1993 – 23 MINUTES) - NARRATED BY LEONARD MALTIN

• It's a typo -- they've now released a corrected release. Here's the corrected language:

• THE MAKING OF RIO GRANDE (1993 – 23 MINUTES) - NARRATED BY LEONARD MALTIN

Thanks for the update Paula. That makes much more sense.
    Hopefully it'll be a good transfer.

dooley

• That's very true!
    Where abouts did you get the information on rio grande as I've just been on the olive website and cannot find any mention of it!
    High noon is on there though?

Dooley

• I know Olive hasn't posted the info to their website or Facebook page -- strange. Hopefully they'll get it up there soon. But Olive did send out press releases yesterday about Rio Grande and Johnny Guitar, and the information has been posted at all the DVD information websites -- Home Theater Forum, blu-ray.com, and classicflix.com just to name a few. Plus the two press releases were also forwarded to the DVD Beaver e-mail list.

• This film is released on DVD/Blu-Ray. I've seen it at Wal-mart for $12.99. So I included it in my collection. Not a great movie, but it is Duke, so I now have it. I didn't have to buy the box set.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• This film is released on DVD/Blu-Ray. I've seen it at Wal-mart for $12.99. So I included it in my collection. Not a great movie, but it is Duke, so I now have it. I didn't have to buy the box set.

Thanks for sharing Hondo,

I've ordered The Big Trail also, had to pay through the nose as Walmart doesn't ship internationally. One of the downsides of being on the other side of the pond!
    Hondo is the release I'm really looking forward to.

Dooley

• Thanks for sharing Hondo,

I've ordered The Big Trail also, had to pay through the nose as Walmart doesn't ship internationally. One of the downsides of being on the other side of the pond!
    Hondo is the release I'm really looking forward to.

Dooley

Agreed with that. Looking forward to the release of my namesake.

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Can somebody exsplain to me what they mean by Combo? Does this mean there is a blue ray disc and a regular format disc inside? Or do you bottom line have to have a blue ray machine? ( i'm referring to the Barbarian and the Geisha DVD at Walmarts.)
    thanks.

• I bought the new Pirates of the Caribbean DVD last fall and it came with 2 DVDs. A regular DVD and a Blue-Ray disc. This is the manufacturer's way of telling us that our DVD players are about to expire and we might need to invest in a Blue-Ray player. lol

• Can somebody exsplain to me what they mean by Combo? Does this mean there is a blue ray disc and a regular format disc inside? Or do you bottom line have to have a blue ray machine? ( i'm referring to the Barbarian and the Geisha DVD at Walmarts.)
    thanks.

In reference to The Barbarian and the Geisha the combo is two discs, one blu-ray, the other disc is the DVD. As for the format, it really depends on what they include on the discs.

I think it's really cool of them to have both. I have a sister in-law who loves movies and does not have or want a blu-ray player. And I can have that version to watch myself.

- John Wayne quote

• In reference to The Barbarian and the Geisha the combo is two discs, one blu-ray, the other disc is the DVD. As for the format, it really depends on what they include on the discs.

I think it's really cool of them to have both. I have a sister in-law who loves movies and does not have or want a blu-ray player. And I can have that version to watch myself.

Same here, Hondo. I have 2 Blu-ray players and 2 DVD players. So it comes in handy when there's both formats in one package. Or if one of my kids wants to borrow a movie that just came out, but they don't have Blu-ray, so they can still see it in the DVD format. And I try to always buy the combo pks just for that purpose.

• Same here, Hondo. I have 2 Blu-ray players and 2 DVD players. So it comes in handy when there's both formats in one package. Or if one of my kids wants to borrow a movie that just came out, but they don't have Blu-ray, so they can still see it in the DVD format. And I try to always buy the combo pks just for that purpose.

The combo releases are also great when you're on the move.
    I had She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and The Searchers on the ipad for the 11 hour flight from London to Vegas! It's much easier to rip from DVD than Blu Ray.

I also had Rango on there. Has anyone else seen it and been amused at the John Ford and Sergio Leone nature of some of the shots; it's very clever and funny.

Off topic but I was on a roll! ;)