What Are Your Favorite Non-wayne-movies?

There are 27 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 9,108 times. The latest Post () was by Cole Thornton.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Gang
    Thought this board could use a new poll. Just curious: Which are your favorites BESIDES the JW-films? I don’t mean the films you think are supposed to be on the list of the best movies ever made, so Citizen Kane should be in it. No, not that kind of list. Just the 10 films in your personal absolute 10-Best-List in which JW plays absolutely no part. I know it’s hard. So make a decision. Imagine the ship is sinking just right now and you can save 10 films only - yeah I know, you’d grab the Waynes first but anyway – here’s my own list:

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
    Every single shot in it is great, and O’Toole delivers what I think ranks with the best performances ever put on a movie screen.

THE GREAT ESCAPE
    The great fun, the great adventure, the great McQueen – great escapism. And based on a great true story.

SPARTACUS
    The intelligent epic. One of the „you couldn’t do that today“ films. A great script by Dalton Trumbo, comparing communism and capitalism.

LONELY ARE THE BRAVE
    That sad neo-western, with music by Jerry Goldsmith

WHERE EAGLES DARE
    Not to be taken seriously when Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood decided one weekend to win World War II. I love a lot of „Commando“-movies, like Guns of Navarone, or The Dirty Dozen – but this one is the most fun.

SEARGENT YORK
    Coopers oscar-winning performance, Hawks‘ masterful direction – and the fact that this is one hell of a propaganda movie you must study when you’re interested in Hollwood’s call of arms in 1940.

MY DARLING CLEMENTINE
    Pure Ford.

FROM HERE TO ETERNITY
    The great story under Zinnemann’s direction pulled great performances by Lancaster, Clift, Kerr, Donna Reed and Sinatra. Unforgettable.

THE FAR COUNTRY
    Jimmy Stewart and director Mann at their peak. Even today, one of the most underrated westerns.

NORTH BY NORTHWEST
    Hitchcock‘s and Gary Crant’s best thriller.

• HI ITDO HERE ARE MINE

IT'S A WONDEFULL LIFE

A CHRISTMAS CAROL(ALISTAIR SIM)

WAY OUT WEST(L&H)

RETURN TO SNOWY MOUNTAIN

MAGNIFICENT SEVEN

STAR WARS(TRILOGY)

MALTESE FALCON

BATTLE GROUND

SHENANDOAH

CAPTAINS COURAGOUS

WOMAN OF THE YEAR

ROBIN HOOD(ERROL FLYNN)

MARY POPPINS

THERE ARE A FEW ENGLISH ONES I LIKE TO WHICH YOU HAVE PROBALY NOT HEARD OF

THE LADY KILLERS
    LAVENDER HILL MOB
    TITFIELD THUNDERBOLT
    GENEVIEVE
    :stunned::uhuh:

"COME SEE A FAT OLD MAN SOMETIME"

• Hey Chance,
    we got similar taste! Some of your favorites almost were on my 10-best-list, like Captains Courageous (always gets me when they kill of Spencer Tracy) and Robin Hood (there's a DVD Special Edition coming at us!)

• Not sure if these are my absolute favorites, but these are the ones that come to mind offhand (in no particular order). Please keep in mind that I am a GIRL named Jen and as such I like some things that most fellas (including my husband) do NOT like, most specifically movies with cute smiling men who break into song and start tap dancing.

SINGIN' IN THE RAIN - Yes, it is the best musical ever made. Fills one's heart with joy from start to finish.

CASABLANCA - Bittersweet perfection. There's nothing new I can say so I won't. Gives me goosebumps.

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT - A hilarious Capra film that never gets old despite the fact that it's been around for almost 70 years. It's absolutely jam-packed with sweet & memorable moments. Clark Gable's dimples alone are worth the price of admission (purrrrr). Ward Bond is in this.

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE - Pure Capra-corn - so sweet and so wonderful. We all know that Ward Bond is in this one as well.

NOTORIOUS - My vote for best Hitchcock. Bergman & Grant are amazing together and the story really does put you on the edge of your seat. Claude Rains is one of my favorites; he is such a good actor he is able to make us feel sorry for him by the end of the film despite how terrible he is.

THE MALTESE FALCON - Classic Bogart, who maybe had as much charisma as John Wayne. Love to watch him act just with his eyes. Love Sydney Greenstreet and Elisha Cook, Jr. in this as well. And isn't Ward Bond in this one, too?

SONS OF THE DESERT - Laurel & Hardy's best feature-length film; it has the energy of all their best shorts combined with a funny and outrageous yet still plausible plotline. Too many classic moments to mention ("two peas in a pod-DUH"). I do enjoy WAY OUT WEST as well, though - especially the musical numbers.

TOP HAT - This is probably the best Astaire-Rogers musical with the score crammed full of Irving Berlin standards. It's like candy.

ON THE TOWN - Another Gene Kelly musical - fun, infectious, & brash.

SWING TIME - Another Astaire-Rogers musical that I adore. Jerome Kern score.

Some honorable mentions: AN AMERICAN IN PARIS, HOLIDAY (Hepburn & Grant), NOW VOYAGER, GONE WITH THE WIND, SHALL WE DANCE (Astaire-Rogers film with a Gershwin [*sigh*] score), anything with Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire.

I also simply adore Harold Lloyd, but would have a hard time picking a favorite film (either SAFETY LAST or THE KID BROTHER, maybe).

I guess that's good for now. I hope you guys will still respect me in the morning. ;)

• Some GOOD! choices there Jen
    SINGING IN THE RAIN GOOD CHOICE
    not so sure about the rest not seen may of them all the way through alawys interupted.
    :stunned:

"COME SEE A FAT OLD MAN SOMETIME"

• I can't believe I forgot to mention a couple. I know this is more than ten but I really like movies. :)

THE THIRD MAN - directed by Sir Carol Reed. Hard to believe this is the same guy who made OLIVER! Anyway, it's dark and moody and ultra-super-cool; the style is a cross between Hitchcock and Orson Welles himself. (This movie owes a lot to CITIZEN KANE and Orson Welles said that he learned how to make movies from watching Stagecoach over and over again, so it also owes a lot to John Ford.) Anyway, Joseph Cotten is superb and so's the zither music.

RADIO DAYS - Woody Allen's homage to his 1940s childhood - it's really nothing more than a collection of episodes revolving around a Jewish family and the songs and shows they hear on the radio. Some wonderfully good music and a sweet & innocent piece of nostalgia.

• My Lord, my Lord, where do I start?!?! There are so many ......

I'll post first, then read the other replies. The short answer is, I love all kinds of movies, and I have so many favorites that I can't even narrow them down to a top 10 or 20. I started jotting them down and found I couldn't type as fast as I thought of them (and I type 80wpm), so I finally just made myself stop. Here are just a few of my all-time favorites, just off the top of my head (can you say "eclectic?").

an affair to remember (the one with Cary Grant/Deborah Kerr)
    armageddon
    beauty and the beast
    blazing saddles
    charade
    dances with wolves
    dave
    fame
    gigo
    gone with the wind
    halloween
    Almost anything at all directed by Hitchcock
    independence day
    it's a wonderful life
    jaws
    lean on me
    life with father
    meet me in st louis
    mr roberts
    nosferatu
    on golden pond
    sense and sensibility (the Emma Thompson one)
    seven brides for seven brothers
    silverado
    singin in the rain
    star trek II and IV
    the original star wars trilogy
    summer stock
    the african queen
    the american president
    the godfather trilogy
    the great escape
    the philadelphia story
    the shawshank redemption
    the sound of music
    the trouble with angels
    the wizard of oz
    to kill a mockingbird
    tombstone
    twilight zone: the movie
    young frankenstein

... and lately I've been watching old movies on AMC and TCM like the end of the world is coming, and have just recently fulfilled a goal of mine: to see all three major Zorro films: the Antonio Banderas one, the Tyron Power one, and the Douglas Fairbanks one. Fairbanks blew the others out of the water - and that's saying something.

This is getting too long, so ... singing off for now,

--- Sue
    who just loves discussing movies, and who is even now watching The Undefeated on AMC again

EDIT: Oops. I didn't read the rules first. I don't know if I can get the list down to just 10, sinking ship or not. I'll give it some serious thought!
    :dead:

• Guys, did y'all notice that the girls just can't make a decision for just TEN movies? It's the same when the have to make the decision if they are about to turn left or right when driving. ;)
    If the ship sinks they would go down, end of picture (nobody mentioned Titanic yet?)
    :cowboy:

• Me again. I just read the thread and thought of 2 things to add. No, I'm not adding to my list, I swear!!!

re: Jen's comment on Singin in the Rain: you summed up my feelings quite eloquently. I have only to add that I was watching TV the day they reported that Donald O'Connor had died, and they kept airing a little "in memoriam" filmclip on TCM or AMC. I sat there stunned and sad, and when they played his number "Make 'Em Laugh" from Singing in the Rain, I thought I might have to change the channel because I would be too sad to watch it. Well, I watched it anyway, and by the time he took his first pratfall I was smiling; by the time he got knocked off the sofa by the mannequin I was giggling, by the time he took that board slap in the face I was laughing through tears, and when he ran into the brick wall and couldn't get his nose straight, huge guffaws were echoing round my living room. I can't think of any better legacy from, or any better tribute, to an actor.

re: Gigo, which is probably the most obscure one on my list: It was written and directed by, and starred, Jackie Gleason, and if all you know of Jackie Gleason is The Honeymooners, you are missing a great treat. This film moves me with the best of them, and Jackie Gleason was one of the few actors who can move me from laughter to tears to laughter in about a minute and a half without uttering a single word. The man was a genius.

~~Sue

• Hey Sue! Glad to hear you like musicals as well. I saw Summer Stock on your list and couldn't help grinning. Couldn't be because Gene Kelly as Joe Ross is just so fine now could it? (Just for the record, my affection for Gene equals my affection for Duke.) That dance he does when he tears the newspaper up with his feet is hands down my favorite dance number ever. And I've seen lots of 'em.

I enjoy lots of the same movies on your list, like The African Queen, The Philadelphia Story and Sense and Sensibility - actually nearly all of the Jane Austen adaptations.

Yes, Donald O'Connor's "Make 'Em Laugh" number is amazing. I think the funniest bit is where he's flirting with the dummy on the couch, and then the dummy starts flirting back.

Re Gigot, I've seen that one too and I found it very sweet and enjoyable. But it was actually directed by Gene Kelly and not Jackie Gleason. I'm pretty sure The Great One wrote the screenplay and composed the music for it, though. The film was heavily edited by the studio and Gene was terribly & bitterly disappointed with what they did to it. You're right - Jackie Gleason was a very very good actor and this film proves it. Regarding "The Honeymooners," I always loved Ralph Kramden and I always longed for him to just catch one break. Every time something good did happen to him, he found a way to squander it. *sigh*

• Hey girls, notice how guys are so prescriptive and think that everything has to be just one way when in most cases there are lots of different ways to do the same thing? ;)

But hey, I didn't do so bad. I had twelve plus some honorable mentions.

No Titanic on my list. I admit I got wrapped up in the visual grandeur of it the first time I watched it, but it doesn't hold up on subsequent viewings. Too soggy.

• Re Gigot, I've seen that one too and I found it very sweet and enjoyable. But it was actually directed by Gene Kelly and not Jackie Gleason.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oops! Of course, you're absolutely right! How could I forget that! <g>

• Okay, I cut it down to 10, and it was painful!

gone with the wind
    Almost anything at all directed by Hitchcock (if you hold a gun to my head, I'll pick either Psycho, Rear Window or North by Northwest. If it's a BIG gun, I'll pick Rear Window)
    it's a wonderful life (but NOT the colorized version! Blecch!)
    singin in the rain
    the african queen
    the great escape (I found a very interesting site all about the true story behind the
    movie: The Great Escape)
    the philadelphia story
    the sound of music
    the wizard of oz
    to kill a mockingbird

• A FOREIGN AFFAIR (1948) *my all time fave* with Jean Arthur & Marlene Dietrich

THE MORE THE MERRIER (1943) with Jean Arthur & Joel McCrea

VICTOR VICTORIA (1982)with Julie Andrews

THE OTHERS (2001) with Nicole Kidman

BRINGING UP BABY (1938) with Kate Hepburn & Cary Grant

A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN (1992) with Madonna, Geena Davis & Tom Hanks

:agent::agent::agent::agent::agent:

• Thorsten, you can even link "Gunfight of the OK Corrall" (one of my favorites as well, I love the Frankie Laine ballad, wish they would put the whole soundtrack out one of these days) to JW:
    In the advertisments of "The Sons of Katie Elder" they used the phrase "from the makers of Gunfight of the OK Corrall", or something like that.

• Well, better late than never! As with the previous posts, it's hard to limit it to 10. My criteria for whether it's a favorite movie is that I can watch a movie over and over and still enjoy it as much each time.

Here's my list, not in any particular order -

Treasure of the Sierra Madre

African Queen

Casablanca

Robin Hood (Errol Flynn) (Our seven year old watched that movie recently and decided to be Robin Hood for Halloween - it's the first time in 4 years he hasn't been a cowboy! We can hardly wait for the DVD version.)

North by Northwest

The Bishop's Wife

The Sound of Music

and, for some more recent offerings -

Indiana Jones trilogy

Back to the Future trilogy

Toy Story 2

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

The Patriot (Mel is quite handy with his tomahawk :headbonk: )

Chester :cowboy: (with Mrs. Chester :rolleyes: to follow . . . )

• OK, MRS. Chester here, with her thoughts on which movies to take in the event of a horrific disaster. Of course, I am assuming itdo means 10 movies per PERSON (at least I'm hoping that's what he means).

While Chester and I have a few overlapping choices, there are some movies I dearly love that I would want along. So here's my list, including the overlapping ones:

(also, not in any particular order . . . )

I'll just list these so you know which ones we both like -

Indiana Jones trilogy

Back to the Future trilogy

The Bishop's Wife

Now for my own list (since Chester is going to bring the above titles :) ) -

Frequency

Everafter

Return to Me

Iron Will

An Affair to Remember

It's A Wonderful Life

Singin' in the Rain

Ground Hog Day

Braveheart

Well, I held it down to 10, but it was hard - there are SO many movies . . . .

Mrs. Chester :rolleyes:

• Here goes Chester,
    Gone With the Wind
    The Sound of Music
    The Wizard of Oz
    The Christmas Story
    Grease
    Smokey and the Bandit
    Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    It's A Wonderful Life
    Rear Window
    Space Cowboys