New Westerns

There are 68 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 49,228 times. The latest Post () was by Kevin.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I don't think this is a good idea.

Tom Cruise to Star in 'Magnificent Seven' with... 6 Other Guys, Probably

Quick: who are the six biggest movie stars you can think of, not including Tom Cruise? Start compiling your list, because MGM is developing a remake of the 1960 classic Western The Magnificent Seven (which itself was a remake of the Japanese film Seven Samurai). Cruise is attached to star in the project, which focuses on a septet of gunslinging heroes who band together to defend a Mexican peasant village from malicious oppressors.

The original film featured cinematic greats like Steve McQueen, Yul Brynner, Charles Bronson, Robert Vaughn, and more. All big names that became even bigger after this movie. So who would make up today's unstoppable team?

There are plenty of names that come to mind when you think of big Hollywood heroes. If you want to take this route, your cast might look something like this: Will Smith, George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Bruce Willis and Leonardo DiCaprio. You're permitted to substitute Matt Damon, Mark Wahlberg, or Robert Downey, Jr., just so long as you don't have three Departed stars or three Ocean's Eleven stars in there at once. Them's the rules.

There are also a few figures on the rise who might soon reach the stature of the aforementioned; actors who are worthy of consideration for projects like this. Accepting that established star Cruise will lead the pack, the "alternative team" has a wider variety. Michael Fassbender is one of the few "must haves." Fassbender's Inglourious Basterds costar Christoph Waltz deserves a spot, so long as he can try his hand at cowboy talk. And Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who has rapidly re-engaged the public with his thespian charms, wouldn't do so bad under a ten-gallon hat. Next: Anthony Mackie, who might be one of Hollywood's greatest secret weapons. Then there's Philip Seymour Hoffman, who might not fit the build of a cowboy, but can play the attitude like nobody's business. Finally, a twist: Jesse Eisenberg. I sincerely think that the world is waiting to see just how much he has up his sleeve beyond anxious nebbish. The boy's got talent, and he's my final pick.

Who makes up your ideal Magnificent Seven?

http://www.hollywood.com/news/…agnificent_Seven/28184546

• Brynner, McQueen, Coburn, Bronson, Vaughn, Dexter and Buchholz are the only acceptable cast for this old fan. Eli Wallach is the one and only Calvera.
    Tom Cruise is a pint sized egotist, but I applaud his good taste in films. But why remake classics, like "True Grit" or this when there are so many less successful films that justify a new spin?
    Besides, a remake would just have to re-record Bernstein's monumental score to have any chance of success. The music is almost inseparable from the movie and anything less would draw negative remarks.
    I vote to just re-release the 1960 version.

We deal in lead, friend.

• I agree, with the above.
    Tom Cruise, to me, just doesn't fit, in any way,
    size or stature.
    As mentioned, there are plenty of old movies to have a go at,
    particularly westerns.
    There were some great stories that were poorly made into film,
    that could well do with face lift.
    However, like True Grit, The original seven is going to take some beating.
    Indeed, apart from the first one, the sequels of the Seven were poor!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Though I believe that Hollywood’s latest trend of remaking classics is plainly a statement that, especially in the genre of westerns, they just no longer have the gumption to attempt a western that is new. But instead are relying on the classics from the past to bring fans of the genre back to the theater.

With that being said; if a remake of this movie is inevitable my list of actors that I would enjoy seeing in this film is:
    Bruce Willis, Robert Downy Jr, Tom Selleck, Hugh Jackman, Chris Evans, and finally Josh Duhamel (who though typecast as a pretty boy is an actor who could defiantly rise to the occasion).

That for me that would be a cast that I would love to see working together in any movie even if it is a remake of a classic.

[COLOR="Indigo"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"]"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life..." ~John Wayne~[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

• Though I believe that Hollywood’s latest trend of remaking classics is plainly a statement that, especially in the genre of westerns, they just no longer have the gumption to attempt a western that is new. But instead are relying on the classics from the past to bring fans of the genre back to the theater.

With that being said; if a remake of this movie is inevitable my list of actors that I would enjoy seeing in this film is:
    Bruce Willis, Robert Downy Jr, Tom Selleck, Hugh Jackman, Chris Evans, and finally Josh Duhamel (who though typecast as a pretty boy is an actor who could defiantly rise to the occasion).

That for me that would be a cast that I would love to see working together in any movie even if it is a remake of a classic.

I could see that. Willis would be Chris, Downey could do the Bronson role, Jackman the James Coburn role, Evans maybe the Bucholz role, Duhamel the Robert Vaughn role and Selleck the McQueen role. All you need is someone to play Harry, the role played by Brad Dexter. Maybe Jeff Bridges for that one.

• Hi

When I read that yesterday I thought it must be April Ist. With the height of Tom Cruise they should pick another six all around 5' tall and rename the film The Magnificent Seven Dwarfs.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

The problem with your choices some are really too old. Selleck is in his mid 60's, Willis is almost 60, Downy is in his 40's. The rest might work out. I like these men, but just too old to make this movie work.

Maybe we should just get the cast for The Expendables and get them for this movie. We'd get Willis in the deal. Just think about the age. Let's not do this movie.

Didn't they try to do another movie or TV show on this?

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• The Magnificent Seven Dwarfs is one of the best laughs ive had in ages, I think it's telling that given Dukes been dead 40 years now they've only properly remade one of his movies, with the remake culture now in hollywood I think they would have made far more but they realise that the Duke is the Duke and he's much too individual too recycle the way they seem too with everything else.

• Watched Selleck as Jesse Stone from the Parker "Paradise, Mass" novels last weekend. The only character of the seven that he could pull off now is maybe Harry Luck. If someone wanted to try to remake the 7, and I don't think anyone ever should, they are 15 years too late. Cruise might have played Chico against Willis as Chris and Selleck as Vin in 1995, but now I can't imagine Cruise as Chris or Vin or Chico, and you know he wouldn't accept one of the other four. Overall a bad idea that will produce a bad movie.

Looking forward to seeing this in the $5 bin at Walmart.

• Originally Posted by May2, "History’s ‘Hatfields & McCoys’ Sets Cable Ratings Record With 13.9 Million Viewers

History entered the original scripted arena in a big way last night. The premiere of the cable network’s mini-series Hatfields & McCoys drew a staggering 13.9 million total viewers, 4.8 million adults 18-48 and 5.8 million adults 25-54 from 9-11 PM to become the the No.1 non-sports telecast in ad supported cable television history. The combined viewership for Part 1′s two airings was 17 million.

“With all the success we have had at History, we felt strongly for some time that we should own historical drama, and in true History fashion, we have done it, with – pardon the pun – guns ablazin!,” said History’s president and general manger Nancy Dubuc. Hatfields & McCoys, a three-part, six-hour miniseries starring Kevin Costner and Bill Paxton, tells the true American story of a legendary family feud – one that spanned decades and nearly launched a war between Kentucky and West Virginia.

Parts two and three premiere tonight and tomorrow night. The mini is produced by Thinkfactory Media, with Leslie Greif executive producing, and Kevin Costner, Darrell Fetty and Herb Nanas producing. Sony TV us distributing."

http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/hist...llion-viewers/

Sounds like we might have to subscribe to cable. Hope it has a long life.

Chester :newyear:

• [quote='The Irish Duke','http://dukewayne.com/bb/index.php?thread/&postID=112064#post112064']The Magnificent Seven Dwarfs is one of the best laughs ive had in ages, I think it's telling that given Dukes been dead 40 years now they've only properly remade one of his movies, with the remake culture now in hollywood I think they would have made far more but they realise that the Duke is the Duke and he's much too individual too recycle the way they seem too with everything else.[/QUOTE

Found this in a response to an article about the possibility of a ne MAG 7 movie.
    Max Rockatansky Junior writes:
    on May 22nd, 2012 at 10:25:50 PM
    My secret wish has been fulfilled.

Tom Cruise will get the Yul Brynner role, shave his head, get cancer, become all anorexic and palid and then die.

• Hi

I think that is a bit extreme. I'm afraid I can't understand the logic of hoping an actor will die because he is not liked, an off button or an avoidance of a film at the cinema is just as good and far less painful.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• History’s ‘Hatfields & McCoys’ Breaks More Cable Records

Night 3 of History’s Hatfields & McCoys topped Night 1 and Night 2 with 14.3 million total viewers, 6.3 million adults 25-54 and 5.1 million adults 18-49 to become the new most-watched entertainment telecast of all time on ad-supported cable and the No. 1 entertainment telecast on ad-supported cable among 25-54 in 14 years.

The mini’s three parts rank as the top three entertainment telecasts of all time in ad-supported cable history among total viewers. Overall, for the three nights on May 28-30, Hatfields & McCoys averaged 13.8 total viewers, 6 million adults 25-54 and 4.9 million adults 18-49. The 4.9 million ddult 18-49 average makes it the highest-rated miniseries or movie on cable since 1998.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/0…reaks-more-cable-records/

• And it was a damn fine production. Just finished watching all six hours from my DVR. Absolutely engrossing. Of course now, I'm going to have to research to see how accurate it was.
    I believe it's been announced on DVD already so try a rental in the near future.

We deal in lead, friend.

• I really enjoyed it. You really had to shake your head a few times at the senseless murders. Great cast and great story!

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Watched all six hours of it and was pretty impressed. It wasn't Lonesome Dove but it was an interesting six hours with great photography and a good cast. I've always liked Costner.

I was surprised when I went to the link in May2's post and saw responses by people who had never heard of the feud before the miniseries.??????