Wyatt Earp (1994)

There are 3 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 20,136 times. The latest Post () was by alamo221.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• WYATT EARP

DIRECTED BY LAWRENCE KASDAN
    PRODUCED BY KEVIN COSTNER/ LAWRENCE KASDAN
    TIG/ KASDAM PROSUCTIONS
    WARNER BROS. PICTURES

Information from IMDb

Plot Summary
    Wyatt Earp is a movie about a man and his family.
    The movie shows us the good times and the bad times
    of one of the West's most famous individuals.
    Written by Jimmy Anderson

Full Cast
    Kevin Costner ... Wyatt Earp
    Dennis Quaid ... Doc Holliday
    Gene Hackman ... Nicholas Earp
    David Andrews ... James Earp
    Linden Ashby ... Morgan Earp
    Jeff Fahey ... Ike Clanton
    Joanna Going ... Josie Marcus
    Mark Harmon ... Sheriff Johnny Behan
    Michael Madsen ... Virgil Earp
    Catherine O'Hara ... Allie Earp
    Bill Pullman ... Ed Masterson
    Isabella Rossellini ... Big Nose Kate
    Tom Sizemore ... Bat Masterson
    JoBeth Williams ... Bessie Earp
    Mare Winningham ... Mattie Blaylock
    James Gammon ... Mr. Sutherland
    Rex Linn ... Frank McLaury
    Randle Mell ... John Clum
    Adam Baldwin ... Tom McLaury
    and many more.....

Writing Credits
    Dan Gordon (written by) and
    Lawrence Kasdan (written by)

Produced
    Kevin Costner .... producer
    Dan Gordon .... executive producer
    Michael Grillo .... executive producer
    Lawrence Kasdan .... producer
    Charles Okun .... executive producer
    Jon Slan .... executive producer
    Jim Wilson .... producer

Production Companies
    Warner Bros. Pictures
    Tig Productions
    Kasdan Pictures
    Paragon Entertainment Corporation (produced in association with)

Original Music
    James Newton Howard

Cinematography
    Owen Roizman

Trivia
    Dennis Quaid lost over 30 pounds to play Doc Holliday, who suffered from tuberculosis.

Tombstone was being filmed at the same time nearby, and bought up most of the period clothing in the region. Clothing had to be imported from Europe, delaying production.

Michael Madsen was offered the role of Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction, but he couldn't get released from this film.

For the movie, Wyatt Earp's actual 6 shooter was loaned by the Earp museum and used in some scenes during a number of close-ups.

Originally conceived as a six-hour mini-series.

Gene Hackman receives third-billing although he has less than 10 minutes of screen time.

Goofs
    Continuity: The sweat on Wyatt's shirt while working in the garden.

Revealing mistakes: When Wyatt, Ed, and Bat Masterson are shooting buffalo near the beginning of the movie, the buffalo are clearly dummies. When the last buffalo tumbles to the ground, its horns bounce up and down, indicating they're made from rubber.

Errors in geography: When Wyatt brings a prisoner to jail, you can briefly see mountains behind the buildings. The scene is set in Kansas, which has no mountains, but most of the movie was filmed in Las Vegas.

Anachronisms: During the opening view of the cornfield, you can clearly see a large curved track in the field. It was caused by a Circle Pivot irrigation system, which did not exist in 1863.

Factual errors: Wyatt and Morgan weren't Tombstone Deputy Marshalls until minutes before the OK Corral fight, when Virgil deputized them and Doc Holliday.

Factual errors: Wyatt did not carry a Colt Peacemaker or use a conventional holster rig at the OK Corral. His preferred weapon was a Smith & Wesson American .44 (nickel plated and scroll engraved), which he carried in a holster hidden in a pocket of his full-length overcoat.

Factual errors: When the workmen are laying track for the railroad, a rail is dropped into place using rail tongs, then 2 workmen immediately begin hammering in the spikes. No one tries to measure or position the rail properly before attaching it to the tie. Plus, the end of the rail is right at the edge of the tie they are they are nailing it to, meaning the end of the next rail placed would be unsupported.

Revealing mistakes: In the film's first scene, Wyatt is shown sipping coffee in a darkened room. But the heavy cloud of steam coming from the cup indicates that there is no real coffee inside; actual coffee that hot would badly burn his lips if he attempted to drink it.

Factual errors: Wyatt wears a so-called Hollywood style pistol belt, which keeps the holster permanently positioned at his right side. Such holsters were not used in the Old West; they are a product of the movie industry. Actual gun belts of the period slipped through a loop on the back of the holster, which allowed the holster to be positioned anywhere along the belt's length. This correct type is worn by most of the film's other characters.

Anachronisms: When Wyatt is refereeing the boxing fight, there are American flags present that show all fifty stars, which obviously was not around at the time.

Errors in geography: At the end of the film, Wyatt and Josephine arrive in Alaska on board a ship, and Wyatt makes a comment about there being "gold up in those mountains." While Wyatt did live in Nome, Alaska for two years around 1898, they are obviously not in the Nome area in the film. There are no trees anywhere within eyesight of Nome, and there are no high snow-capped mountains anywhere near Nome either. The geography looks like it could be in another part of Alaska, but definitely not Nome. Also, the gold in the Nome area was gold dust from the ocean which drifted onto the beach, not in the mountains.

Anachronisms: In the first half of the movie after Wyatt marries his bride, they return to their new house following the wedding. When the front door is opened, you can clearly see a cold air return vent visible above the door frame inside the house. This goes with a forced air heating system, clearly not available in the 1800s.

Factual errors: In the beginning of the movie, the Earp family is sitting around a table talking about moving to California. Martha Earp is supposedly going to be staying in Iowa instead of moving with the family so she can marry "Jimmy Jorgenson". Martha Earp died at 10 years old in 1856 so would not be alive to even be in the scene.

Factual errors: The time line is completely wrong for the shootings of Virgil and Morgan Earp. Both shootings took place on the same night and it appears they were very shortly after the shootout at the OK Corral. However, Virgil was shot two months after the shootout in December (the shootout happened 26 October 1881). Morgan was shot and killed in March 1882, a full five months after the shootout.

Audio/visual unsynchronized: SPOILER: When Wyatt corners the Injun in the woods, you hear him pulling the hammer back on his hand gun, but he never pulls it back.

Memorable Quotes

Filming Locations
    777 Ranch, Hermosa, South Dakota, USA
    Cook Ranch, Galisteo, New Mexico, USA
    Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, Chama, New Mexico, USA
    Eaves Movie Ranch - 105 Rancho Alegre Road, Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA
    Ghost Ranch, Abiquiu, New Mexico, USA
    Laramie Street, Warner Brothers Burbank Studios - 4000 Warner Boulevard, Burbank, California, USA
    Las Vegas, New Mexico, USA
    Port Angeles, Washington, USA
    Rancho de las Golondrinas - 334 Los Pinos Road, Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA
    Santa Clara Pueblo, Santa Clara, New Mexico, USA
    Tesuque Pueblo, New Mexico, USA
    Zia Pueblo, New Mexico, USA

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• Wyatt Earp is a American semi-biographical Western film,
    written by Dan Gordon and Lawrence Kasdan and directed by Kasdan.
    It stars Kevin Costner in the title role as lawman Wyatt Earp,
    and features an ensemble cast that includes Dennis Quaid,
    Gene Hackman, Isabella Rossellini, Mark Harmon, Michael Madsen,
    Joanna Going, Tom Sizemore, Bill Pullman, JoBeth Williams,
    Linden Ashby, and Mare Winningham.

I actually prefer, Tombstone which I found a much better paced movie,
    wth Kurt Russell who clearly outshone Kevin Costner.
    In my opinion Val Kilmer's portayal of Doc Holiday,
    being the best by far in any Earp movie.
    However that's my personal choice.

Which film should I watch? Tombstone or Wyatt Earp?
    again is totally a matter of opinion.
    However if you are interested to which film better suits you;
    If you want to know a bit more of Wyatt Earp's history
    growing up and before he went to Tombstone,
    then Wyatt Earp may be more for you.
    If you are looking for more action while still maintaining great character
    development and an accurate but more condensed story then Tombstone is for you.

User Review

29 September 2004 | by senator_noc (New Orleans)

in some people's criticisms of the flick I usually see "he was dull" or "he didn't give the character life," and I have to disagree. In actuality he gave the best rendition of the real Wyatt Earp and his life. The movie is a biopic, and for historians like myself it served its purpose, in showing the life and true personality of a figure Hollywood overglamourized. Wyatt Earp was not the type to dance in the snow and was indeed a cold hearted SOB. I prefer this to Tombstone and no doubt Costner was better than Russell. And actually Quaid was the better Doc. I wouldn't say it was a classic movie and spaghetti western versions of the story might be more "entertaining," however the darkness of Costner's movie is chilling and is the version that gets more replay value from me.

However, if you want both then you could watch the first half of Wyatt Earp. To the point where they say they are heading for Tombstone, then pop Tombstone in.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 6 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• I actually prefer, Tombstone which I found a much better paced movie, wth Kurt Russell who clearly outshone Kevin Costner.

In my opinion Val Kilmer's portayal of Doc Holiday, being the best by far in any Earp movie.

I agree, Keith.

I used to think there would never be a better version of the Earp story than that of Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas but I too liked "Tombstone" better. And like you, I specifically liked Val Kilmer best as Doc Holliday. He was wonderful in that role.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I prefer Tombstone over WE, but not by much. I like bother versions very much-Tombstone is a more traditional western (action oriented) and WE more character/drama-oriented. I much prefer Kilmer and Quaid over all the previous Docs (but liked Douglas to a lesser degree).