Save the Quiet Man Cottage

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 57 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Hawkswill.

• Re: Save the Quiet Man Cottage

Colorado Bob wrote:

I believe there was also talk about trying to find a way to simply take ownership of the cottage ruins. It will be very interesting to see where this all leads.

Very interesting indeed!
      I've sent five Emails to Mr.Ebbitt in the last 4 days, sharing with him the various news articles where they are basically bragging on how they plan on stealing his property out from under him. Hopefully he can stop it.

chester7777 wrote:

Very interesting indeed!
      I've sent five Emails to Mr.Ebbitt in the last 4 days, sharing with him the various news articles where they are basically bragging on how they plan on stealing his property out from under him. Hopefully he can stop it.

Good on you Jim.
      Imagine if for gain, or whatever reason,
      our government's took away all the homes owned by
      foreigners, say in Florida, or here in London etc..!!
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

ethanedwards wrote:

Good on you Jim.
      Imagine if for gain, or whatever reason,
      our government's took away all the homes owned by
      foreigners, say in Florida, or here in London etc..!!

Give 'em time, Keith, give 'em time.
      "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

Oh, absolutely the sharks are circling. The rhetoric is escalating into quite a nasty tone, all of which appears to steadfastly avoid the apparent complete disinterest during the decades during which the property decayed prior to Mr Ebbitts purchase. Next, I expect to hear stories of an angry mob carrying torches storming up the path leading towards the castle. <Oops, wrong movie...or is it ?>

It may well be that under Irish law they can lay claim to the property and thus obtain it "without cost", but I guarantee they will not be able to restore it for free, nor manage, promote and operate it for free, nor do the ongoing maintenance for free.

Someone is going to have to find or raise a significant amount of money to power this effort, and then a lot of hard work will need to be done over a good chunk of time.

Mobs will be hard to find when these two items need to be handled !

grumpy wrote:

It may well be that under Irish law they can lay claim to the property and thus obtain it "without cost", but I guarantee they will not be able to restore it for free, nor manage, promote and operate it for free, nor do the ongoing maintenance for free.

Someone is going to have to find or raise a significant amount of money to power this effort, and then a lot of hard work will need to be done over a good chunk of time.

Mobs will be hard to find when these two items need to be handled !

Mobs indeed, even building contractors that do as they agree to do in that area are hard to find, as Gregory Ebbitt found out during the two trips to Cong he made trying to get a restoration started. Spending thousands of dollars in the process.

Last night I emailed over 30 Galway County Council members with my and Mr. Ebbitts concerns. Hopefully they might be swayed.
    • Re: The Quiet Man (1952)

the save the quite man cottage is on,they are holding a funraising event in 2 months time and they hope to raise 4 million euros for the entire project.they hope to have it done in 2015

Here is a beautifully done and quite thorough presentations of The Quiet Man by Mark, one of the members of Save the Quiet Man Cottage. Must have taken him forever...but well worth it.

Have tried everything to get this where you can click on it...so just copy and paste it into YOUTUBE. It is worth it!

youtube.com/watch?v=ZPbtnD-qcJo&feature=youtu.be

Keith, and thanks again to Mark!
      God, she reminds me of me! DUKE