John Wayne and Burt Lancaster

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 22 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Alvaro.

• Re: John Wayne and Burt Lancaster

Hondo Duke Lane wrote:

Carl, not to add salt to the womb, but Spencer Tracy and Duke were in How the West was Won, and yes they were not directly in scenes together for Tracy was the narrator and Duke had a small part with Henry Morgan in a scene that had Gen. Grant in a conversation with Gen. Sherman. How picky are we? LOL. Just having fun with you Carl!

Cheers :cool: Hondo

Hi H/ no probs, I needed to be corrected ;-)) Its been ages since i saw this movie too. Im not really a big fan of it but still liked it. Just wish Duke had more in it than some of the others.
      Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

chester7777 wrote:

I agree, we all would have a greater Duke movie history to look back on if that were the case. In my original comment I was chastising the article reviewer, not Burt Lancaster. I've enjoyed Burt in the films of his that I have seen. In fact in my memory of the first movie I can remember watching, it was Burt Lancaster in the movie, "Trapeze"1956, that would have made me around 9 years old. Another, from that time was "The Beast from Hollow mountain," with Guy Madison. That was about An American cowboy living in Mexico who discovers his cattle are being eaten by a giant prehistoric dinosaur. For some reason, its not well remembered. (-;

Chester :newyear:

Heh heh, the good thing on Duke not working with some of my favorites-and that also includes Errol Flynn too, is that he was busy making the movies we all enjoy so much ;-))

chester7777 wrote:

There was NO grass growing under the feet of Duke, once he got moving ! (-;

You all are getting me in the mood for another John Wayne marathon ;-))

Hondo Duke Lane wrote:

I found this information from imbd and thought it would be great to comment on this as a topic.

What are your thoughts about this and opinion about Burt Lancaster?

I knew he was a very liberal person, and must admit that I didn't care much for his politics, but I do like overall his acting. Some of the movies I did like him in was: From Here to Eternity, Elmer Gantry, and Field of Dreams. What movie did you think Duke was talking about that he wanted to work a western movie with Lancaster?

Cheers :cool: Hondo Duke Lane

Actually I find this pretty interesting, especially in light of a newsreel that John Wayne was in. The newsreel was of a rally called the "Crusade for Freedom" and was put on by the MPA (of which Wayne was president for several terms), and where the speakers, including Wayne, Jack Warner and others, were speaking out against communism (which is what the MPA did). During the newsreel several stars were shown signing pledges promising to fight communism. Lancaster was one of the signers. I wonder of this reviewer would change his ideas of Lancaster if he knew Lancaster attended a McCarthy-Era anti-communism rally sponsored by the MPA, and signed an anti-communism pledge!
      "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

Colorado Bob wrote:

I wonder of this reviewer would change his ideas of Lancaster if he knew Lancaster attended a McCarthy-Era anti-communism rally sponsored by the MPA, and signed an anti-communism pledge!

I suspect many reviewers are not as interested in the facts, as they are in printing their preconceived views.

• I can imagine John Wayne, Burt Lancaster, Charlton Heston in THE ALAMO. The joke of including Kirk Douglas was just a way to go out of the idea. It is very sad to me, I always dreamt about watching a movie of them two GREAT GREAT actors and stars. I do not mind about their politics, I care about their films.
      All the best to the Wayna and Lancaster fans, always.