Major Dundee (1965)

There are 89 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 100,919 times. The latest Post () was by Hondo Apache.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Bill I totally agree with you on this one, it has everything but that magical ingredient is missing in parts. You know I'm a fan, my lobby cards are on here! ;)

Its beautifully filmed and The cavalry charge through the river is still spectacular today. The Sony special edition DVD is a massive improvement on the previous releases and the DVD has a little behind the scenes docu on there.

It's about time Twilight Time release a title with decent extras. Swamp water, the big heat and roots of heaven were crying out for extras!!

Don't tell me any more stories of whole still archives disappearing like, I won't sleep at night, lol!

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Peter, your pristine lobby cards encouraged me to go forward with this thread. This site is, after all, a tribute to the Duke, but some of the other films made during this period, inform us about Wayne's cinematic choices and place his films in historical context, which I feel is highly important.
    There is something about Dundee which compels me to watch it. I don't know why. To me, it's a fascinating film that just missed achieving greatness.

If anyone has any thoughts on this one, please contribute.

We deal in lead, friend

Edited once, last by Gorch: error ().

• Peter, your pristine lobby cards encouraged me to go forward with this thread. This site is, after all, a tribute to the Duke, but some of the other films made during this period, inform us about Wayne's cinematic choices and place his films in historical context, which I feel is highly important.

We deal in lead, friend

Bill,
    thanks for this insight.
    We were aware that there was a need to expand the community,
    and to embrace in general all of Duke's genres and his fellow screen legends.
    As great as the big man is, there comes a point when
    there is only so much you can say.
    How could we say such a thing!!!

Anyway, Charlton Heston and his movies,
    Major Dundee included of course,
    proves the fact that there is interest,
    in other movies and stars.
    We at the JWMB
    hope to make this community a place
    where the greatest in the movie industry
    can be discussed freely.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• That blu-ray can't get here fast enough. :) Major Dundee is currently running on the Sony HD channel in an appalling 1:78 aspect ratio cropped down from the correct 2:35 Panavision frame. And it looks like upconverted standard def rather than true HD.

• That blu-ray can't get here fast enough. :) Major Dundee is currently running on the Sony HD channel in an appalling 1:78 aspect ratio cropped down from the correct 2:35 Panavision frame. And it looks like upconverted standard def rather than true HD.

The DVD over here isn't that bad but I do agree, I cannot wait!:wink_smile:

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• The Major Dundee DVD at least is the correct aspect ratio (2:35). I couldn't believe my eyes when I started to watch the Sony HD channel broadcast. This is a frequent practice on TV -- it's the new "fullframe." Used to be they'd crop the widescreen pictures down to 4:3 for the old square TVs. Now they crop them down to 1:78 for high def TVs. Those 2:35 pictures are still missing info though in 1:78. I see 2:35 movies run at 1:78 all the time on TV -- that is, I see them for a few seconds here or there, but I won't watch them. The Undefeated also was cropped to 1:78 for broadcast. Ghastly. :(

• i HAD won an auction for several battle scenes from this movie--but--they never arrived, otherwise--id love to have seen them here.

Oh and--anyone remember those stills I bought for: The Horse Soldiers? Keith had posted them here for me somewhere? and I wouldnt mind seeing those added. However, though I paid for them--they never arrived.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• This a scene that's still missing. After the river ambush the command is short of horses so Dundee tries to ride a mule. It's not his finest moment but the men bond by laughing silently behind his back.