Careful Please (1926)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 23 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by ethanedwards.

• Careful Please (1926)

CAREFUL PLEASE

DIRECTED AND WRITTEN BY NORMAN TAUROG
      PRODUCED BY LLOYD HAMILTON
      LLOYD HAMILTON CORPORATION

Is this Duke, to the left of the man in the white shirt,and looking out of the window??
      Sceenshots, with thanks to Elly
      Information From IMDb

Plot Summary
      A bill collector working in a tough neighborhood manages to rescue a young socialite from kidnappers.

Full Cast
      Lloyd Hamilton ... Bill Collector
      Marcella Daly ... The Girl
      Louise Carver ... Mrs. Riley
      Stanley Blystone
      Dick Sutherland ... Tim Riley
      Eddie Boland
      Glen Cavender ... (uncredited)
      Theodore Lorch ... (uncredited)
      John Wayne (as Marion Morrison) (uncredited)

Cinematography
      Leonard Smith

Trivia
      Unknown

Filming Locations
      Unknown
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 14 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Re: Ham Hamilton Comedies 1920's

Careful Please a 1926 movie, was one of the Ham Hamilton's Comedies.
      It was written and directed by Norman Taurog,
      and produced and released by Lloyd Hamilton.
      It starred Lloyd Hamilton and Marcella Daly.
      It is now widely believed after studying screencaps,
      that this movie is the very earliest one known,
      where John Wayne appears, and his visibly seen

Thanks to our member Elly
      we are now pleased to add this rare 25 minute two- reeler,
      to our ever growing list of early movies appearing Duke.
      Although only just noticeable, from the screenshots,
      it sure looks like Duke.

User Review

The cat sequence alone is worth the price of admission

17 October 2004 | by wmorrow59 (Westchester County, NY)

Lloyd Hamilton, the star of this two-reeler, is almost forgotten today, but after seeing his work in Careful Please and a few other silent comedies I can only hope that more of his films are found, restored, and made available to the public. He was a gifted, unusual comedian whose movies deserve to be better known.

For those who haven't seen him, Lloyd "Ham" Hamilton was a large man with oddly prissy mannerisms. He had the semi-flattened features of a boxer, but could twist his highly expressive face into comical looks of dismay, disdain, and disapproval. He walked with a distinctive waddle (apparently the result of a broken leg sustained on the set of one of his early films) and wore a flat cloth cap. Hamilton's basic persona was that of a hapless loser who always seems to be having the worst day of his life. His comedies-- at least the ones I've seen --ramble from sequence to sequence without much concern for narrative coherence or character motivation, but he didn't seem to care so why should we? The gags in Hamilton's films are often clever and surprising, and even the "borrowed" routines are performed with vigor.

In Careful Please the sissified Hamilton plays a bill collector working in a tough neighborhood. How tough is it? It's so tough that babies sharpen straight razors on leather strops in their cribs. It's so tough that the first bill collector who arrives at the apartment of deadbeat tough guy Tim Riley is simply hurled out the window. Riley doesn't want to pay up, and doesn't want to see his furniture repossessed, either. Our hero is the second bill collector to arrive at Riley's apartment, but Ham proves to be more resourceful than he looks, managing not only to triumph over Riley but also to rescue the young socialite Riley and his wife are holding for ransom. (Very little is made of this kidnapping subplot, strangely enough. In fact it barely qualifies as a "subplot" and seems like more of a passing whim on the screenwriters' part.)

The rescued socialite instantly falls for our boy and invites him to her palatial home. Their scene together there is the film's comic highpoint, as Ham assumes the hoity-toity manners he believes are expected of him. The maid serves him miniature sandwiches with tiny fish in them, and one by one the fish fall out of the sandwiches and into his suit. Needless to say there are several kittens on the premises, and within minutes they're climbing all over Ham trying to find the fish in his clothing. His expressions are priceless. Another nice moment comes when the young lady makes it clear that she expects some love-making, so Ham manfully swigs a big glass of milk before embracing her. I also enjoyed the dialog title assigned to the young lady moments later when her jealous guardian returns: "Great heavens! It's my jealous guardian!"

Various complications ensue, and before long it's time for a thrill sequence: Ham finds himself in a car that is being lifted high into the air by workmen who believe they are hoisting a piano or something. Honestly I don't know exactly what's supposed to be happening by that point, but it's funny. By the time of the final fade-out gag I knew I wanted to see more Lloyd Hamilton comedies. Unfortunately much of the man's prime output from the 1920s was destroyed in a vault fire, but there are survivors. Careful Please, for one, ranks as one of the more enjoyable short comedies from a comedy-rich era.
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 24 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• John Wayne in Lloyd "Ham" Hamilton comedy shorts

Hi

I am convinced this is JW in Careful please 1926 Lloyd Hamilton comedy short.

Careful please 1926 Ham 3.jpg

Please could you look at the Video Clip posted here and let me have your comments. thanks Elly

http://dukefilmography.com/careful_please.html
      Files
      Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

The post was edited 1 time, last by Elly: spelling ().

• Re: Ham Hamilton Comedies (1920-1929)

Hi Keith

its not hard to tell when you watch the clip but I agree the screen captures are not great. Sorry I cannot get better quality ones. or post the clip.
      Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

ethanedwards wrote:

Elly,

Thanks for posting these wonderful frames.
      So hard to tell, but in the 3rd Photo,
      it sure looks like Duke's nose!!

I agree with Keith. That sure does look like Duke in that window.

And in the last shot, is that Duke behind and left of the man in the white shirt?

Mark
      "I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

Here is part of an email I received in reply to me sending these screen captures to Tim Lilley (BIG TRAIL MAGAZINE)

Hi Elly,
      What an exciting possibility. I'd love to know how you came upon this. It certainly is a possibility judging from the images. I had covered JW's career, two films at a time in a bimonthly format. I kept pushing Ham Hamilton back, hoping some concrete evidence would surface, but no luck. Finally, in one of my last issues, I said what I could about the subject.
      Thanks for the sharing.
      Tim

dukefan1 wrote:

I agree with Keith. That sure does look like Duke in that window.

And in the last shot, is that Duke behind and left of the man in the white shirt?

Mark

Hi Mark,
      That would be a very young John Wayne. I am with Elly on this one, as I too am convinced that this is John Wayne in this film.
      "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

dukefan1 wrote:

Elly and Bob, you two are doing an awesome job. The tenacity and hard work really pays off. Great job!

Mark

Thank you

The post was edited 2 times, last by Elly: spelling ().

• Re: Ham Hamilton Comedies- Careful Please (1926)

RoughRider wrote:

Elly sent me the video. I have edited it for brevity and also included stills at the end.

dukefilmography.com/careful_please.html

Neil,
      May I take this opportunity on behalf of the JWMB, of also thanking you
      for all your hard work in researching these early movies.
      Along with Elly and Bob, you have achieved so much.

Thank you for the work on the screen shots,
      and in my mind,there is doubt that we see Duke,
      being even more recognizable in the last few stills!!
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • Re: Ham Hamilton Comedies- Careful Please (1926)

ethanedwards wrote:

Neil,
      May I take this opportunity on behalf of the JWMB, of also thanking you
      for all your hard work in researching these early movies.
      Along with Elly and Bob, you have achieved so much.

Thank you for the work on the screen shots,
      and in my mind,there is doubt that we see Duke,
      being even more recognizable in the last few stills!!

Thanks, but it's really Elly's tenacity and dedication that's key here.
    • Re: Careful Please (1926)

Thanks to Elly,
      This 'find' also changes the history of
      Duke's Filmography.
      It has been long considered that
      Brown of Harvard was the first movie where Duke was first visibly seen,
      now this has changed, well at least for the time being.
      If the production dates run true, which I feel sure they do,
      then Careful Please now becomes that 'first' movie!
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

.. ..