John Wayne and Burt Lancaster

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 23 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Coolhandluke69.

• John Wayne and Burt Lancaster

I found this information from imbd and thought it would be great to comment on this as a topic.

During the late 1950s John Wayne approached Lancaster, suggesting they make a western together. Lancaster laughed off the idea, suggesting they would need Kirk Douglas in the film as well. In reality, Lancaster would not work with Wayne, Hollywood's most prominent Republican supporter who had been actively involved in the McCarthy witch hunts as a founding member and later President of the right-wing Motion Picture Alliance for the Preservation of American Ideals. Lancaster had only agreed to co-star opposite Gary Cooper, a moderate Republican who gave a vague testimony to the House Unamerican Activities Committee (HUAC) in 1947, after Cooper had starred in the anti-McCarthyism western High Noon (1952). Despite this, Lancaster joined a minute's silence for Wayne on 11 June 1979 while filming Cattle Annie and Little Britches (1981) after Wayne died in Los Angeles.

What are your thoughts about this and opinion about Burt Lancaster?

I knew he was a very liberal person, and must admit that I didn't care much for his politics, but I do like overall his acting. Some of the movies I did like him in was: From Here to Eternity, Elmer Gantry, and Field of Dreams. What movie did you think Duke was talking about that he wanted to work a western movie with Lancaster?

Cheers :cool: Hondo Duke Lane

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"
      - John Wayne quote

The post was edited 1 time, last by Hondo Duke Lane ().

• Re: John Wayne and Burt Lancaster

Great idea, Hondo. Since Lancaster joked about dragging Kirk Douglas into the movie, I guess that it would have been after the success of "Gunfight at the OK Corral" (1957). So, I'm going to speculate that it may have been "The Horse Soldiers".
      I too am at odds with Burt's political positions, but he never hammered the public with them and he even played against type in some of his films. I'm a big fan of "The Crimson Pirate", "Vera Cruz", "The Scalphunters", "Valdez is Coming" and especially "The Professionals".
      I would have loved to see Duke, Lancaster and Douglas in "Lonesome Dove".

We deal in lead, friend.

Gorch wrote:

Great idea, Hondo. Since Lancaster joked about dragging Kirk Douglas into the movie, I guess that it would have been after the success of "Gunfight at the OK Corral" (1957). So, I'm going to speculate that it may have been "The Horse Soldiers".
      I too am at odds with Burt's political positions, but he never hammered the public with them and he even played against type in some of his films. I'm a big fan of "The Crimson Pirate", "Vera Cruz", "The Scalphunters", "Valdez is Coming" and especially "The Professionals".
      I would have loved to see Duke, Lancaster and Douglas in "Lonesome Dove".

We deal in lead, friend.

Ditto here on opinion of Lancaster. I knew he wasnt a rep but at least he had the class not to thrust his opinions on others. I loved him in mnay movies including "Corral" The Professionals, Judgement At Nuremberg, Tough Guys, Birdman of Alcatraz, etx.
      Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Despite what some may think about Lancaster's politics his class and ability shines through and we're all able to recognise that via the appreciation of his great body of work.

I would have loved to have seen him work with the Duke but I can't think of a suitable role for him.
      Regards
      Robbie

Anybody remember the movie Airport? The original one, with Burt Lancaster and Dean Martin? Could you picture the Duke up there with Dean trying to land that plane in the snow storm? I could. Not sure where Kirk Douglas would fit in though.

Love reading your responses.

In looking at the movies Duke did in the late 50's and maybe 60, I am looking at Rio Bravo (1959), The Horse Soldiers (1959), The Alamo (1960), and North to Alaska (1960). Prior to 1959 he didn't do a western since The Searchers in 1956, so the pickings were slim. Of course, Duke could had another project in mind with Landcaster that never materialize. But a moive with these two could have been a blockbuster for sure.

If I based my viewing habits to a person's politics, I wouldn't be seeing any movies. This is about an appreciation toward an entertainer and what they bring to the silver screen (TV screen in my case), for my entertainment.

I do like Burt Landcaster in the movies, and I am very entertained with most of his performances. He has that kind of personality I enjoy. It is a shame that he let his politics get in the way with working with Duke. IMO that's his misfortunite loss.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"
      - John Wayne quote

Personally, I would have loved to see Duke work with Charlton Heston, Gary Cooper, Ernest Borgnine, Yul Brynner, James Coburn, Spencer Tracy, James Cagney, Humphrey Bogart and Telly Savalas. Not all in the same film but---just to see Duke work with these fantastic people.

Carl, not to add salt to the womb, but Spencer Tracy and Duke were in How the West was Won, and yes they were not directly in scenes together for Tracy was the narrator and Duke had a small part with Henry Morgan in a scene that had Gen. Grant in a conversation with Gen. Sherman. How picky are we? LOL. Just having fun with you Carl!

Cheers :cool: Hondo

- John Wayne quote

wtrayah wrote:

Anybody remember the movie Airport? The original one, with Burt Lancaster and Dean Martin? Could you picture the Duke up there with Dean trying to land that plane in the snow storm? I could. Not sure where Kirk Douglas would fit in though.

Didn't we see this in The High and The Mighty? Minus Dean. And minus the snow storm?

Cheers :cool:

- John Wayne quote

The Ringo Kid wrote:

Personally, I would have loved to see Duke work with Charlton Heston, Gary Cooper, Ernest Borgnine, Yul Brynner, James Coburn, Spencer Tracy, James Cagney, Humphrey Bogart and Telly Savalas. Not all in the same film but---just to see Duke work with these fantastic people.

I agree, we all would have a greater Duke movie history to look back on if that were the case. In my original comment I was chastising the article reviewer, not Burt Lancaster. I've enjoyed Burt in the films of his that I have seen. In fact in my memory of the first movie I can remember watching, it was Burt Lancaster in the movie, "Trapeze"1956, that would have made me around 9 years old. Another, from that time was "The Beast from Hollow mountain," with Guy Madison. That was about An American cowboy living in Mexico who discovers his cattle are being eaten by a giant prehistoric dinosaur. For some reason, its not well remembered. (-;

Chester :newyear:

Just to remind you of our dedicated thread
      Screen Legends- Burt Lancaster

and thought I'd seen this IMDB quote before,
      it was posted some 4 years ago in the above thread
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

Gorch wrote:

Carl, I have to add Steve McQueen to that list. For the record, Yul Brynner appeared in the same film as Duke - "Cast a Giant Shadow" - but didn't appear in any scenes together.

We deal in lead, friend.

Heh heh, I forgot about the "King of Cool." I would have liked to see them together too-war movie or western wouldnt matter to me ;-))

Thanks for the correction though. Its been probably near 40 years since I last saw that movie but glad they did work on the same movie though ;-))

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_card_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="3" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">