Favorite Writers

There are 11 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,792 times. The latest Post () was by chester7777.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Many of us at various times have mentioned certain authors we like so I thought why not start a thread devoted specifically to that particular subject. After all, even the Duke's films began as books or scripts.

I mentioned in another thread that I started out reading this man's Western stories and most of 'em weren't bad. In fact, as you can see from the list, at least six were made into Western movies. At one time, I owned every single title on the list in paperback. I started collecting 'em when I was about 15 years old, almost 60 years ago.

As I've aged, both my vision and powers of concentration have ebbed but I still love to read and have a fairly sizable personal library. At one time, I've owned all the books written by certain authors, which at times has made moving a real chore.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Stumpy, I hear you!

One reason I've been scarce the past six months is that I've read every one of Clive Cussler's novels (all 30+ of them), in addition to working full time (and being gone from home 12 hours a day).

In the past, I've really enjoyed Tom Clancy (in fact, I've just reread three of his books).

Interestingly enough, you mentioned Louis L'Amour in a post yesterday, and today at the public library, on the used book shelf (for sale, $1 each for hardcover books), was an almost brand new copy of Last of the Breed. I scored on that one.

I've also read a few John Grisham novels that I've enjoyed.

Chester :newyear:

• Here's another man whose Western writings I really like. In fact, his book "From Where The Sun Now Stands" (written under the pen name Will Henry) is one of my favorite Western stories. It's about the Nez Perce's (a tribe that lived in the Northwest) Chief Joseph, who led his people on about a 1500 mile running battle with the U.S. Army, trying to escape to Canada. The Army finally caught up with them in Montana, about 30 miles short of the border, and forced the surrender of what was left of the tribe. An inspiring story of American Indian courage in the face of overwhelming odds.

All my life I've had a vast sympathy for American Indians, who got a really raw deal from Europeans who settled both American continents. Many of this writer's stories also show empathy for the Indians' plight.

• Like Jim (Chester7777), I also like Tom Clancy's writings. Other of my favorite authors are Frederick Forsyth, Wilbur Smith, Michael Connelly, Stephen Hunter, Elliot Arnold, Dee Brown, Edgar Rice Burrows, Winston Churchill, Michael Crichton, P.T. Deutermann, Vince Flynn, J. Frank Dobie, Arthur Conan Doyle, Allan Eckert, Ian Fleming, C.S. Forester, Thomas Harris, Jack Higgins, James Jones, Jonathan Kellerman, Elmer Kelton, William Manchester, David McCullough (a historian who's written some excellent biographies), Kenneth Roberts and a host of lesser-known writers.

Some of my favorite subjects are history (both American and British) and biographies. I love to read about the old West and military history.

• I've read all of Louis L'amour's books, even the non westerns, Will Henry/Clay Fisher, Robert B. Parker, Jeff Shaara and George MacDonald Fraser's "Flashman series.
    The "Flashman novels follow a fictional character from "Tom Brown's School Days" through every major campaign in the late 1800s - including Custer's Last Stand. Every historical detail is accurate. The novelty of this series is that Flashman is an abject coward and survives mainly by fleeing but still achieving high public praise.
    I have no hesitation recommending any of these authors.

We deal in lead, Friend.

• My favorite author is Douglas Adams, I just love his humor and have read all his books. I've read all the "classics" but just never found a genre that I enjoyed reading...

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• Thanks Jim for forming this thread, and for some sort of continuity
    I have now copied over, more or less any previous conversation.

Last night I watched Rustler's Valley (1937), which I think was the seventh or eighth Hopalong Cassidy film. A warm and agreeable western of the period, well-shot on beautiful locations and well-acted. Well-written, too. The Hopalong Cassidy films had good writing, at least in the beginning. Not the same experience as reading the books; author Mulford achieved greatness on the page. Whenever I watch a Hopalong Cassidy film, I always think it' so good it could have been better if they had only done this or that, instead of that and this. Close, but no cigar.

Trail Dust (1936) and Borderland (1937) are two of best westerns of the 1930s, I am inclined to think, and by coincidence, they are also two of the strongest and orniest Mulford novels.

Richard

I'm always glad to read or hear recommendations about good books and/or movies. Think I'll follow your recommendations, Richard, and try to acquire those Mulford stories you named above. Also the films.

Actually, I was referring to the scripts for the movies. They started out above average and actually achieve something special by the late 1930s. By the 1940s the screenplays got worse and worse as they strayed further and further away from Clarence E. Mulford and the films got cheaper and cheaper until they were hardly better than grade Z fare.

On the other hand, the novels kept getting better and better until the author stopped writing them. He started out with Bar 20, published in 1906. Hopalong Cassidy is one of several cowboys in this story of ranch life in the American west. This novel help to invent what we now know as the western. It defined the western for the 20h century. I believe it was more influential and of more value than The Virginian, which gets more credit than it deserves. Anyhow, Bar 20 was an excellent book, and the following Hopalong Cassidy novels got progressively more brilliant from there.

The novels are a lot more realistic than the films. Cassidy is more fleshed-out, more down-to-earth on the page. He bears no resemblance to William Boyd, who basically re-invents the character for the films. Warner Brothers is tinkering with the idea of reviving the series. Ethan Wayne is just the man to play Hopalong Cassidy. But they'll never even think of him.

I enjoyed reading the Mulford books about Hopalong Cassidy. Louis Lamour also wrote a few just a few years before he died that I read and they were also very good.

I never could understand Lamour's popularity with Western readers. I just never could get that interested in his books.

In Western writers, I started out reading Luke Short, then went to Will Henry and Clay Fisher (same guy with different pseudonyms). I thought Will Henry's "No Survivors" and "From Where the Sun Now Stands" were two of the best Western stories I ever read. For years, I was convinced that Costner's "Dances With Wolves" was made from "No Survivors" but then learned it was another writer.

And I've always enjoyed Lamours books. Probably read at least 90% of his stuff, and more than once. I've also read William Johnstone, Ralph Compton, Matt Braun, Terry Johnston, Owen Wisters The Virginian, Alan Lemay, Elmore "Dutch" Leonard, and Elmer Kelton.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• lamore i like, the man who wrote the bourne series of books as well, i read so many different types of books if i like what is written on the back sleeve then i will read the book so really dont have a favourite writer

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• A good friend just loaned me a new Tom Clancy novel, "Against All Enemy's".
    756 pages, there goes another week. . . . . :wink_smile:

Chester :newyear:

Read the first few reviews , Jim. Sounds like a real bomb.

I've been a Clancy fan from the get-go but as I said earlier, most writers (including Clancy) lose it after awhile. Think I'll pass.