Save the Quiet Man Cottage

There are 57 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 59,329 times. The latest Post () was by Hawkswill.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• As many of you may be aware from reading the Duke's Movie Locations - Ireland forum, the cottage used in The Quiet Man, White O'Morn, is in a terrible state of disrepair.

There is a concerted, organized effort (spearheaded by our good friend Mike Ward in Ireland) to Save the Quiet Man Cottage. I'm sure many of you will be very interested in this project. He also has a group on Facebook of the same name, for those of you on FB.

We want to encourage everyone to see what they can do to make this happen!

Maureen O'Hara will be visiting Cong village at the end of this month, to launch what is hoped to become an annual event there.[/SIZE]

• I have been given permission by the photographer
    Patrick McCormick to post these rare photographs.

As it was in 1951................................................With kind permission of Patrick McCormick

As it is now........................................................With kind permission of Patrick McCormick

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 5 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• i have to say when i was up in galway about 3 years ago to look at the quite man cottage i took home a few stones from the cottage.it's a pity to have a famous land mark to go into ruins.

• Here is an interesting message from
    Gary McEwan of 'Save The Quiet Man Cottage'

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• :wink:

The cottage is so deteriorated .... I think we should stay on the wonderful memories of the film.
    Recreate entirely is perhaps not the way I would have chosen ...
    I've always been disappointed by revisiting the places where I played when I was little! :uhuh:

Unconditional's Maureen O'Hara !
    French-English translation: poor !!!
    :blush:

• Take a look at the White O'Morn as it is now

Keith, I think I read that this video is 10 years old and that White O'Morn is even in worse shape now. Brings a tear to your eyes, that's for sure.

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Save the Quiet Man Cottage- Facebook Group

Remember you must Log In to FB to view the page and join the group.

This group is growing from strength to strength,
    and now as well over 3000 members.
    We at the JWMB are very active in the group,
    with many of our Irish related threads linked there.
    Many of our photographs in our threads have been
    obtained with the kind permissions of our Irish friends,
    and we are extremely grateful.
    The members of the group are now very aware of us here,
    and the joint co-operation can only bring good
    to the legacy of Duke, Maureen O'Hara, and indeed
    the one thing that links it all The Quiet Man

Please join and be part of this worthy group.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 4 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• My Family and I were down in Anaheim, California last week to visit Disneyland. During our stay I contacted Gregory Ebbitt, present owner of the Cottage. My wife and I met him, and his wife, for dinner at a local restaurant. Over the course of the meal he gave us his account of owning, and trying to restore the White O' Morn Cottage. It's quite a long story, filled with many disappointments. When my wife and I get some time, we will attempt to put into words his story, and post it here.

Chester :newyear: